PDA

View Full Version : using innertube with alloys

dan23
17-08-08, 10:19 AM
i have a set of 2 alloys all have had new tyres fitted an been bead sealed but one them goes flat within 2 days

is it ok to run it with a tube

General Baxter
17-08-08, 10:21 AM
i dont think you can with alloy but whatdo i know lol

loggyboy
17-08-08, 10:37 AM
Arent innertubes not supposed to be used with tyres that arent intended to be run with them?

djshaggeh
17-08-08, 10:45 AM
Innner tubes are actually illegal on cars if I remember correctly. Just take them to a local tyre place get them to take the tyres off and clean up the bead on the alloys (the bit where the tyre sits) and get them to put some bead sealer on there (its usally a black or orange paste) its like glue. That will seal them, mine where the same.

dan23
17-08-08, 10:53 AM
they have been bead sealed when the tyre were fitting the wheel that is leaking had been curbed its been refured now but still leaks so a tube is theronly option
but how safe would it be

Stuart
17-08-08, 10:57 AM
getting the wheel FIXED properly is your only option (well that or get a new alloy).

DO NOT use an innertube for its uninteded purpose

djshaggeh
17-08-08, 10:58 AM
Im sure it will be ok with an inner tube then.

The alloys must be buckled/****ed/battered if they are leaking due to them being curbed. When you say curbed, do you mean cracked?

mowgli
17-08-08, 12:27 PM
the main problem with fitting an inner tube in a tubeless tyre is when it inflates, the air trapped between the tube & the tyre will slowly leak out, & unless you continually check & adjust it, it could go down very quickly

dan23
17-08-08, 01:01 PM
Im sure it will be ok with an inner tube then.

The alloys must be buckled/****ed/battered if they are leaking due to them being curbed. When you say curbed, do you mean cracked?

when they refurbed it they said it was slightley bent

brainsnova
17-08-08, 01:19 PM
inner tubes are illegal now but i do remember seing a tire place putting in a plastic bag to seal it now thats cowboy style.

djshaggeh
17-08-08, 03:10 PM
I dont see how a curbed alloy is going to effect the tyre from sealing.

If they are curbed then the face of the alloy is scuffed - which is no where near where the tyre sits.

dan23
17-08-08, 05:00 PM
well i supose when it hit the curb it hit it hard enough to slighty bend the lip

dan23
17-08-08, 05:03 PM
the main problem with fitting an inner tube in a tubeless tyre is when it inflates, the air trapped between the tube & the tyre will slowly leak out, & unless you continually check & adjust it, it could go down very quickly

the air trapped between the tyre an tube will escape like it did when there was no tube in due to it leaking

but the inner tube wont go down if that happens

why are tubes ilegal now

Ben
17-08-08, 05:39 PM
if the tyres that buckeled you cant get a tyre to sit on it you really dont want to be driving the car wth it on, will wobble and shake like a bitch and always have doubt in your mind the tyre might come off.

General Baxter
17-08-08, 07:51 PM
id say get some new rims ;)

djshaggeh
18-08-08, 01:01 AM
well i supose when it hit the curb it hit it hard enough to slighty bend the lip

The lip is usually about an inch pretruding from the bead and its fairly chuncky. Sounds to me like there fooked.

mowgli
18-08-08, 09:10 AM
the air trapped between the tyre an tube will escape like it did when there was no tube in due to it leaking

but the inner tube wont go down if that happens

why are tubes ilegal now

I hope you aren't a tyre fitter.

when you fit a tube to a tubeless rim, & inflate it to, say, 30psi. the actual air in the tube will be about 1/2 of what is needed to sustain that pressure, the rest is what is trapped between the tube, tyre & the rim. this trapped air then starts to bleed out, thus you end up with a 15psi tyre & are merrily driving down the road..... & that is dangerous..........

Welsh Dan
18-08-08, 10:11 AM
The wheel could be cracked.....

R1CH
18-08-08, 11:58 AM
I've had a tube in the rear near side wheel on my 106 for well over a year, was fitted after i got a puncture near the side wall about 2 week after getting the tyre fitted.
Never had probs with it loosing 1/2 its air or any other probs for that matter.

mowgli
18-08-08, 02:48 PM
I've had a tube in the rear near side wheel on my 106 for well over a year, was fitted after i got a puncture near the side wall about 2 week after getting the tyre fitted.
Never had probs with it loosing 1/2 its air or any other probs for that matter.

no, cos you had a puncture so the air went out quickly. this thread is about a rim leaking slowly.

R1CH
18-08-08, 04:59 PM
He says it goes flat in about 2 days, all he'd need to do if he gets a tube fitted is inflate it then leave it sitting for a few days then check and re-inflate it to what ever pressure he's running in them, then to be on the safe side if he checks them each day (for a couple of days?) to make sure the pressures ok, can't see it causing a problem.