PDA

View Full Version : Magnex S/S Backbox Vs Standard Centre Section

vaughanmc
18-08-08, 08:20 PM
I have a Magnex S/S backbox for my Nova but still have the original centre section

When we went to put the backbox onto the centre section *all clipped into place etc* it would pop the centre section bracket out of the rubber mountings

Any idea why this is happening ?

Would a cut-out from the bumper solve the problem so the system sits even ?

Any help is much appreciated

Cheers, Vaughan :thumb:

Adam
18-08-08, 08:29 PM
Is it rubbing the bumper then??
Tried turning the backbox slightly? (turning the backbox alters the position of the middle section too)
The centre section shouldn't slide off, because to get it off the hanger you have to twist/turn it(it doesnt slide off forwards)

vaughanmc
18-08-08, 08:38 PM
Aye it does rub the back bumper maybe about 3cm max from the original cut out - Cutting that isn't a problem like

We had the backbox on its mount and also slid over the centre section but when we done that it knocked the centre section out of its mount

Leeboo
18-08-08, 08:40 PM
Yeah Vaughan, as Adam said, playing about with the backbox alters the position of the centre section.

When you say that the two rubber mounts pop off, do you mean that the centre section is sitting so high, that it doesn't rely on the mounts?

I don't think cutting the bumper would make much of a difference Vaughan. If you have got the backbox in its hanger, then thats it in position. Just play about with the back box a bit.

Worst comes to worst, get a garage to hold a blow torch the back box inlet pipe and bend it slightly to fit better.

Hope you get sorted:thumb: .

vaughanmc
18-08-08, 08:41 PM
When the backbox is off the centre section can be mounted correctly on the hangers

But when the backbox goes on it seems to knock it off...

Strange..?

Leeboo
18-08-08, 08:43 PM
Sounds like the back box is making the centre section sit too high. Needs a wee bend maybe, imo.

vaughanmc
18-08-08, 09:19 PM
Hmm no idea, going to let my mates dad have a look I think

See what he reckons - If the backbox is useless I'll get a full system :)

Cheers for all your help boys, I'll let you know how I get on

Adam
18-08-08, 09:28 PM
Is it definently just a seperate backbox meant to fit the standard nova system?
And not a backbox from a full Magnex system....
If you get me

Sturge
18-08-08, 09:36 PM
I seem to remember this being a common fault with Magnex stuff on the nova a few years back. Has the hanging bracket on the box had a knock thats bent it slightly, making it sit wrong? Failing that you usually have to be pretty forceful with exhausts to get them sitting right. Loosen the centre section at the front so you can twist it about easier, might be able to get it to sit properly. I've previously cable tied the centre section rubbers together to pull them tight onto the hangers on a system that sat too high. Wasn't supporting it but stopped it moving side to side

vaughanmc
18-08-08, 10:13 PM
Well Adam the guy gave me a S/S centre section lol But to cut a long story short - Its been cracked and re-welded

But I could maybe get someone to weld a piece from the Magnex centre section onto the original so the Magnex backbox slides into place easier then cut a hole out the bumper so it sits tight

I really have no idea what the problem is lol

Cheers for the further help!

Adam
18-08-08, 10:48 PM
Thats probably the problem, the Magnex mid section may be different to the gm one(the pipe joins are in different positions)
Which i think is causing your problem

vaughanmc
19-08-08, 07:28 AM
Aye that could be it mate - I'll get my mates dad to stick it on the ramps at some point and have a look :)

Sturge
19-08-08, 01:18 PM
Bring it to Billing if you want Vaughan, if I'm feeling better I'll have a quick look at it for you

vaughanmc
19-08-08, 04:44 PM
Won't be at Billing I don't think mate, thanks for the offer though :)

+1 rep ;)