PDA

View Full Version : fitting, 1.4SRi engine to a GTE.

nova_geezer
11-10-02, 12:31 PM
I have recently written of my Nova mk2 1.4 SRi which was not my fault, but my engine and gearbox is sound. I have got hold of a GTE mk1, which is sound but the gearbox is nackered. For insurance purposes i am going to swap the engines. Is this going to be a straight swap cos if the mechanic thinks it is going to be too hard he wont do it.

I have noticed that the fuel injection is a bit different to my SRi engine.
If my engine is not compatible with the GTE nova then would my gearbox fit it. Other wise what nova gearbox would fit the GTe, eg, F16 etc.

But if i put the gearbox in then i would have to sell the GTe cos i cant insure it so im in a bit of a no win situation.

I jus want to know what extra work would be needed to put my 1.4 SRi into the GTe, like lume etc. If it is not a straight swap then the mechanic i know wont do it.
I know most but be thinkin what an idiot cos anyone else would be putting in a 2.0 in to car but i am putting in a smaller engine, so it should be a lot easier right. I am only 17 so i think the 2.0 litre is out of the question

mikeoxford
11-10-02, 04:55 PM
hi m8

is definately possible to do

the 1.6 uses a difrent gearbox tho so you can just swap that. bell housings are different shape size

so basically u wud need to swap the whole lot.

erm

yes its possible, i dont know the ins and outs. BUT

the car will still be badged a GTE and as far as insurance will be concerned you have replaced the engine. it will come down slightly but not as much as you would expect because to the thief and the public, its a GTE still. only you and they know its a 1.4

even when i enquired about rebuilding a nova into a new shell, because the shell was registered a GSi the insurance told me even with a respray and all the "performance advertising" (or sommat like that) were removed, it wouldnt come down as much.

mowgli
11-10-02, 08:16 PM
the Mechanical bits will be easy, but the loom may take a bit of head scratching. getting the speedo to read correctly could be a pain. What diff ratio does a 1.4sri have???? I've not done much with mk2 novas

Keep the faith

Mowgli

Dicko
12-10-02, 12:21 AM
the mechanical bit is easy, but the wiring on the sri is an absolute b1tch!!!!!!

Aragorn
13-10-02, 01:22 AM
not 100% on this one

but all small block vaux's use the same bottom end with slight differences to the flywheel and bell housing

the 1.6 is just bored and stroked out more than the 1.4

so, u should be able to bolt the 1.6 head and entire injection system onto the 1.4 SRi bottom end and use the original sri tranny

the heads are all interchangable so all u need to find is if the sensors on the bottom end of the GTE are the same as the sensors on the bottom end of the SRi - ie crank speed sensor, not sure if there are any others

then all u'd do is strip out the 1.6, swap the head (incl inlet and exhaust) over onto the 1.4 then drop the 1.4 and tranny in place

so your not changin any of the annoying / difficult parts ie fuel system ecu etc

cornish
13-10-02, 07:08 PM
Might be worth reading this before you go ahead mate :roll:

http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=44101

Dicko
13-10-02, 10:12 PM
yout cant just go swopping the heads over, the compresion ratios will b up the swanny

Aragorn
13-10-02, 10:21 PM
i thaught the C14SE and C16SE used the same head?

the 16SE is the GTE engine so there shouldnt be an problem?!?!

one other option - if the ports match then u could use the inlet manifold off the gte on the 1.4 head

just trying to make it easier cos the SRI has the engine loom integrated into the car loom so if he could get round the issue of compression or ports then he could simply use the entire GTE system as it is

benji
15-10-02, 02:33 AM
why dont u use the money that your willing to spend changing the engine, add that to what you will get flogging/breaking your sri, and use it to insure the gte??

sparky
15-10-02, 09:11 PM
Even if you put a 1.0 litre engine in it, it's still a GTE and the insurance company don't care how fast it is, just how nickable it is, the insurance won't drop at all. A GTE isen't exactley a fast car anyway so I wouldn't bother swapping the engine, coz it won't change the insurance.

ollster
15-10-02, 11:45 PM
as far as i know you can swap the gearbox's straight over as they both use the f13cr box, i knwo the the sri and gsi share the same box (and just about every thing else for that matter hence the sri being called the baby GSI), so i should think the the gte would be the same as it uses the same block as far as i know.