PDA

View Full Version : why does it have to rain - help please

novalew
18-08-08, 07:05 PM
Hi peeps i have a little problem when it rains

I have a nova GSI and recently when it rains my car will start coughing and spluttering at juntions it does eventually pick up after a few seconds but is getting dangerous and annoying

Also if the car has been left out in the rain for about 2 hours or so i'll go to it and it won't start and take me ages to get going, even though it's just been sat there.

Does anyone get this problem aswell?

I'd be grateful for any ideas please - was gonna take the mrs and kid down wales the weekend but i aint trusting it like this

rysmee
18-08-08, 07:38 PM
well i'd put my money on an ignition problem..with water getting in somewhere it shouldn't. I assume its earlier dizzy and not coilpack?
If so ensure the leads/cap/ and coil are well protected from the water - even if it means covering them in a plastic bag or something just to prove it.
May also be worth whipping the cap off just to check the arm and contacts inside.. they may be worn corroded and a little mositure will be enough to give it a little hesitation.
For another angle you could look at the possibility of water entering the intake and disrutping the maf, but that'll prob only cause a problem if you have an induction kit, and even so is unlikely so i'd put my money on the ignition.
Again for the standing problem just the cap etc being damp could cause you problems - easy way to check - next time it rains and wont start - pop the cap off and give th contacts a quick wipe off - maybe get a hair drier/heat gun on there just to give it some warmth.. then put it back on and see if it fires up first time. if so then you know its that. hope that helps

novalew
19-08-08, 07:43 AM
as i have had the car well the engine for over 2 years now and this is a recent problem is probably worth changing the dizzy/rotor and leads?

is it worth replacing the coil?

joff-turbo-nova
19-08-08, 12:58 PM
as i have had the car well the engine for over 2 years now and this is a recent problem is probably worth changing the dizzy/rotor and leads?

is it worth replacing the coil?

I'd start with the cheaper options like plugs , leads and dizzy cap (if it has one) and go from there.

80% of problems when damp/wet are usually ignition system related.

Let us know how you get on.

Joff

novalew
26-08-08, 08:09 AM
problem solved changed leads, dizzy, rotor arm, and ignition coil works a treat now

cheers guys