PDA

View Full Version : Changing sump gasket

rob.slader
10-10-02, 10:12 AM
Right then, am going to be changing the sump gasket this Saturday on my mk2 1400sr as it's now leaking. As far as I know you only need to remove the downpipe to get this off easily. Do any of you know if anything else will have to be removed such as starter motor etc before I go in un-prepared?! I will be changing the oil and oil filter at the same time, and realise you don't do the bolts up too tight as this will damage the cork gasket. Any other advise would be good too! Cheers.

MattyWoo
10-10-02, 12:26 PM
The downpipe will probably be quite difficult to get off, but i got mine off by smacking it lots!!!
I'm not sure if its the same as on mine (probably not cos mines a mk1 1.2, i don't know much about mk2's) but i had to remove the flywheel cover to get to a couple of the bolts on the sump
Also once uve drained put the plug back in, of course i didnt do this and ended up with oil all over me and the driveway by the time i'd finished

Stuart
10-10-02, 01:08 PM
i advise that you wear goggles because when i did mine i got old engine oil and bits of rust exhaust in my eye, v painfull! lol

appart from that just get some of that blue gasket compound to hold the cork one in place so that you can reassemle the lot, oh and a nice long and thin extension is neede for the bolt at the flywheel end of the sump.

i'd also suggest that while youve got the sump off to clean out the pick up pipe.

have fun