PDA

View Full Version : Removing back box....

matt_vaughan
22-08-08, 12:00 PM
I'm sure this has been asked before, but lets be honest searching backbox and removing is going to take all day to find anything even relevant.

I'm trying to get the backbox off my Mk2 and I've opened up the loosening "split" in the pipe, however it's not doing enough.

Anyone have any tips on anything I could do to get the bugger off.

Cheers

brainsnova
22-08-08, 12:07 PM
heat it up and or use two hammers. hold one close at the opposite end and hit it with the other this should break the rusty seal :thumb:

Dod
22-08-08, 01:46 PM
Do you want to keep the exhaust?

Leeboo
22-08-08, 02:00 PM
This can be a seriously hateful task if the back box is stuck on.

Sometimes, the only method is the Dod method.

Dod
22-08-08, 02:01 PM
No, what I do is grind the back box where its already slit to join onto the midsection, prize it open with a large flat screw driver and take apart.

hc coupe
22-08-08, 02:04 PM
Yep, I have this joy tomorrow so I hope mine goes swimmingly. Good luck

Leeboo
22-08-08, 02:12 PM
No, what I do is grind the back box where its already slit to join onto the midsection, prize it open with a large flat screw driver and take apart.

Yeah, works well. Only if you haven't run out of cutting discs though :wtf: lol Hacksaw

Dod
22-08-08, 02:14 PM
Hacksaw

Yeah, good luck with that. lol

hendrix
22-08-08, 02:35 PM
such a pain in the ass with a hacksaw. Lump hammer to the rear of it is always good. Its fairly easy if its on a 2 or 4 poster but when its just on axle stands its gash

Sturge
22-08-08, 02:35 PM
Decent penetrating oil and a big hammer ftw

matt_vaughan
22-08-08, 02:39 PM
Tried large hammers, penetrating fluid, everything I could think of without taking a grinder to it.

Looks like I'm going to have to boot up the compressor and take an right angle grinder to it.

Not keeping it anyway so not bothered.

L14MNP
22-08-08, 02:43 PM
Mine was like that, the original on my mk2 SR. Hammers and patience FTW. Took about 2 hours I think lol Never had a grinder handy but Dods method sounds the best way lol

Dod
22-08-08, 02:43 PM
Right, then follow my directions and you wont go far wrong. Just dont cut into the midsection.

What back box you fitting anywya?

matt_vaughan
22-08-08, 02:47 PM
A nice stainless jobbie I got from Colin Smith this week.

3 inch tailpipe.

Dod
22-08-08, 02:48 PM
RIGHT!!! Cut the box off the back box leaving the pipe from the back box over the midsection. You'll find your Magnex will fit a lot more snug over it. And if it doesnt then cut it off!! I've done this before on my old XR3 and it worked a treat. Remember to get some exhaust sealent as well.

matt_vaughan
22-08-08, 02:50 PM
Cheers dod I'll try that.

There's no markings on the back box that i've noticed, but does look a lot like a magnex.

Dod
22-08-08, 02:54 PM
As long as it does what its ment to mate, happy days. :thumb:

matt_vaughan
23-08-08, 11:19 AM
Kind of did Dod's idea. Basically I lengthened the opening splits with a grinder and it flew straight off. Wish I'd tried that before the mallets and hammers the past 3 nights lol

Anyways it's off now and the other one is on, sounds great.

Thanks for the help Dod