PDA

View Full Version : gsi tuning

jim sri
10-10-02, 09:44 PM
what sort of mods can be done to tune a 1600 gte/gsi engine-its gonna be stripped down before goin in my sr, so will have good access to top and bottom end.
a new cam will be added-any ideas what type/brand i should get?
new chip?
it will be used as a road car-but want it to be fast enough to p**s on larger saloons!
any sugestions appreciated :lol:

Dicko
12-10-02, 08:11 PM
defo a superchip or similar (ask around on here you might be able to get a cloned copy for around ?50)
go for a piper cam, if the engine has done alot of miles you will probly need the kit!!
new cam belt is a must. a good exhaust always helps!!
drill 10 15mm holes in the bottom of the airbox. i did this with mine and found i got better performance than fitting a K&N induction kit! and its a free mod :)
also remove the strange trumper like plastic piece from inside the airbox!

jim sri
12-10-02, 08:59 PM
does fitting a higher lift cam make the engine not run properly? i mean im used to dealing with carbed engines, but not injection-does the ecu automatically adjust the fuelling etc to handle it?

Stuart
12-10-02, 10:13 PM
the ecu can deal with an uprated cam to an extent then you have to get uprated fuel pressure reg and or new injectors to compensate. OR get a mappable ecu, its better than a *cough* "superchip" and if you decide to take the sensible option and get TB's then your ready set up :)

gas flow the head, get it opened up a bit to allow a greater mean coefficient of discharge, which gives more power. DONT polish the inlet tract but do polish the exhuast tract, also try matching the inlet and exhaust manifolds to the head.

bascially let the engine breath easily.

as for the bottom end get hold of some ARP rod bolts so you can "safely" go to higher revs.

tomstickland
14-10-02, 05:12 PM
The head is the key. For example, Blydenstein B+ head with decent exhaust and air filter liberates 15-20BHP from the 1.6 8v engine.
Better of sorting the head than the cam. Ditto superchips.

My advise is:
modified air box with 100% cold air feed
decent head
match head to inlet manifold
decent exhaust system
with either decent 2:1 downpipe or
a proven 4:2:1 manifold.

jim sri
14-10-02, 10:23 PM
where's the best place to look for the B+ head and a higher lift cam kit??
how much is the head roughly??

mowgli
14-10-02, 10:40 PM
Blydenstein advertises in CCC, I think he is based in Herts

Cheers Mowgli

Dicko
15-10-02, 12:03 AM
i know of somebody selling a 1600GTE engine, along with a B or B+ head (not sure which) and 2 sets of twin 40's for ?500

NovaGSi1600
15-10-02, 07:39 AM
Is he selling the 40's separatley?

Any idea of the price for 40's, manifold and linkage?

Cheers,
Mick

jim sri
15-10-02, 02:37 PM
where abouts is the person selling the 1600 gte engine?