PDA

View Full Version : Paris

Cormac
19-08-08, 06:41 PM
Well its the gf's big 21st in october and thinking on surpising her with a trip away, paris would be the obvious choice for a romantic wknd away!!

Any of you guys ever been? been having a look at hotels, theres literely 100's, anyone got any recomendations for me??

cheers

mowgli
19-08-08, 06:45 PM
yes, barcelona. at least it won't smell of dog poo.......

seriously get on the budget airline websites & look up city breaks. watch out for which airport cos they can be a long way from the city.....
get a paris map. then nip to a good bookshop & get a travel guide. trusting the net will only get you in bother....

wisewood
19-08-08, 07:05 PM
Madrid FTW.

Paris is horrible. And full of french people, and british couples who think that Paris IS romance. If you want to be romantic, dont be a sheep and follow everyone else.

Do something a bit different.

ade
19-08-08, 07:12 PM
as above - Paris is overpriced and full of sweaty people. I went a few yrs ago - was on me own visiting mates and did the city in a day - saw the sites etc. It's pretty impressive if your into arty stuff and architecture (like me) but the "romance" side iw well over hyped.

Head for somewhere unique - Barcelona is decent but an obvious second choice.

For the price of most weekend breaks nowadays you could spend a week somewhere abroad B&B - just eat out every night. Somewhere like Italy (Rome or Florence) off season - cheap as chips to get a train to Piza - stunning architecture, full of history and the Italians really know how to look cool. Not as busy, still pretty warm till end September and you get the best of both worlds...

General Baxter
19-08-08, 07:15 PM
come to Birmingham, its well romantic,

we even have a canal lol

ade
19-08-08, 07:17 PM
apmsl!

romantic meal in the bull ring then a stretch limo round the spaghetti junction...

wisewood
19-08-08, 07:20 PM
Somewhere like Italy (Rome or Florence) off season

Rome, off season or not, is still full of italians, who are cocky and arrogant, although generally very well presented lol

and i hear everything, and everywhere, in Rome is pricey to eat, walk, stand, sit, etc etc.

General Baxter
19-08-08, 07:20 PM
see look romantic, giant boobies lol

http://www.airport-parking-shop.co.uk/images/birmingham.jpg

wisewood
19-08-08, 07:21 PM
Looks more like a metalic hippo nose to me.

mowgli
19-08-08, 07:23 PM
apmsl!

romantic meal in the bull ring then a stretch limo round the spaghetti junction...

You've obviously done the tour then!!!

Did you go on the brummies answer to the london eye?

they call it the 'EYE UP ORCHID'

mayhem
19-08-08, 11:15 PM
paris is overrated. not that it's not a nice city, but its not so great that i'd say.. yes, i'd like to go back there someday.

o, and dont go up the eiffel tower, only if its a nice sunny day... focking expensive, and guess what.. when i was there it was cloudy.. you dont see sh!t from up there lol

Cormac
19-08-08, 11:27 PM
as above - Paris is overpriced and full of sweaty people. I went a few yrs ago - was on me own visiting mates and did the city in a day - saw the sites etc. It's pretty impressive if your into arty stuff and architecture (like me) but the "romance" side iw well over hyped.

Head for somewhere unique - Barcelona is decent but an obvious second choice.

For the price of most weekend breaks nowadays you could spend a week somewhere abroad B&B - just eat out every night. Somewhere like Italy (Rome or Florence) off season - cheap as chips to get a train to Piza - stunning architecture, full of history and the Italians really know how to look cool. Not as busy, still pretty warm till end September and you get the best of both worlds...

Humm, think paris would get more of a woooww from her than barcelona or werever, ive been to rome before, very nice spot indeed, but also very pricey, Special offer wknd im looking to go, £49 each return... result!!!

Lee H
19-08-08, 11:41 PM
I thought Paris was a dump when I went, really expensive too, wouldn't bother again.

large_steve182
19-08-08, 11:56 PM
as "WW" said. paris is full of french people suprisingly and nobody likes them

http://static.flickr.com/26/53173463_f8b67cd136.jpg

Alex.
20-08-08, 09:57 AM
Girls love the thought of Paris. I'd love to go, but I'm an arty person. So I'd love the history of it all.

Lauren
20-08-08, 10:03 AM
Hmmm Paris doesn't really do it for me. You should take her somewhere a bit different and be original.

hendrix
20-08-08, 10:25 AM
I was gonna take the missus to Paris but haven't yet as I know tons of people who have been and recon its sh*te.
She went to Barcelona and got mugged, so thats out the question....
Amsterdam FTW :thumb:

Breeny
20-08-08, 10:35 AM
I don't like Paris either, especially the Metro...

Prague is much nicer and more romantic :)

wisewood
20-08-08, 10:37 AM
Humm, think paris would get more of a woooww from her than barcelona or werever, ive been to rome before, very nice spot indeed, but also very pricey, Special offer wknd im looking to go, £49 each return... result!!!

barcelona is stunning

hendrix
20-08-08, 10:39 AM
but full of thieves!
Mind you most big cities are

Lauren
20-08-08, 10:39 AM
but full of thieves!
Mind you most big cities are

So is Britain lol

mowgli
20-08-08, 10:41 AM
Girls love the thought of Paris. I'd love to go, but I'm an arty person. So I'd love the history of it all.

the Louvre is brilliant. but the mona lisa is about the size of a mouse mat!!! & has a scrum of japs round it!!! there are tons of nice other stuff in there though.. the montmartre bit (think the big white church on the film Amelie) is nice, but pigale, where the artists are, is tacky, & some git will try & pester you to have your portrait painted, the public buildings are incredible, the champs elysee is quite stunning, but there are loads of algerian beggars on the metro...

Alex.
20-08-08, 10:44 AM
Louvre

You just summed up my wanting to go in one word :D

mowgli
20-08-08, 10:49 AM
You just summed up my wanting to go in one word :D

catch a eurostar & do the day trip... maybe hold on for a seine river cruise...
would rj take you though???
don't bother with the notre dame, wells cathedral is way better, apart from that bonekickers nonsense!! (hot fuzz was much better)

hendrix
20-08-08, 11:01 AM
Alex, have you been to the mahoosive art gallery at Trafalgar square?
Its awesome

mowgli
20-08-08, 12:28 PM
Alex, have you been to the mahoosive art gallery at Trafalgar square?
Its awesome

that would be the national gallery

General Baxter
20-08-08, 12:45 PM
the Louvre is brilliant.

is that what you put in a bonnet lol

hendrix
20-08-08, 12:55 PM
that would be the national gallery
Thats the badger, couldn't remember the name hehe lol

lmao at baxter

Cormac
20-08-08, 01:33 PM
What a bunch of romantics you guys are.. NOT, lol

Is Paris really big? wouldnt be anywere as big as London would it?

mowgli
20-08-08, 03:31 PM
Is Paris really big? wouldnt be anywere as big as London would it?

yes, paris is huge, and everything is a good distance apart, so you must use the metro..

have you thought of taking her to new york?? there are quite a few short breaks advertised, some operators even fly from irish airports, they speeky da lingo & the pound is still high against the dollar. & if you've never been to new york, it is fantastic in the autumn, a stroll thru central park with the leaves changing colour is quite a sight..

my missus is 1/2 yank & we went there before we did the whole kids thing.

Alex.
20-08-08, 04:49 PM
would rj take you though???
No, he'd rather take me Germany. No thank you! He doesn't like the french. Tbh I'd rather go on my own to somewhere like that.

And Hendrix, I've visited the V&A in London and loved it. Not the national gallery though, and the Tate Modern. Well. What a load of bollukcs!lol

Lee
20-08-08, 05:34 PM
Ive been all over Europe and by far the most beautiful place is Norway. The only downer is how fapping cold it is, but the flip side is it is so unbelievably fresh out there, and the views are absolutely stunning.

mowgli
20-08-08, 05:37 PM
Alex, If I was young, & single & handsome, I would ask you to go with me...... Ah well, enough of that twaddle, I've got a family, not much hair & a bad back

Alex.
20-08-08, 05:54 PM
Alex, If I was young, & single & handsome, I would ask you to go with me...... Ah well, enough of that twaddle, I've got a family, not much hair & a bad back

I'll still go!! lol

retrimmer-oz
20-08-08, 06:05 PM
prague?i went last year and it was amazing!cheap drink and lots of fun!budpest vienna all round there is good mate!i did used to live in france so i would say paris for me really its a winner everyitme but bit common nowadays!

mowgli
20-08-08, 06:37 PM
I'll still go!! lol

I love you... When is RJ back?

Alex.
20-08-08, 07:09 PM
Tomorrow lol. He wouldn't mindlol