PDA

View Full Version : starter block

jimbob-mcgrew
18-08-08, 12:32 AM
im rigging up a switch for the ignition and a button for the starter, 2 wires do the ignition and a 3rd links to those for the starter, but whats the 4th wire for ? it doesnt appear to be there for anything ?
can anyone shed some light ? cheers.

mowgli
18-08-08, 09:14 AM
you usually have the ign on for normal running (these things get turned off when starting to give the starter more oomph) , the starter one, & one for the coil to keep it premanently live when starting,

jimbob-mcgrew
18-08-08, 10:03 PM
i dont really understand lol.
if i join 2 wires together that gives me ignition, then i touch the third wire (starter) to those 2 and the engine cranks and fires, the 4th wire isn't involed in the process, do i just leave that dissconected ? i havn't tracked it back to its source yet, might help me havvin a look see where it goes, most prob into a relay or something tho if my memorys working.

edit : if the ignition needs to be cut temporarily during cranking, do you reckon ill be better off with a single 2 stage switch, rather than the switch and button, one that has an ( off-on-springback ) kinda job, i dont know the technical term for it.. i know bugger all about switches and relays.

jimbob-mcgrew
22-08-08, 10:37 PM
anybody ?