PDA

View Full Version : Blower not producing hot air

Mr Dan
10-10-02, 05:58 PM
With the cold mornings really starting now, I've realised my blower is not producing heated air, any ideas how to fix? (mk 2 dash)
Also, do the 3 knobs on the centre console which control the air flow light up like the hazard light switch as mine doesn't?
Cheers

8)

Ric 16v
10-10-02, 06:11 PM
yes the 3 knobs light up but it's probably just ur bulbs that have gone, does the blower come on when u turn the fan knob ??? if not then the wires have come loose on the back of it !!!! as for the heater not working see if the heater pipes are blocked that go into the bulkhead if not replace the thermostat and then try it, if those arn't it the wire has come off the dial on the dash like it did on mine, look under your dash and see, I just tied it up witha cable tie and it worked fine !!!!!! good luck

cornish
10-10-02, 07:07 PM
Note that the two vents in the middle of the dash are cold air vents only :roll:

mowgli
10-10-02, 08:51 PM
If there is air in your cooling system, either from a blown head gasket or from not bleeding the system when changing the antifreeze, you can get no heat from the heater. may be worth a look.
If the thermostat has failed, or a previous owner has removed it to mask other problems then you won't get much heat from the heater.

Cheers Mowgli

Adam Moran
10-10-02, 10:08 PM
I have got a simalar problem too..... no light behind the 3 switches but I can't turn the bloody heat off - it must be the switch but i cant get it of. The haynes says "pull it" off but it wont budge!!

geordie_racer
10-10-02, 10:47 PM
i have light 2 the centre fan speed switch but not to the heat control (blue 2 red switch) and the other 1 ne ideas?

cheers
chris

rob.slader
11-10-02, 10:52 AM
Sounds like a common problem. I don't have any lights on the centre heater controls at all either. Its a pain getting them out as you have to take out air vents and the top centre part of the dash. (MK 2 dash that is).

GR
11-10-02, 02:57 PM
Chances are if your not getting hot air, your heater matrix is fucked. They're fairly easy to replace, get one from a scrappy. you'll need some heater hosing aswell - easily obtained from the halfords section that sells all different tubing etc.

Chances are it is the matrix.

Mr Dan
11-10-02, 05:22 PM
Hmm, looks like I'll be digging the ol' Haynes manual out. All I know about the matrix is that it's a blinding film! lol

8)

mowgli
11-10-02, 08:28 PM
Just another thought before you strip the car........
next time you go for a drive of more than 5 mins, pull up, lift the bonnet, and put your hand on each of the heater hoses. If only one of them is warm, chances are the matrix is tatered, if both are cold, then it has air in the system, & if both are warm then something else is wrong, maybe the control flap/cable is broken.

Best of luck
Mowgli

Ric 16v
12-10-02, 06:15 PM
the lights in the 3 centre dials are a piece of piss to get out for the left and right ones all u do is pull the knob off, if it's tight lever it off with a screwdriver don't brake it though !!!!! unscrew the plastic bit and remove it and u will see the little buld in the top left/right corner, I got mine out with a pair of tweezers and a bit of wiggling the bulb about in the process, for the middle dial, pull the knob out to the position when it heats the rear window and u will see a bit of plastic on either side, push each side in and it will then just pull out, it's easy to get the bulb out of this one coz the holder comes out aswell, job done !!!!!! :D :D :D :D

Mingle
14-10-02, 01:57 PM
Just a simple but have you checked your water level lately? If theres no water in there you won't get no hot air. The 3 heater controls on mine don't work either but seem to come on every now and then. At the moment i got the temp select one on lol.

?Marty?
15-10-02, 12:17 AM
None of mine work. I can't be arsed fucking around with them, but it's getting damn cold now. :evil:

Dicko
15-10-02, 12:45 PM
1st - of all your water level needs to be above the bottom of the expansion bottle (shud b anyways).
2nd - does your heater knob turn very easily. If it does the control might have snaped off at the back.
3rd - if the above are both ok it has goto be a blocked or kinked pipe going into the heater matrix, or the matrix itself is buggered <-more likely the case!!

novax
15-10-02, 08:40 PM
Dash lights - The proper way to get them out is to remove the cold vent assey. Undo the torx screws, and the one hidden under the LH vent (pop it out). Lift it off and the 2 bulbs are sat on top in easy reach.

Matrix - I had this when I built "X". The matrix was blocked up totally, pull off the hoses in the engine bay and use a hose pipe 'til it runs clear through both directions.

Heat on all the time - Either side of the matrix, look under shelf space, there is a lever. This is connected to the knobs, if it's broken you'll always get the same heat level.