PDA

View Full Version : 1.6turbo managment

*Dave*
19-08-08, 07:15 PM
thinking of turbo-ing my gsi but not sure about engine managment or oil feeds.

and how much does it cost on avarage to do the conversion.

cheers

mowgli
19-08-08, 09:32 PM
a lot more than fitting an xe, unfortunately

wilson_sri
19-08-08, 09:35 PM
Have a look at Mikes WIP thread in club chat. A lot of good information in there on how to build a 1.6t.

My 1.6t runs standard management fine. Although i feel theres a lot more power to be found through aftermarket. The oil feed runs to a t piece on the oil pump.

Mike
20-08-08, 05:14 PM
Have a look at Mikes WIP thread in club chat. A lot of good information in there on how to build a 1.6t.

My 1.6t runs standard management fine. Although i feel theres a lot more power to be found through aftermarket. The oil feed runs to a t piece on the oil pump.

Aye, theres loads of thoery techy chat in my WiP and very soon they'll be a lot of pictured actual techy work.

a lot more than fitting an xe, unfortunately

Ah, now this is a grey area TBH, as you can spend £500+ supplying & fitting a XE. However, with the right parts from the right place you can turbo a 1600 for the same money.

General Baxter
20-08-08, 05:17 PM
with the right parts from the right place you can turbo a 1600 for the same money.

the problem is for £500 an xe will be reliable and safe lol
£500 to turbo a 1.6 got to be the best pikey way evar :thumb:
if it works and does 1000miles before it blows up ill eat some cow poo :thumb:

Mike
20-08-08, 05:25 PM

Your going to be eating some poo poo Nicolas :D

mowgli
20-08-08, 05:29 PM
the courtney method is so baxter....
just put a switch in so when you hit the loud pedal, tons of fuel gets chucked in............

ps. General, is the link to the 16v turbo film still live???

Adam
20-08-08, 05:34 PM
Agreed.
XE is 150hp/150 torque all day long.
Whereas on a cheap 1.6 turbo conversion, personally every time i nailed it id always have the thought in the back of mind of expecting a melted piston TBH lol

And aye the courtney switch is just trick the ecu into chucking a load of fuel in, and hope for the best,Lol

Mike
20-08-08, 06:42 PM
^ a Civic Turbo is exactly the same as the way Courtenay build there small block turbos.

A good Civic Turbo conversion will make 300bhp all day long in a 1500 or 1600 engine on standard pistons. They'll make a useable 250 on OE management aswell.

General Baxter
20-08-08, 06:44 PM
ps. General, is the link to the 16v turbo film still live???

indeed, but not really pikey seeing as i have forged low comp pistons, MS, peend rods, ect:

just never fitted them lol

Adam
20-08-08, 06:46 PM
^ a Civic Turbo is exactly the same as the way Courtenay build there small block turbos.

A good Civic Turbo conversion will make 300bhp all day long in a 1500 or 1600 engine on standard pistons. They'll make a useable 250 on OE management aswell.
Two entirely different engines though.......
And they may well make 300bhp, but at revs that the civic engines love ;)

Mike
20-08-08, 06:57 PM
Two entirely different engines though.......
And they may well make 300bhp, but at revs that the civic engines love ;)

Not really Ad, the smaller CC Civic engines make peak horsepower at about 5k RPM (EG models for example). There not as revvy as you think TBH.

EDIT: But what i saying is, thats stock internals, no low comp pistons or nothing, a classic case of N/A bodged upto forced induction with very sucessful results! Just check out the Civic Turbo vids on youtube!

General Baxter
20-08-08, 07:05 PM
i still hope ill eat some doody lol

Adam
20-08-08, 07:05 PM
Indeed, but turbo'ing civics is tried and tested, just a quick search on ebay brings up hundreds/thousands of parts for them.
Whereas turbo'ing gm 8v's is rarely done at all.

Mike
20-08-08, 07:09 PM
Indeed, but turbo'ing civics is tried and tested, just a quick search on ebay brings up hundreds/thousands of parts for them.
Whereas turbo'ing gm 8v's is rarely done at all.

This is true yeah, you can buy off the shelf Civic charger manifolds really cheap, but you can also get one for an 8v for £55 delivered and little bit of drilling & some bolts lol lol

Zetec turbo's are 99% run using spacer plates, and they ARE incredibly sucessfull engines, so that removes the low comp issue. With regards to fuelling, things like SARD's & Rotrex FMU's have been designed for a reason, and there bloody good at what they do!

Once my build is complete (engine wise) then I'll think about proper management, but for now, an import FMU will do me fine.

Adam
20-08-08, 07:25 PM
If it works well enough without management, and your happy with it i wouldn't bother changing to standalone management.
The whole project has been done with budget in mind, which is one of the best parts of your build imo, and to buy management would probably cost as much as the engine build itself has cost?

Mike
20-08-08, 07:29 PM
Aye it would cost the same, around £200 so far excluding all the samco hoses lol lol

The engine is budget but not, if the right part comes up at the right time ill buy it TBH. Only thing is charge coolers are hard to find second hand really as is intercooler spray & nitrous :(

Basically, its going to run everything bar proper management as ATM its not needed unless it makes 200bhp, then it will have to have it TBH.

Refering back to Courtenay Sport, and there apparent bodge Turbos, its not a bodge at all, its effective marketing. If they sold them with management it would add at least £1k+ onto the conversion price, so thats like £4.5k++ for a 150bhp conversion!!

craig green
20-08-08, 11:12 PM
The Courtenay system isnt the bodge that Mowgli slated. The TPS is fooled into sending WOT signal to the ECU when a boost switch senses positive pressure. The transient fuelling is still dealt with by the AFM. Likewise the fuel pressure reg is also rising rate. Simple yet fairly effective.

Xe is a better engine in terms of rag it all day performance, but I managed to treat mine well & still drill it everynight. Its a nicer car to drive than an Xe. Far quieter, just as economical if not better, better in the bends etc. Just not as top end quick.