PDA

View Full Version : changing brake servo/master cylinder...

ade
21-08-08, 01:03 PM
My plan is to upgrade my brakes at the anniversary meet this weekend howevef need to check the following before I start dragging bits down.

Is it possible just to swap over the black round bit (master cylinder?) without replcing the servo (the bit the brake lines go into) from the standard to the GSi model ot do you need ot replace both parts?

I've got a GSi servo (black round bit) and for ease of changing dont wanna have to remove the other patrt if I can help it...

Calipers etc will be upgrades as normal...

Welsh Dan
21-08-08, 01:09 PM
The black round bit is the servo ade, you should be able to just change that on its own. I took a servo off a mk2 astra without breaking or kinking the break lines once so it should be the same on a nova. Truth be told though you may aswell stick with the standard one, I'm using 256mm brakes with a 'poverty' servo and they're fine.

Ernie
21-08-08, 01:21 PM
On the early mrk 1 nova's the m/c has a bit differand fitment and you would need to change both.
As your sr is of the later spec servo it is probly the same unit as the gsi item as in a flat black type servo apose to a a gold is domed item.
With out pics i cant really explain.

Andy
21-08-08, 01:54 PM
I had to change both the servo and master cylinder on my old brown b reg 1l
Both were replaced with Gte items

Sturge
21-08-08, 02:22 PM
I ran my SR on the standard servo with 16v calipers no probs ade, iirc it's just the volume of the mc reservoir as the pads get lower thats the problem

General Baxter
21-08-08, 02:24 PM
change the lanes aswell, as there bound to spin and break off lol

Will F
21-08-08, 02:27 PM
I wouldnt bother tbh!

You may round off the brake pipe retainers etc... not for the sake of very little gain - esp so close to the drive to Billing!

Sturge
21-08-08, 02:28 PM
He's doing it at Billing lol

Andy
21-08-08, 02:28 PM
I think hes on about doing it AT billing isnt he?!

craig green
21-08-08, 02:47 PM
Not worth it Ade. Mucho's hassle for next to no gain. If you muller the brake fittings etc, you may end up going home on a flat bed. (cheaper than driving home I guess)

Lee H
21-08-08, 03:09 PM
You can change the servo without disturbing the brake lines, i've done it several times. Just slide the master cylinder off the servo and lift the servo out.

AlexW
21-08-08, 03:11 PM
I wouldnt want to do this elseware than home. I understand the reason for the servo upgrade, I only done it for the slight pedal feel, although, it was more work than i needed to do!

ade
21-08-08, 03:24 PM
makes sense - the servo looks like a standard one (no gold dome bit) - just a round cylinder. TBH I'd heard that sticking bigger calipers off a GSi/GTE were better - my brakes are shot to feck and I'd like to upgrade them (may get better deal on insurance as a result) - however I'm not doing it for the sake of knackering my lines - although I do have a spare set - just in case...

Sturge
21-08-08, 04:03 PM
Just doing the calipers is generally a piece of pi$$ boss so shouldn't be a prob. Just make sure the bleed nipples are free and if you have spare union bolts (that go into the caliper) bring them, if not I'll bring a couple.

Adam
21-08-08, 04:11 PM
Keep with your std servo and mc.
No need change it

ade
21-08-08, 07:29 PM
cool - thankfully my nipples are nice and slack!

lol