PDA

View Full Version : Cutting out

Leeboo
22-08-08, 04:22 PM
Its been happening for a couple of days now, and I've had enough. :mad:

Whilst driving along the road, the car keeps losing throttle, as in, it just dies and starts to slow down. It sometimes chugs very violently before dieing, as if its dumping in little bits of fuel. If the clutch is pressed in, it dies out instead of idleing. This means I have to pull over and turn the car over and pump the throttle until she decides to bite. Even then she splutters for a bit.

When it started a few days ago, it was due to a kinked petrol pipe. I replaced this pipe.. After that it was fine for a while, now its started again, except there are no kinks. Can't even go for 2 miles before it happens. Its a 1300 8v.

This is really really grinding my gears at the moment, can't go anywhere.

Any help is VERY much appreciated.

General Baxter
22-08-08, 04:34 PM
when was it last serviced?

stuartyj21
22-08-08, 04:36 PM
i would try a new set of filters and see if that helps..

General Baxter
22-08-08, 04:37 PM
dizzy cap, rotor arm, plugs and leads :)

£19.99 for the lot from halfords :)

Leeboo
22-08-08, 04:46 PM
I put new plugs, oil and filter in a few days ago, along with new clutch etc but thats irrelevant.

I may have to chance what you've suggested baxter, its probably the next logical step, along with what Stuarty has suggested.

Cheers both of you, if anybody else has any suggestions, tear away!

Andy
22-08-08, 05:11 PM
Check your fuel pump aswell make sure its working ok,take it out and press it by hand manually making sure its putting out good pressure

Andy
22-08-08, 05:12 PM
Also try spraying carb cleaner down your carb and blast it out with it running

craig green
22-08-08, 05:18 PM
My instincts say carburettor. Are the plugs gapped correctly as opposed to chucked in outta the box?

Get it to a good garage or old skool rolling road/carb tuner.

Andy
22-08-08, 05:21 PM
My instincts say carburettor. Are the plugs gapped correctly as opposed to chucked in outta the box?

Get it to a good garage or old skool rolling road/carb tuner.
Yeah,it is a Pierburg i suppose

dj_wudgey
22-08-08, 05:38 PM
have you ran it right in to the red on fuel gauge mine does it all time if i do just get an airline and blow all the jets on top out thats all i do and it goes away with my 1300 sr

Leeboo
23-08-08, 02:35 AM
If it was due to plug gaps, would it be happening straight after plugs are changed? Or could it start a while after? I just fitted them straight from the box like I usually do mate? What are other symtoms of incorrect gaps?

This might sound silly, but, the car has no in line fuel filter, just the one in the pump (I've got the kind of pump that can't be taken apart to clean the filter). I bought some petrol pipe today to replace the old crappy yellow plastic pipe and got an in line fuel filter also.

I changed the tank too, so, could the pump have sucked up dirt from the new (2nd hand) tank? And now its stuck in the pump? Thats just something I thought of.

Wudgy - someone else suggested blowing ot the jets too, must try that.

Cheers to all of you, just trying to narrow down possibilities!

Andy
23-08-08, 11:26 AM
I wouldnt say its ignition,definately fuel related,check your pump,if thats fine it must be the carb,take it apart and clean it with carb cleaner or just spray it into it while its running but keep the revs high when doing this

Leeboo
23-08-08, 12:45 PM
Cheers Andy!!

Must get some of that Carb cleaner!!

Can't fit my fuel lines and big ass filter til the rain goes away, very gay :tard:

Leeboo
24-08-08, 02:08 PM
Sorry for the essay!!!!!!!!.....

Well I fitted my new fuel line and mounted a big fuel filter to the bulkhead, and took the car for a spin last night. (I didn't expect the new pipe and filter to cure the problem).

The usual story. I took it out for a spin and it pulled strong up through all the gears, I gave it some stick and it was getting plenty of fuel etc. No problems there. But then after about 2/3 miles, the problem was back. The car jolted me forward, and I could get any throttle. As the car was rolling to a stop (the engine goes down with the over-run, only dies when you stop or clutch), I pressed the throttle a few times and I could hear a sucking noise from the carb, despite no actual throttle or acceleration. As usual I had to sit and pump the throttle and she finally fired up, but chugged violenty for a bit, at this point I brought her back to the house.

It seems odd that the problem happens after a certain distance etc. The car was orginally a 1 litre, but now has a MK2 Astra 1300 carb. I was told that an extra wire would have to be run to the astra coil (live permanent or something?) because the 1.0 has a resistive wire? But the astra coil looked identical to the 1.0 item, so I just joined up the two wires of the coil to the 1.0 loom (then theres just the other two going to the dizzy). She ran fine for a good while like this though? No problems at first.

I should also mention that I noticed a little spark from the ignition whilst turning over. It was from the ignition barrel area, I have the cowling off.

Does any of this make a difference?

Andy
24-08-08, 08:57 PM
Take me a pic of your full engine bay mate please just to rule some things out

Leeboo
24-08-08, 09:02 PM
2 secs Andy

Leeboo
24-08-08, 09:08 PM
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd139/leeberto/S4010076.jpg

Andy
24-08-08, 09:15 PM
Everything looks ok,strange......
Have you used the astra coil?

Leeboo
24-08-08, 09:22 PM
Yeah Andy, I can't think of anything? Yeah I've used the Astra coil. Its running off the 1.0 wires.

I took it for a spin again this evening. As usual, went about 2 miles and then played up. After it plays up, it just keeps dying the whole way back to the house. :confused:

There's sometimes a little spark from the ignition barrel area when turning over! Did you run the extra wire for the coil or whatever it was? Cheers.

Andy
24-08-08, 09:25 PM
No i didnt bother im trying the 32/34 weber 1st to see if it was fuelling that caused it.

General Baxter
24-08-08, 09:29 PM
you still running the 1L rad, wheres that water pipe going? lol

have you given it a service yet?

Leeboo
24-08-08, 09:38 PM
Ah right I see Andy. Cheers anyway dude.

Baxter - Lmao yeah, the astra radiator was too tall, so I had to make some custom pipes for the 1.0 radiator lol hoover pipe ftw. The water pipe outlet locations etc are slightly different on the 1.0 radiator as oppsosed to OHC.

I haven't been able to get the parts you suggested (dizz cap, leads etc), its just had new plugs, oil and filter. I am going to get that stuff but haven't got to halfords yet.

Still reckon theres something else wrong. Its really odd. It always dies after about 2 miles and then keeps dying out the whole way back to the house. BTW she was going fine for a few days after I fitted the 1300.

Welsh Dan
24-08-08, 11:11 PM
How hot does it get?

Leeboo
25-08-08, 01:30 AM
The temp gauge ain't working Dan lol ..... :wtf:

It doesn't get abnormally hot if thats what you mean, no burst of heat when opening the bonnet. I know the symtoms might point to this but I don't think thats the problem.

I'm just going to have to get it looked at by someone whos been in the trade for ages (someone with experience of old carb engines).

Cheers.

C14se
25-08-08, 04:45 AM
do not buy parts from halfords for your car mate all the bits i got from halfords all **** up

Welsh Dan
25-08-08, 08:58 AM
When it starts playing up, is the coolant system pressurised?

Leeboo
25-08-08, 09:33 AM
Yeah Dan just a little bit, I figured this was normal when the car was warm?

Dod
25-08-08, 10:54 AM
Lee? Do me a favour and change the module under the coil. The Plate like Alu piece with the plastic plug on it. Its almost certainly that.

When the car starts chugging and dies, will it restart right away?

Leeboo
25-08-08, 02:46 PM
Ok Dod I'll go have a look now.

It dies and then its quite hard to start again. Dies after about 2 miles. Usually have to turn over for a good while, pumping the throttle. It then chugs and dies all the way back to the house.

Mike
25-08-08, 02:57 PM
lol at this thread, its the auto choke :thumb: plain & simple.

Leeboo
25-08-08, 02:59 PM
Plain and simple to you might not be plain and simple to me, because I'm just simple lmao.

Mike you have to explain. I would just go out and stare at stuff wondering whats wrong.

Andy
25-08-08, 03:01 PM
Sadly staring at stuff doesnt fix it lee lol believe me ive gave it my all lol

Mike
25-08-08, 03:03 PM
On the side of the carb, there are two little water pipe's next to each going into the same thing, what they connect to is a little circular/domed shaped thing. The internals of this are common to break, thus the autochoke will play immense trouble with your car ;)

See here> clicky (http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.gowerlee.dircon.co.uk/2E3spareslist.GIF&imgrefurl=http://www.gowerlee.dircon.co.uk/2E3type.html&h=785&w=633&sz=49&hl=en&start=7&usg=__3byxnWFVRbESGxnlS_SX03P1O-w=&tbnid=XqGXYREe3P0FIM:&tbnh=143&tbnw=115&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dpierburg%2B2e3%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den%26 sa%3DG) item number 28.

Mike
25-08-08, 03:05 PM
http://elprot.pl/jetta/warsztat/2E3.jpg

In the above pic, the big domed shaped thing to the right with the two tubed coming from it, thats the choke assembly on a 2E3.

Leeboo
25-08-08, 03:11 PM
Thanks Mike. Just went out and located on my Nova there. Just some retaining screws. Can it be inspected? Or do I just get a new part? Can they be got from motorfactors?

Andy
25-08-08, 03:13 PM
Take it off completely,try that.No you cant get them anymore

Leeboo
25-08-08, 03:20 PM
Take it off completely? What do I do with the water pipes? bung them? I'm just not sure what to expect.

Cheers dudes very helpful.

General Baxter
25-08-08, 03:27 PM
do not buy parts from halfords for your car mate all the bits i got from halfords all **** up

lol its the same part from a motor factors, but cost more from there lol

so some ngk plug from halfords are ****e compared to ngk plugs from motor factors?

Leeboo
25-08-08, 04:13 PM
Yo, just been out and taken off the dome shaped thing!! Took her out for a spin and she is doing the exact same thing, dying after the same distance!

The little springy element inside the dome shaped thing controls the choke right? Well the little lever that operates the choke, doesn't move very far either way. The spring loaded mechanisms look very lazy!

Shouldn't the flap in the carb open and close when the choke is manually operated??

Arrgghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Andy
25-08-08, 05:34 PM
The flap should be closed when the choke is on and open when its at normal running temperature.How it works is fairly simple-When the water in the auto choke is cold the flap is closed,then when your car is at normal running temperature the spring moves the flap open.Mike was thinking your choke was jammed shut which could cause the symptoms described.Have you gave it a blast with carb cleaner yet? If not,do it.It eliminates 1more possiblity.Also try whay dod said,that will eliminate another.That way it gives us all more to work on.

Jamie D
25-08-08, 05:43 PM
i had the same kind of problem with my nova luxe, turned out to be the coil plug not connected to the coil properly. check all your wireing around the coil is fixed in properly, just one more elimination.

Leeboo
25-08-08, 06:01 PM
Andy - Yeah well its permanently open, like it should be at normal running temp. The spring mechansims don't allow it to close.

It just dies at the EXACT same place each time. I go and turn at the end of a road and it dies on the way back.

I haven't tried what Dod suggested yet, I'm not sure what to look at, I can only see plastic around the coil.

Andy is there any alternative to carb cleaner???? I've not got any at the house.

Going to take it over the road to my friends dad who is into cars, see what he says too.

Andy
25-08-08, 06:22 PM
Easy start spray? but be careful its very feckin flammable!! It may sound like a silly question but is the feed and return on the right bits of the carb? Also did you ever have a go in the astra before it came out?

meritlover
25-08-08, 06:28 PM
is the ignition timing correct? it still sounds like a fuel problem (blocked jet etc...)

Leeboo
25-08-08, 06:28 PM
Yeah I must have the feed and return lines on in the right places Andy because she ran flawlessly until this problem has appeared. I had her out for relatively long journies.

Nope I didn't get a run in the Astra before it came out. It was a mate's dads, then it lay up for a few years. What sort of things are you thinking about? You thinking this may have been a problem whilst the engine was in the Astra?

I'm going a few mile over the road to get a mates dad to have a look, so I'll be on later. Cheers.

Andy
25-08-08, 06:31 PM
My money is still on a fukked carb,they are notoriously pants.

Leeboo
25-08-08, 08:20 PM
I had thought that at first to Andy!

But we have came to the conclusion that its an electrical problem. Its weird how she runs excellent up until a certain point. So something is heating up and losing the rag! Our money is on the coil at the minute so I'm going to buy a new one, as mine has seen better days anyway.

Also, when she died, we poured some petrol down the carb to see if she would light up again straight away, but she didn't. Just made the same whirr as she does when you press the throttle when she dies out on the road.

Friend gave me a spare distributor to try. Going to get a new coil anyway as mine is rusty etc.

Made it the 3 miles back home anyways lol .

Thanks again, I will report back.

Andy
25-08-08, 08:35 PM
Try the dizzy cap.Then while the dizzy cap is off have a look at the rotor wheel,this is the white coloured wheel inside the dizzy cap.If these are ok and the problem still persists then it has to be the coil.Its obviously not fuel if you spiked it and it still didnt work

Leeboo
25-08-08, 08:38 PM
Yeah going to try that Andy. Going to order a coil tomorrow anyway as the old one is rust and a new one will do no harm. Will try the spare dizzy tomorrow after work.

Cheers you've been a good help, I will report back.

Leeboo
27-08-08, 07:14 PM
Well I've had enough with it!!!

Fitted a spare distributor and a brand new coil. The fu cker is still doing the exact same thing.

Andy
27-08-08, 09:39 PM
What about the rotor have you checked that?

Spudly
27-08-08, 09:51 PM
Try another carb on it i had similar problems on my old nova aaaages ago it was off the road for a while and my mates had problems too so we swapped carbs, his was still poo wheras mine was spot on, you can never tell with the 2e3 as they never all quite do the same thing but try another carb please and see how you go!

Leeboo
28-08-08, 09:53 PM
Ok dudes I haven't burnt it just yet. Took her to a mates house this evening.

We took her out for a spin, and as usual she died. As usual, she didn't start up again straight away, so we checked if she was sparking. She was. This points back to a fuel problem. Also she wasn't firing fuel into the carb after she died out.

So we got her back to his house. We then changed the carb and pump for stuff off a 1600 engine (same stuff). She ran slightly better, but still died as normal. Now we are thinking that the cam lobe that drives the pump is worn, as its not pumping fuel fast enough, and so has to pick up fuel again after stopping.

Urgently trying to find an electric pump to rig up, to see if our theory is right.

What d'yall think?

donaldo89
30-09-08, 02:18 PM
this was happening with mine 1.4 8v the lever just was staying open even tryed holding down seemed ok then it wouldnt idle and cut as yours does so bought new fuel pump new lines still the same have just found out that it is the wiring to the choke so am now fitting a new choke cable today mayb e same with yours ?

Leeboo
01-10-08, 12:44 PM
Hi mate, my problem ended up being the fuel tank. The pick up pipe in it had a hole and so the car was sucking up air! After buying all of the new parts, I got a replacement tank for free!

I still have no choke on my Nova I just keep revs on it when its cold as the auto choke isn't working. Going to rig up manual choke.