PDA

View Full Version : oil under K&N filter

cassanova
09-10-02, 06:05 PM
May sound like a dick now but.... better to be safe than sorry. My cars been running like shit lately so i took off my K&N to make sure everything was ok cos when eva ive got troubles i can hear the filter sucking REALLY hard. Took the filter off and the bit ontop of the carb, throttle body possibly??? has got oily shit on it, is that normal? And also, i thought that little flap on it used to move as i revved but now it just stays open.

If its all normal please dont be too nasty :roll:

Cheers in advance

Ford

mowgli
09-10-02, 10:43 PM
Well give us an idea about your engine spec then!!!!!!!!!

On a lighter note, I once had a problem with bad running and a mechanic friend asked if the cam seal was leaking. It was & he said the breather was blocked.
The base of the air filter (standard) was covered in oil, so I asked him how this could be if the breather was blocked. He reckoned that the crankcase pressure builds up and eventually oil will get through.
I got a new one from the dealer. It was a git to fit, & the starter had to be removed first. Cured it though....

cassanova
10-10-02, 12:08 PM
sorry, should hav mentioned that, its a 1992 factory 1.4 SR engine

ade
11-10-02, 10:47 PM
if the oily sh1te is red in colour thats the K&N filter oil.

Wheres yer oil breather pipe - should be tucked away - thats the only other possible cause of opil getting into the carb area.

As for the little plate thing - that yer chole valve (like a little plate at the top) - if yer car has manual choke (dunno if 1.4's do) - and its stuck give it a little clean with some carb cleaner - also check yer cable - it'll affect the idle speed of the engine.

I'm sure the acceperator doesnt move it (cannae remember...)

Ade
:|