PDA

View Full Version : Respray HELP!!

gtachorley
13-08-08, 01:34 PM
Hi all,

Am in the middle of a restoration (read cutting rust out and replacing with new metal) and a respray (will be project thread soon) I have removed the front and rear windows, but I am not sure about the tailgate and front window. Now it seems to me the front window and tailgate will be a biatch as they are glued in (is this correct?) can any one give me any guidence on how simple or difficult it is to remove and more importantly refit these two windows and also would a respray still be ok if they were left in (is there any tecnique to allow a good spray with them in place)?

Any help appreciated

Rory :thumb:

mayhem
13-08-08, 03:46 PM
both are the same as the rear/side windows.

mikey14sr
13-08-08, 04:57 PM
Just held in by rubber seals like on the rear side windows, though the front will no doubt have loads of non-setting sealent in the body groove in an effort to prevent any leaks.

brainsnova
13-08-08, 04:59 PM
for best results all the glass and rubbers should be removed.

mayhem
13-08-08, 05:02 PM
Just held in by rubber seals like on the rear side windows, though the front will no doubt have loads of non-setting sealent in the body groove in an effort to prevent any leaks.

my current one didn't, the old XE one had like 10 liter in it :roll: previous owners can really sucklol

spiceypud
13-08-08, 05:24 PM
better to take them out but if you HAVE to leave them in you can buy seal lifter tape from any paint shop.

easy to remove but hard to put back in may be better paying a profesional a few quid

gtachorley
13-08-08, 07:14 PM
Yeah cheers lads,

Got the back out easy peasy, just that front window worries me :) Might have a go with seal lifting tape and if its not good enough remove the front screen and get a company round to refit it (any one ideas who to call/reccomendations?)

Cheers rory

Pistol Pete
14-08-08, 07:49 PM
I replied to your thread in mechanical!....

Front windscreen is bonded along the bottom edge. I had great fun getting mine out, and cracked it in the process!! Fold the seal in same as the back window and push it out ever so gently. Might be an idea to get a mate or someone to help, and catch the windscreen when it finally comes free!

Start at the top work round to the bottom. Its hard at first but will soon come out.

IMO i wouldnt bother with the wire trick. The time it takes faffing about to get it tucked in, you could have the window out!

You should be able to refit it yourself... get some sealer and some string and away you go!