PDA

View Full Version : head gasket 1.2 mk2

ade
11-10-02, 10:31 PM
Just had my car tuned after I had prob with acceleration. Mechanic m8 said that its smoking a little and that it pinks a fair bitmainly due to mileage (140k). Smoke is prob caused by worn valve stem oil seals and with head off can decoke it removing pinking problem.

My question is how simple is this to do yerself?

Do you need to get engine out of the car?

Cars a 1.2 mk2 with a carb (not spi). Friend of mine reckons its very easy - only to watch for head warping.

The head gasket doesnt need changing. I'd like to give it a shot (know a little about engines and have a well thumbed copy of haynes)

Any pointers appreciated!

Ade
:wink:

(am considering upgrading to 1.4 or 1.6 but not just yet)

Dicko
12-10-02, 12:18 AM
you would be looking at ?80+, and you would defo need a valve compressor.
pretty easy once u get into it, dont worry about warping head aslong as you folow instructions. might be worth relapping valves if u do this.

snapper
12-10-02, 12:29 AM
all you need to worry about really is making sure the engine is completely cold when you remove the cylinder head. it might be a good idea to get it skimmed, to remove any roughness or warping.

never done it myself, but that's the advice i've been given :)

ade
12-10-02, 06:44 PM
Dicko - what do you mean by relapping valves?

Is this valve stems? Dont you just change the lot?

How many are there?

Ade

Dicko
12-10-02, 07:01 PM
seals are easy once valves r out, squidge them 1 way with long nose pliers, then squidge from the opposite side (turn pliers 90 degrees) this will loosen it off enough to pull out.
once it is out fit a new 1 by gently laying it on top, push it down with a 10mm socket on the end of an extension bar, then gently tap with a hammer once or twice.

relapping it making sure the valve has a good seal onto the head.
u need some grinding paste and a plunger (about ?3 for both)

you shud do this before fitting new stem seals. just follow instructions from haynes
relapping helps keep compression up and engine will run at its better than if not sealed round the valves properly