PDA

View Full Version : rear discs

Gabbo
20-08-08, 09:13 PM
ive read a few posts on uprating your rear drums to discs but they havent really told me what i want to hear so just wondered if some one could tell me who's actually done it or has helped to do it.

i have 2ltr front discs on so there bigger and have been given the convertion kit plus new discs and pads for the rear so i thought as its all free it would be rude not to convert it to discs.

now i have read a few times that just doing a straight swap this will cause the back to grab up under harsh breaking what have you guys done to stop this?
cheers :)

Stoo
20-08-08, 09:19 PM
Have u REALLY tried a search??

Now come on be honest

RSTChris
20-08-08, 09:19 PM
Bias valve inline the brake lines

Which handbrake cable is used?

LEWI007
20-08-08, 09:25 PM
Just take your rear discs, and get some super super glue and glue them over the top of the drums and drill holes in so your wheels go back on ,That's how we do it at PNG :thumb:

_JH_
20-08-08, 09:27 PM
The general opinion on here is not to bother, but it depends on your intentions for the car.

In a competition car, rules permitting, you'll probably require adjustable brake bias anyway, so providing you fit the right restrictors to the master cylinder, you should be fine.

As to what the 'right' restrictor is, I can't remember, but someone is bound to post what it is.

_JH_
20-08-08, 09:28 PM
Or, as Stoo points out, there is a search function lol

EDIT: I've just searched for rear disc in mechanical and found the answer among the first page of results. I'm not having a go here, but just about everything you could need to know about rear disc conversions has been discussed before.

Gabbo
20-08-08, 09:42 PM
is it the search tab at the top? and what do i type in, ive posted on here before but not really looked for out like this.

so break bias for both rear break lines or 1 that does both rears?? its just a road car so not wanting to mount any thing inside the car.

not sure aint really weighed the cables up yet but they are inside the disc if thats what u ment??

_JH_
20-08-08, 09:45 PM
Yes mate, click search, then advanced search.

Select titles only, select the mechanical forum, and type 'rear disc' into the search box. Hover over the thread titles until you find what you need popping up.

There are a few handbrake cable options, add 'cable' to the search box with the same criteria and you'll find a method that suits you :thumb:

Gabbo
20-08-08, 09:47 PM
found it now lads sorry to bother you's :)

_JH_
20-08-08, 09:50 PM
get some pics up once you start ;)

craig green
20-08-08, 11:18 PM
My WIP has all the info dotted about if you have the patience, incl cable part nos.

I'd say its not worth it but I happily admit I did it for looks & personal want.

_JH_
20-08-08, 11:21 PM
I happily admit I did it for looks

:gay:

lol

Gabbo
20-08-08, 11:39 PM
cheers lads, i have a seperate axel as mine doesnt have the ARB in it so i got 1 off a diesel so ill build it all up off the axel and post you's the pics.
thanx again guys :)

craig green
20-08-08, 11:45 PM
:gay:

lol

That & fact most performance cars have rear discs, my handbrake is batter than a drum one & its easier to maintain.

_JH_
21-08-08, 08:45 PM
Don't bite, you're preaching to the converted mate ;)

Although I'll admit in my case there's no handbrake lol

Sturge
21-08-08, 08:59 PM
Hydraulic handbrake and rear discs are the way forward!

And they're soooooooo prrriiiiiiiiiiitty lol