PDA

View Full Version : Calling all DJ's

FUSION X16XE
17-08-08, 05:46 PM
Righty im looking to get some 'propa' equipment soon as im starting to get onto the club scene and the stuff im using at is totaly different to what they have/use in clubs.

Firstly i want to know what everybody else uses? :wtf:

This is what i want to get from my new equipment:

Mostly value for money of corse,
Small, light weight package i can easily take around to house parties etc..
Be able to scratch,
cd's (doesnt matter if they are mp3 or not as tbh i wouldnt play them)
Effects on-board (wether it be the mixer or cd players)
Table top style (i.e. CDJs not he stupid rack mount things)

So ive had a look around and found some posiblilties:

http://www.djfinancedirect.co.uk/prod-details.asp?AID=811

This is ideal as its a small package and has the user inferface of the pioneer equipment that ill be using. But only has 2 channels, now im asking myself do i need 4 channels? will i use them? does anybody else? if so-

http://www.djfinancedirect.co.uk/prod-details.asp?AID=877

This has the 4 channels but apart from that im struggling to see what else im getting??

Ive herd good things about Denon but ive never used them so whats the motorised platter like? how would people rate them over the CDJ1000mk2 for instance?

(I know the main differences between the 1000 and 800 and im cool with that i dont really used hot cue points anyways. So i dont see the point in the extra cash for the 1000s)

Ill also get this http://www.djfinancedirect.co.uk/prod-details.asp?AID=605 :D

How does this plug in? Would it work with the djm-400? does it only work on one channel? I dont get how it works tbh lol

I play mostly electo house and UK garage so from peoples experience and from what they have seen pros use what would you recomend? :thumb::thumb:

edit: whats the 'control' plug on the back of the mixer for?

The Simps
17-08-08, 05:51 PM
Anything Pioneer based. All the clubs have pioneers these days so as long as you're comfortable with the layout, feel etc.

800mk2 are great.

do you use vinyl or a 3rd cdj? if not then don't waste an extra £500 on 2 more channels. Use that to upgrade to 1000mk3s instead if you've got it. The wave form is handy.

That effects unit - aren't most of those effects on the pioneers mixers anyway? would you not be better off getting a decent sampler?

FUSION X16XE
17-08-08, 06:13 PM
Ummm lol

This is what i mean i currently use a midi controler and i am not really up for relying on that in a live performance.

Thinking about it i would like 4 channels but im not sure if id use them tbh and im thinking maybe i should leave that for a year or so down the line?

What can i do with a sampler? Im looking at a Akai MPC500 now but tbh ive never used one and ive never seen one being used lol

In an ideal world id have a DJM800 and 4 CDJ1000 mk3s but im not rolling in it! lol

I would be using a CDJ to scratch, But as ive never had more than 2 channels i dont know wether i would scratch over 2 channels or just one.

Think i need to go into town tomorrow and have a play around.

Simps what do you use?

edit: ive been DJing for over 2 years now so i know what im doing but ive been so stuck in my ways that i havent thought about upgrading and moving with the times. Im now being asked to do private and public performances so i need the gear thats up to the job.

FUSION X16XE
17-08-08, 06:22 PM
What do people think of this? http://www.behringer.com/DDM4000/index.cfm?lang=Eng

kevw
17-08-08, 07:46 PM
I'd buy the best you can first time round.

I think this is one of them things where everyone has their own opinion, Simps is right though, 99% of places will have CDJ1000's and probably at least a DJM600 although the DJM800 is mega common now. If you start playing in clubs you'll probably always want 1000MK3s at home if you don't have them, it's just one of them things lol

The whole CDJ800 vs CDJ1000 debate is a a bit of a tricky one. In use a CDJ800mk2 is just as good as a 1000mk3 in my eyes. When I'm playing to a packed dance floor all eyes is on them, I hardly look at the screen so I can't say the wave display helps me that much, I've never used the memory card thing, any cue points and loops are done on the fly.

I like the loop buttons on the 800, the 1000 has cue points instead (also good). I'd love a CDJ that had both these features!

Rather than an EFX1000 I'd use the money towards a DJM800, although a DJM800 AND EFX1000 will definately add a whole new dimension to your sound and you can get VERY creative and unique.

RE: Behringer - I'm not a fan, I had a Behringer mixer once and it didn't last long, we don't hammer the gear but the DJM600 I have now has been through a fair bit without any probs (touch wood!).

If I had a DJM800 this is pretty much my ideal setup: :D
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg240/kev-w/100_3543.jpg

Dave.
17-08-08, 07:50 PM
thats some gear there kev :thumb:

kevw
17-08-08, 07:53 PM
That's my favourite place in the house lol

tony k
17-08-08, 08:03 PM
I'd buy the best you can first time round.

I think this is one of them things where everyone has their own opinion, Simps is right though, 99% of places will have CDJ1000's and probably at least a DJM600 although the DJM800 is mega common now. If you start playing in clubs you'll probably always want 1000MK3s at home if you don't have them, it's just one of them things lol

The whole CDJ800 vs CDJ1000 debate is a a bit of a tricky one. In use a CDJ800mk2 is just as good as a 1000mk3 in my eyes. When I'm playing to a packed dance floor all eyes is on them, I hardly look at the screen so I can't say the wave display helps me that much, I've never used the memory card thing, any cue points and loops are done on the fly.

I like the loop buttons on the 800, the 1000 has cue points instead (also good). I'd love a CDJ that had both these features!

Rather than an EFX1000 I'd use the money towards a DJM800, although a DJM800 AND EFX1000 will definately add a whole new dimension to your sound and you can get VERY creative and unique.

RE: Behringer - I'm not a fan, I had a Behringer mixer once and it didn't last long, we don't hammer the gear but the DJM600 I have now has been through a fair bit without any probs (touch wood!).

If I had a DJM800 this is pretty much my ideal setup: :D
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg240/kev-w/100_3543.jpg

thats exactly the same setup as ive got ive got technics mk5 g aswell
i will ask my brother tomorrow for you as he plays at alot of raves and theat ie raindance and alot of that scene

Dave.
17-08-08, 08:09 PM
That's my favourite place in the house lol

your neighbours must love you lol

FUSION X16XE
17-08-08, 08:21 PM
Hmmm food for thought!

Im off into town tomorrow to try some stuff and ill be going plaza next month so hopefully by then ill be all sorted on the money side and i can start buying :)

Everytime i see ur set up Kev i get more and more jelous lol do you use the EFX much?

The Simps
17-08-08, 09:09 PM
Simps what do you use?

My set up is terrible and the reason I've been struggling! I've got 2 stanton turntables (borrowed) which are awesome but rarely get used now. 2 Gemini CDJs (borrowed) that are crap! I think you can buy them for about £50 each crap. 1 of them also always skips when you use the cue button, so pretty much useless which means I can only mix 1 track. My mixer is a Kam scratch pro mixer which is pretty good and has 4 eq's rather than 3.

I've only played in clubs twice and both times on pioneers. The platter felt so different and took me 15/20mins to adjust. The fader felt different on the mixer and 3 eq's sound different to 4.

I've stopped playing now as things are just too hectic at the mo to even comprehend playing regular, buying tunes, practicing etc. I hoping new year I can start up again, but realistically I need to buy a pioneer setup 1st which is muchos ££££s sadly.

ditto that :thumb:

kevw
18-08-08, 10:51 AM
Everytime i see ur set up Kev i get more and more jelous lol do you use the EFX much?

Yea I use it all the time when it's hooked up. If we take the stuff somewhere and I don't hook the EFX back up it sometimes sits there gathering dust for months!
I use 1/2 beat delay a lot in my sets to spice things up, you can do it on the DJM's effects but the EFX does it better and you can apply it to hi, mid, low or a combination of each which is well cool!

What is your setup then, I think I remember you saying Traktor and a controller? What controller?

FUSION X16XE
18-08-08, 12:38 PM
Ow klkl

Started of with a BCD2000 and the b-dj software (Behringer!) got pi**ed of with sound drops so i got Numark Cue and that was wicked. Controler got way over used and started messing about (lasted a year of constant abuse, not bad for <£200) So went for the M-AUDIO XPONENT and is a wicked piece of kit! Sub £400 and it was as close to cdjs as i could get but still using the pc (not talking time coded cds here) and now i want to bin the pc all together and 'do it properly' lol

So Kev how does the EFX plug in? And what are the control plugs for in the back of the Pioneer mixers?

kevw
18-08-08, 01:19 PM
M-AUDIO XPONENT I've looked into this and it does look awesome, is it nice to use?

now i want to bin the pc all together and 'do it properly' As far as I'm concerned if a DJ can make a club full of people have a good night then he's/she's doing it properly. I'm not that into people who use software that beat matches for them, thats half the fun and that's the core technical skill that takes ages to master. I love it when your dancing in a club and you hear the tune go out of sync a bit, if the DJ pulls it back in you remember how hard he's working behind the decks.

So Kev how does the EFX plug in? And what are the control plugs for in the back of the Pioneer mixers? The EFX plugs in to the "send and return" on the back of the mixer. That's the preferred way but it can also go between the mixer and amp with phono leads.
The EFX has "IN" sockets (where sound goes in), there are phono or 1/4 inch sockets, there's then the same for "OUT" (where sound comes out with effects applied).
Most Pioneer mixers (and other brands) have 1/4 inch send and return which is basically a way to "send" the sound to the EFX which then "returns" it back to the mixer. There is a knob on the mixer where you choose which channel to send to the EFX. Basically the mixer has "OUT" and "IN" sockets that plug in to the EFX, the "OUT" from the mixer would go to the "IN" on the EFX and vice versa.
If you were to connect the EFX between the mixer and amp you would be applying the effects to all the sound coming out of the mixer. Sometimes you might have 2 or more tunes coming out but only want to apply affects to 1 of them and you can only do that with the send/return configuration.

Control plugs are 3.5mm sockets that allow you to plug the mixer into a CDJ and then configure the CDJ so that when the crossfader (maybe even the channel faders) are moved it makes the CDJ play. I think there is a way to link 2 CDJ's together so when one finishes the other plays. I've never used these features before.

Hope this helps!

craig green
18-08-08, 01:50 PM
Good thread, I've been wanting to get into DJing for years now. I'm starting to think about it a lot more, seems like the hardware side of things is a right minefield.

I'd like to stay true to vinyl but I can't help thinking you can't ignore CDJ's much like you still can't ignore vinyl.
Do some of the CDJ's have a memory stick plug or similar??

FUSION X16XE
18-08-08, 02:38 PM
I've looked into this and it does look awesome, is it nice to use?

Ye not bad the software isnt great but there is the xy pad that you can get some great effects out of.

So am i right in thinking if i got a DJM700 and a EFX1000 thay would be compatible? If so i think ill get that and two CDJ800 mk2s? Then in a year or so get two 1000 mk3s and my set up will be complete :eek: alot of money there lol

Yes Craig the CDJ400 has a usb port for attaching a HDD or memory stick.

Cheers guys :thumb:

craig green
18-08-08, 03:10 PM
Yes Craig the CDJ400 has a usb port for attaching a HDD or memory stick.

Cheers guys :thumb:

Is there any kind of pitch control or even a display for track no's ortitles?

FUSION X16XE
18-08-08, 05:07 PM
Is there any kind of pitch control or even a display for track no's ortitles?

One the CDJ400's you mean?

http://www.djstore.com/item/piocdj400.htm

craig green
18-08-08, 05:26 PM
Anyone want to swap their DJ equipment for my Nova?

kevw
18-08-08, 05:30 PM
I just remembered I played on a pair of CDJ400's in a bar in Ibiza, they were just like CDJ800's!!
They have a red light that goes round the edge of the platter when the tune is playing, looks well good in the dark, look on youtube for a vid of one.

The Simps
18-08-08, 06:54 PM
if you want a cheap turntable setup to learn on Craig I'm selling my old Numark Direct drive setup for not a lot of money.

krobinson
18-08-08, 07:28 PM
I agree with Kev on this one, go with the best you can first off, cheaper stuff is worth nothing second hand if you get bored. At lease CDJ's at £1550 a pair will be worth £1200 in a years time second hand.

I love my CDJ's, I just need to save £1100 now for a DJM800, hopefully i'll sort it over the winter.

Keith

The Simps
18-08-08, 08:42 PM
This is my measley setup. The mixer is the only thing thats actually mine, the rest is borrowed! lol

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/TheSimps/DJGear.jpg

FUSION X16XE
19-08-08, 05:57 PM
So what do you use more, CD's or vinyl?

The Simps
19-08-08, 09:22 PM
CDs more, vinyl when I want to look cool.