PDA

View Full Version : Extreme machines?

L14MNP
24-08-08, 10:37 AM
Anyone seen a British programme on Discovery Turbo called that before?

I caught a bit of it last night after the epic afternoon of fitting a decat to an MR2, never again! lol

They basically pitch two vehicles of the same description but built in different countries against each other and rate them on handling/agility etc

The one I watched was Police cars, with Britain represented by the Swedish 850 T5 estate and USA an LAPD Ford Crown Victoria lol

The Ford surprised me, it was very nimble given it's size and RWD helped no end. The Volvo spun out on the elk (sp?) test, ironic given it is a Swedish test. It also struggled on the slalom parts of the course. Especially reversing, again down to it being FWD.

The only thing the Crown Vic was atrocious at was breaking lol It doesn't have ABS and tbh it is dangerous!

It would have beaten the Volvo aroud the handling/agility course were it not for hitting a cone and incurring a 5 second penalty, and would have won overall if it could actually stop lol

Very surprising results imo. I would have expected it to run rings around the yank tank. What do you all reckon?

Philsutton
24-08-08, 06:30 PM
Shocking, I would have thought the Volvo would have spaz'd all over the yank. Still they are a tank as well.

FUSION X16XE
24-08-08, 06:40 PM
Yer ive seen this before the Crown Vics breaking was insane! lol almost doubled the Volvos!

Jack
24-08-08, 07:50 PM
I'm sure there used to be another program of that name, with Jeremy Clarkson...

I caught a bit of it last night after the epic afternoon of fitting a decat to an MR2, never again! lol
Fail :p I'm having mine fitted on Wednesday hopefully. I'm having FCM in Bristol do it though, not daft enough to attempt it myself lol

L14MNP
25-08-08, 10:38 AM
Yeah there is a Clarkson programme called that too, that's why I wasn't sure if it was it's proper name lol

Oh yes the decat! We knew it was an **** on, and was quoted as a 5 hour job on IMOC the trustworthy places around here wouldn't touch it either. TBH mate it wouldn't have been that bad had it not been for one of the cat - turbo studs came out instead of just the nut, which meant having to take off the oil filter housing.

At least it was worthwhile, made a massive difference and also made it a load deeper :S Lol. How much are you paying to have your decat fitted Jack?

Nothing is easy on those engines. NOTHING lol

Dod
25-08-08, 10:43 AM
I saw it advertised but just assumed it was a Men and Motors style Yank effort at Pimp My Ride sorta Junk.

L14MNP
25-08-08, 10:55 AM
TBH mate the rest of them are probs ****. This was alright because of the fully marked up LAPD car on a British runway/test track.

Most American cars suck usually, as we all know. Like the POS Caddy I was following that still had red indicators.
What? Are you braking and have a short or are your ghey hat indicators the wrong colour and you shouldn't be on the roads? lol
Nothing beats my sweet test drive in a Chrysler Le Baron though Lol. A local garage has a couple and since I saw Freddie got fingered I had to give it a go.
Pimp red velour and vinyl in one place is a site to behold.

Dod
25-08-08, 11:15 AM
Nothing beats my sweet test drive in a Chrysler Le Baron though.

GHAY. lol

L14MNP
25-08-08, 11:36 AM
lol lol Totally! :D

Jack
25-08-08, 12:02 PM
How much are you paying to have your decat fitted Jack?
Ask me on Thursday lol

The garage are very competent with the GT4 though, they've done a couple before so know what they're doing. Plus its a decent (Aussie) decat, not a cheap poo one (XS lol)

L14MNP
25-08-08, 12:03 PM
LOL. Aye, it's the XS ones the crack isn't it? Sounds like you're taking it to the best place mate :)

*edit. Noticed you have literally just posted, this is the first time I have refreshed PNG for about 15 mins? but I look like I was constantly awaiting a reply lol I fail.