PDA

View Full Version : Help - I've lost my one and only key???

AndyRT
09-10-02, 09:43 PM
:( Hi guys hopefully one of you can help me. I've lost my one and only key (Yeh I know I should have got another cut...). The manual says to remove the steering lock turn it to position II and insert a bit of wire into the spyhole and retrieve the lock barrel. Well I can;t do this as I have no key. What is the best way of getting either a new key cut without the original or retrieving the steering lock so I can by a new one and fit it as I can't see how to take the old one out with no key available. Help.......the bus is killing my street cred. :cry:

Andy

mowgli
09-10-02, 10:10 PM
For Christ's Sake don't Panic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dead easy to fix this as long as you have still got your original hatch fitted.

If you can get into the car, hop in the back, fold down the rear seat & remove the parcel shelf (Why do they call it that?) Remove the cover panel on the hatch, and on a sticky label on the side of the boot lock assy is the key number for your car... Take this along to the nearest main dealer and order a new key. It will take a few days at the most.

If you are locked out then I'm not saying how I can get into novas without a key, or every tow rag will be doing it.

Keep the Faith

Mowgli

Manta Mad
09-10-02, 10:11 PM
Not sure if Vauxhall dealers can do this but with some makes, all you need to do is give the dealer the chassis number and they can get a new key for you. (this would only work if the car still has its original locks)Other thought is - seem to remember reading somewhere that the key number is stamped on the lock barrell - might be worth a look inside the door just in case.

mowgli
09-10-02, 10:33 PM
I can assure you that the only place on a vauxhall that the key number is located is on the rear hatch lock barrel. I lost a key recently, and had to get a new one.
Cheers
Mowgli

AndyRT
09-10-02, 10:41 PM
Thanks for your help guys but my hatch key is different than the steering lock and drivers door key so I guess they must have been changed by the previous owner, ( A Vicar and I'm totally serious..!!). I can get in the car no problem as I have the passenger door key so I can open the drivers door and take out the lock for a new one but its the steering lock that is giving me the major headache.
Any other ideas I can try. All appreciated.

Andy

Manta Mad
09-10-02, 10:46 PM
cheers mowgli - new it was somewhere.

Looks like the only option is to get a replacement ignition switch. Although one last thought, is your petrol cap the same as your ignition? if so, chances are its still the original and Vauxhall might be able to help - my thinking being that its unlikely that someone has tampered with your petrol cap so is probably original with car.

mowgli
09-10-02, 10:54 PM
Sorry to hear that the missionaries finally got through to your part of the world.
I think the only cure is a new lock and a haynes book. but still get the lock no. off the hatch and order your new one to match.
If you butcher the old lock, you can usually turn the switch with a screwdriver. Not pretty, but you can still drive it.

I once read a story about a firm who had a contract to supply cars to vicars. They got one back after 3 years. the tyres were down to the cloth, it had never ever been serviced, not even an oil top up, and it had never been MOT'd, taxed or insured. Apparently when you work for a higher authority, minor earthly matters are insignificant.

Hope the dealer doesn't charge too much

Mowgli

AndyRT
09-10-02, 11:14 PM
It looks like I'll need to take out the steering column and use a bit of force to take the old lock off. I'm hopinng that a locksmith may be able to somehow get it to position II and then to remove the barrel is easy but I can smella large bill coming up. The best way is for my son to tell me where he lost the original key.......!!!!!! Pass me the slipper.

Thanks again guys.

Andy

ade
11-10-02, 10:41 PM
have you spoken to vauxhall. They "may" have a master key to fit. Some manufacturers/lock smiths have master keys that cover all locks. There are only small combination of keys for the nova (something like 200!).

Some lock smiths may have certain tools that can help also.

Ade

lol at the slipper - my mum used a wooden spoon and a wooden coat hanger on me once! not at the same time mind

jon_boy
12-10-02, 12:29 PM
good lock smith should do it mate. mates dad apparently done the smae ages ago called a locksmith who used some funky tools. done the lock with no damage at all

benji
15-10-02, 02:38 AM
!!!masterkey???
someones been winding you up.