PDA

View Full Version : 1.2 to 1.6i conversion advice

bola
18-08-08, 11:25 PM
What parts will i need to convert my 1.2 carb to a 1.6i? Also how long should the conversion take bearing in mind its my first? thanks

RSTChris
18-08-08, 11:30 PM
3 days m8, i did mine in a day but it wasnt the 1st conversion

bola
19-08-08, 12:53 PM
mint, i may have it done before trax then :D
What do i need? Do i need new driveshafts or is it just better to have them? Also can i use my existing rad and fan? I know i will need the engine, box, tank, pump and wiring loom. Do i need the alternator etc or not?

When i get all the advice i need i will make a how-to guide so others can follow it, unless someone fancies making a rough one so i can? thanks

Stuart
19-08-08, 03:19 PM
your fitting a 1.6 SPI engine.... why? Just fit the mpi engine and ahve a far better start

mowgli
19-08-08, 06:41 PM
driveshafts are interchangeable. so is rad. need injection fuel tank but you can bodge the 1.2 tank, though cornering with a low tank is not good......
the basic wiring is easy peasy. use the search its all on here

RSTChris
19-08-08, 07:11 PM
Buy the GSI lump with all ancilleries, you'll need some GSI shafts also deepending on which box is fitted

Tank, pump

Your rad and fan will be fine (got some GSI stuff for sale see post)

mowgli
19-08-08, 07:16 PM
you'll need some GSI shafts

nope, the std 1.2 ones will fit on an f13 box & handle the power fine. you only need to swap them for a 2.0 conversion.

Andy
19-08-08, 07:21 PM
Dont make the same mistake as i did.Ring your insurance company 1st before you even strike a bat! Tell them you are planning to put a 1600 in your car.Id be very surprised at your age if they would insure you,and if they did whethere you would be willing to pay that much.Put it this way,going from a 1l to a 1300 engine swap voided my insurance and a new quote off a seperate company was £800 dearer than my 1l policy!!!

mowgli
19-08-08, 07:30 PM
Dont make the same mistake as i did.Ring your insurance company 1st before you even strike a bat! Tell them you are planning to put a 1600 in your car.Id be very surprised at your age if they would insure you,and if they did whethere you would be willing to pay that much.Put it this way,going from a 1l to a 1300 engine swap voided my insurance and a new quote off a seperate company was £800 dearer than my 1l policy!!!

yes, but your old insurers also sell undergarments for aunties.......

Andy
19-08-08, 09:12 PM
Thats not the point lol they should insure me,nowhere in my policy documents does it say about not being able to modify/engine swap.Sorry to hijack but just giving my advice

mowgli
19-08-08, 09:19 PM
Thats not the point lol they should insure me,nowhere in my policy documents does it say about not being able to modify/engine swap.Sorry to hijack but just giving my advice

the vast majority of cars on the road are factory standard models, why would you expect a shop chain who offers insurance to insure an old car with a different engine????? they probably have a deal with swiss underwriters that only covers standard vehicles, & as that accounts for 99.5% of the market, why not???

Andy
19-08-08, 09:26 PM
Ok so why has it made it go up so high with other insurers?? Ive never done an engine swap before so didnt know btw.

mowgli
19-08-08, 09:31 PM
bad luck I guess. if you got an engineers report stating that the car has been upgraded to another model in the range, some insurers will accept it.

Andy
19-08-08, 09:39 PM
I have and sent it to them aswell (they requested it) Do you mean they will accept its basically an Sr?

bola
19-08-08, 09:46 PM
your fitting a 1.6 SPI engine.... why? Just fit the mpi engine and ahve a far better start

No im fitting a gsi engine mate. I have checked with my insurance and it will increase by around £200 :D

Andy
19-08-08, 09:49 PM
See,whats all that about?! Whos that with?

mowgli
19-08-08, 09:58 PM
I have and sent it to them aswell (they requested it) Do you mean they will accept its basically an Sr?
if you'd stated it was upgraded to a 1.3L & got it backed up by an engineers report, then they would have trouble arguing it out.....

I am with everyone else in stating that insurance staff know feck all, a colleague once tried to insure a yugo (!) , & the direct line person assured him that there was no such car!!

bola
19-08-08, 10:02 PM
With the nfu mate, theyre pretty good with insurance

Riggy
19-08-08, 10:17 PM
back on topic, lol

you need engine and car loom with ecu , keep your spi tank just get a mk3 astra mpi internal fuel pump to replace the one in your tank

driveshafts will be fine , upgrade brakes if you havent already

only prob you might have is with the bottom rad hose as the rad end is bigger on a gte/gsi engine and rad set up so if you keep your rad , use your pipe , if you fit big rad and fane use the gte/gsi pipe lol

Riggy
19-08-08, 10:18 PM
for a how to click here (http://www.corsa-novatuning.nl/uk/PartsA1600.htm)

Riggy
19-08-08, 10:20 PM
bollocks just re-read ,you have carb , either fit gte/gsi tank and external pump or nova spi tank and astra mk3 mpi internal pump lol

bola
19-08-08, 10:36 PM
Ta riggy, that guides good!