PDA

View Full Version : Nova GTE Gearbox problems

ash anderson
12-08-08, 12:25 PM
i have discoverd i whining cuming from my gearbox when driving, havnt a clue how long ive had it or how i got it, been to see a mechanic and he insists it is a thrust bearing? any help would be much apreciated

Andy
12-08-08, 12:44 PM
Is the whining in every gear? When you slow down?

mowgli
12-08-08, 12:44 PM
usually its a wheel bearing that go first but it sounds like it coming from the gearbox......

if it is a thrust bearing, it is an easy fix, but it would be noisier with the clutch pressed than from just driving along.

its more likely to be the gearbox bearings, a fairly easy job to fix with some decent tools & a haynes.

Adam
12-08-08, 04:31 PM
A release bearing can sometimes be less noisy with the clutch down(because pressing the clutch takes the play out of the bearing)

ash anderson
12-08-08, 11:21 PM
its all the time when moving, i am beginign to think i could be a wheel bareing but noise doesnt become louder when stearing, if the clutch in down or up makes no diffrence in noise, just stops when not moving doesnt become louder the faster you go either, nothing in haynes about it:confused:

brainsnova
12-08-08, 11:39 PM
is the gearbox oil topped up?

ash anderson
12-08-08, 11:42 PM
is the gearbox oil topped up?

yeah seems to be crnt really se emuch in the dark, the car has coverd 97k but fort the box's lastd foreva on these things

brainsnova
12-08-08, 11:53 PM
i had a gte with 130000 on the clock and it was bullet proof so must be something miner

Welsh Dan
12-08-08, 11:59 PM
Another vote for wheelbearing(s) here. Mine did the same, replacing the wheel bearings sorted it. My car has loads of play in the transmission and it still doesnt whine....

mikey14sr
13-08-08, 10:15 AM
Check the wheel bearings over first, esp if it's been lowered. If they turn out to be ok, and it does appear to be coming from the box, it'll either be diff bearings or shaft bearings, either way it's a full strip-down, or a new box to rectify.

You may be lucky and have a gearbox reconditioners in your area, I know we have one here in hull and I have used them before when my brothers old AX GT was having problems, but tbh after they'd replaced the bearings once and the clutch twice it was a low-milage gearbox from a scrappers that eventually cured it.

Andy
13-08-08, 10:21 AM
Would that be Mr Wallis mikey?

mowgli
14-08-08, 01:07 PM
there are only 4 gearbox & 2 diff bearings. it really is easy to fix. for some reason, loads of people are frightened to take a gearbox apart, but they will strip an engine & rebuild it. a gm gearbox is not frightening to work on.

mikey14sr
14-08-08, 08:12 PM
Would that be Mr Wallis mikey?

I think it may have been, but lets face it, it was a sh*troen afterall, which = French and thus = FAIL.

ash anderson
14-08-08, 11:40 PM
rite been out for a play in the car tonight the noise is like a whining like i originally said, it damn annoyin, if im not moving and i put the clutch down it idles fine without a noise lift the clutch up and the noise is there so i wwas thinking thrust bearing but if it is that it wouldnt whine when driving really stuck on this one, its quit eloudish may be 1st bareing not sure, if its anew job box what could i od to a new one to go faster...

Welsh Dan
14-08-08, 11:43 PM
If its a new box, you could fit a CR (close ratio) one to accelerate faster, which are available for £30-50 (I've got one of these sat in my garage ready for when my gearbox pops its clogs lol), or you could spend a few £k and get a straight cut close ratio box which would give even faster acceleration, or you could spent about £12K on a Quaife Sequential SCCR gearbox lol....

ash anderson
15-08-08, 10:57 AM
If its a new box, you could fit a CR (close ratio) one to accelerate faster, which are available for £30-50 (I've got one of these sat in my garage ready for when my gearbox pops its clogs lol), or you could spend a few £k and get a straight cut close ratio box which would give even faster acceleration, or you could spent about £12K on a Quaife Sequential SCCR gearbox lol....

fancy a buyer for your box only live down the road :thumb: i may repair he thrust bareing and clutch see ifthe problem still occures if so thinking of a close ratio as dont have a spare couple of grand to be waveing away in front of peoples face's

Welsh Dan
15-08-08, 11:37 AM
If I sold it to you, mine would break lol. Truth be told the one in my garage needs stripping and checking before I'd put it up for sale anyway. There's usually loads for sale on here, ebay and migweb. If you get really stuck give me a shout.

ash anderson
15-08-08, 11:54 AM
If I sold it to you, mine would break lol. Truth be told the one in my garage needs stripping and checking before I'd put it up for sale anyway. There's usually loads for sale on here, ebay and migweb. If you get really stuck give me a shout.

i will do mate, see if it gets worse b4 i can be ****d changing clutch and thrust bareing anyway ... been HK-scrapyard this morning couple of nova's there no GTE's tho hah havnt seen one there yet-any help with this problem people would be much apreciated

mikey14sr
15-08-08, 06:46 PM
From that last description it sounds like the clutch release (thrust) bearing or possibly the input shaft bearing. Release bearing is fairly simple to change tbh.

Welsh Dan
15-08-08, 06:52 PM
You can replace your F13 with an F15 if need be, should be loads on corsas and astras.

ash anderson
16-08-08, 11:36 AM
You can replace your F13 with an F15 if need be, should be loads on corsas and astras.

the whining is in evry gear, even when slowing down-what would be the best option for me to do chaps replace clutch seen a4paddle 1 for sale thrust bareing and see were i am with that or just change the whole box

stevenf
16-08-08, 11:41 AM
my corsa has been making the same noise for months lol