PDA

View Full Version : Not long now

Philsutton
22-08-08, 10:27 AM
Well in a few weeks they will be running the Large Hadron Collider at CERN for the first time properly, its been a long time coming. Hopefully it all goes to plan and some interesting result occur.

Surprised the Media isnt all over it as they love the opportunities to tell we are all going to die and the apocalpse is here.

http://press.web.cern.ch/press/PressReleases/Releases2008/PR06.08E.html

Stoo
22-08-08, 10:42 AM
So, forgive me for being ignorant here Phil, but what exactly is that all about then

in laymans please! Im just an engineer!!!

hendrix
22-08-08, 10:42 AM
Been waiting with baited breath for this for ages Phil. LHC is almost at temperature now :). Its amazing how long it takes to get it down to those levels but I suppose you don't want to really break it now haha. 3 Kelvin is bloomin cold. Almost as cold as 2.7K in space due to the CMBR.
5TeV beams too, its crazy!
Couple of my lecturers from Uni worked at CERN for half the year every year. Lucky mofos.
Lmao at the idiots who think it will eliminate all life on earth by creating a black hole

Stoo
22-08-08, 10:46 AM
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Your making my brain hurt!

Sturge
22-08-08, 10:47 AM
no warm beers there then lol

Sturge
22-08-08, 10:48 AM
So, forgive me for being ignorant here Phil, but what exactly is that all about then

in laymans please! Im just an engineer!!!

from what I can gather they're basically recreating deep space conditions to carry out tests on partical collision at high energy levels (the big bang theory)

hendrix
22-08-08, 10:54 AM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/graphics/2008/08/21/scilhc121.jpg

First proton beam at interaction point 3.

One of the main experiments stoo is to look for evidence of the Higgs boson which is a hypothetical particle predicted to exist by the Standard Model in particle physics. This would help make clear how elementary particles that are massless create matter that has mass.

Basically smashing particles together etc etc lol in a big long circular tube

L14MNP
22-08-08, 10:57 AM
Wow. Very cool stuff

hendrix
22-08-08, 11:08 AM
my bad, I didn't realise that it was going as low as 1.9K. Which is bloody cold lmao. I belive they are going that low to gain extra magnetic field strength out of the dipole magnets used to keep the beams on course.
If anyone wants to take a look at some cool pics, google ATLAS detector.

Philsutton
22-08-08, 11:28 AM
The magnets are made from super conductors so when they hit their transition temperature they lose all resistance, which maes them good magnets.

Basically Sturge explained it nice and simply. When the idea first came around for doing it people got all upset about the fact that there is a possibility that miniture black holes might be produced. An due to the fact that most people have an image of black holes which munch everthing an anything it means we will die. Truth is they will decay straight away and are so small they wont really do anything that cause some interesting effects in the chamber.

There is also the chance of vacuum bubbles and stranglets being produced the latter being a one step before a balck hole.

Even if the Higgs Boson isnt found or observed, there will still be news things discovered and happen. Either that or all the theory is really wrong an we do destroy ourselves lol

hendrix
22-08-08, 11:37 AM
mmm turning the earth into strange matter sounds fun lmao
I agree thought Phil there will be some interesting things found, perhaps helping to explain dark matter?
but destroying ourselves lol I can't bear the thought of all them doubters going..we told you so haha

Sturge
22-08-08, 01:35 PM
I think even if they are right, that'll be highly unlikely lol

Dod
22-08-08, 01:58 PM
Hang on, God created the Earth.

Philsutton
22-08-08, 02:21 PM
lies

hendrix
22-08-08, 02:26 PM
Science versus Religion. uh ohh!!

Dod
22-08-08, 02:30 PM
Hang on, God did create the Earth, havent any of you seen Family Guy?

http://www.jibjab.com/view/99602

Philsutton
22-08-08, 02:33 PM
Yes I have, but ive also seen thundercats and I dont expect to see Lion-O shopping at my local Tesco.

Dod
22-08-08, 02:34 PM
Thats because Thundercats dont shop in Tescos. Asda is much cheaper.

Philsutton
22-08-08, 02:35 PM
Fail, Tesco is cheaper

Sturge
22-08-08, 02:38 PM
Asda, lowest price supermarket about 5 years on the trot lol

check the independent price checkers

Philsutton
22-08-08, 02:40 PM
its all about the price of cooking oil, therefore I win lol

Dod
22-08-08, 02:41 PM
Fail, Tesco is cheaper

Asda, lowest price supermarket about 5 years on the trot lol

check the independent price checkers

Thundercats dont use cooking oil.

FAIL lol

Ben
22-08-08, 04:22 PM
A sensible conversation muppetised by dod!

Never would of guessed it!

L14MNP
22-08-08, 04:29 PM
Lion-O is too busy getting stoned to go shopping lol

Isn't COSCO still the cheapest anyway?

Jack
23-08-08, 03:14 PM
A sensible conversation muppetised by dod!

Never would of guessed it!
Did you expect anything else?

So if I wake up on the 10th September and the whole universe has imploded, i'll know why.

Dod
23-08-08, 04:15 PM
Yes RJ, its because you didnt make Dod Happy.

Oh and Ben, I know you like me. ;)

Philsutton
23-08-08, 06:44 PM
well one possibilty is that a instead of us being destroyed we create a new universe which will exist outside our own, yet we will have no knowledge of it happening and we will carry on as we are. Whats to say that isnt how "our" big bang happened in tghe first place?

Either way im going to be flying over Europe on the 10th lol, rather annoyed as they have set up a web cam so you can watch the experiment as they start it up ect..

Ben
24-08-08, 11:27 AM
Oh and Ben, I know you like me. ;)

umm No lol

Dod
24-08-08, 11:35 AM
Ah no, my poor hearts breaking here. Whatever shall I do?

Philsutton
24-08-08, 03:46 PM
Ah no, my poor hearts breaking here. Whatever shall I do?

maybe change this so its not quite so ironic?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v286/philsutton/untitled.jpg

Ben
24-08-08, 06:01 PM
lmfao

Dod
24-08-08, 09:05 PM
Hang on, whats with all the hostility? Is it because you're trying to cover up the fact that you've gotten confused with 2 threads?

Stuart
24-08-08, 09:19 PM
Phil, can you use it to make power?

oops I mean, convert one flavour of energy into usefull stuff like electricity etc