PDA

View Full Version : holding back, poppin & bangin

jimbob-mcgrew
10-08-08, 06:40 PM
cars wrecked, slow as hell, aint firing on all cylinders, havent done any checks yet but driving it im gettin a constant popping and banging when i throttle, all i can think of is one of the plugs are dead and its spitting fuel out the exhaust ? any ideas ? cheers.

edit: its a 1.4 mpi

AlexW
10-08-08, 08:57 PM
Its a ford.

Lee
10-08-08, 08:59 PM
Sounds like the ecu has no idea whats going on. Any EML light? Id guess the MAF is probably not happy at all.

jimbob-mcgrew
11-08-08, 12:31 AM
no warning lights on dash.
the probs started to arise after the engine overheated about 10-15 times
warped valves or something mebbe, fkin whole blocks prob warped.
i really need to sell it or get a new engine for it, but cant afford to do either at the mo, need to get it running a bit better so i can keep using it for the next 6 weeks ish.
getting up hills is a joke.. first gear can just about pull it off.

Will F
11-08-08, 08:46 AM
no warning lights on dash.
i really need to sell it or get a new engine for it, but cant afford to do either at the mo, need to get it running a bit better so i can keep using it for the next 6 weeks ish.
getting up hills is a joke.. first gear can just about pull it off.

:roll:

The more you drive it the more damage you are doing - but then who cares? You kept letting it overheat (15 times??) so its your own fault.

Lee
11-08-08, 02:15 PM
I was going to say, asking what the problem is was a bit silly really. Its like getting your leg crushed under a skip, and then asking why you're no longer able to walk!

jimbob-mcgrew
11-08-08, 06:35 PM
sometimes it runs in an acceptable manor, but most of the time its doing one long constant mini-kangaroo thru the revs.
and while im here '**** laptops'

mikey14sr
11-08-08, 07:03 PM

Yep I reckon it's completely goosed! My 1.3 engine cracked the block after it's second overheat, whilst doing 70 on the M1! The fact it got so hot that it actually boiled the oil really didn't help!

jimbob-mcgrew
11-08-08, 07:46 PM
whats the chances of something happenening while im driving it ? it doesnt overheat anymore, but obvioulsy the damage has allready been done. it drives ok if u floor it and keep the revs at about 6000 thru all the gears, it seems to stop juddering when u push it hard, but on our traffic ridden roads.. almost impossible.

Lee
11-08-08, 07:56 PM
I would guess an imminent fail is on the cards, and its anyones guess when it'll happen.

jimbob-mcgrew
11-08-08, 08:11 PM
****, i guess ill just keep driving the thing untill it goes pop in that case, then i might aswell commit a crime and get sent to prison.

quotes from the film dumb and dumber spring to mind:

"now we dont have enuff money to eat, we dont even have enuff money TO SLEEP !"

meritlover
11-08-08, 08:17 PM
sounds like static timing. check the timing belt isnt slack and jumping.

the fact that its over heating so bad suggests to the meritlover that its retarded. (well, something is deffinately retarded somewhere)

please look after your 1.4i

mowgli
11-08-08, 08:45 PM
try new plugs. if they have been cooked, they can give the symptoms you described.

meritlover
11-08-08, 08:46 PM
could be a cracked rotor arm or cap and its causing cross firing.

AlexW
11-08-08, 09:30 PM
He wont be replacing any of the above, he has no money! lol

meritlover
11-08-08, 09:34 PM
then what the hell is the point in this thread?

jimbob-mcgrew
11-08-08, 11:11 PM
i may be able to stretch to a set of plugs - £20 ish aint they

its not a dizzycap & rotor this, dunno what they call it, coilpack ?? it uses the block with leads coming out.

meritlover
11-08-08, 11:16 PM
well i think im done here.

jimbob-mcgrew
12-08-08, 07:30 PM
been thrashing it today, just kept my foot welded to the floor untill it hits 80 mph, then slamming on the brakes and locking em up.. sliding it on the motorway, kept repeating that, bout as much fun as i can get out of it.

meritlover
12-08-08, 07:48 PM
retard :roll:

jimbob-mcgrew
12-08-08, 09:35 PM
im honoured with your helpfullness

meritlover
12-08-08, 09:55 PM
so you should be, meritlover was trying to help, but was at a loss with your lack of effort to even look at it yourself or spend any money on it. why should i continue to help someone who is just thrashing it with WOT and planting the brakes?!

Will F
13-08-08, 08:50 AM
been thrashing it today, just kept my foot welded to the floor untill it hits 80 mph, then slamming on the brakes and locking em up.. sliding it on the motorway, kept repeating that, bout as much fun as i can get out of it.

What an absolute c*ck w*ore.

:roll: