PDA

View Full Version : Speed camera question

dannyb
10-08-08, 01:17 AM
I was driving back through Brighton tonight and got flashed. I was travelling BELOW the 30mph limit, I specifically remember looking at the speedo as I was driving past the GATSO camera. I think the person travelling in the opposite direction was going too fast and must have triggered it.

Will I end up with a fine as I'm sure I was on the markings on the road as it went off. If I do get anything through, will I be able to contest it using the road markings as evidence of my speed, or does the camera recognise which lane the offending vehicle was in?

I'm obviously a little concerned...

Dave.
10-08-08, 01:18 AM
are you running a digi dash or big wheels my any chance?

loggyboy
10-08-08, 01:21 AM
Let me guess, along by shoreham? near macds/halfords? if so its ALWAYS going off, even when no one is there!

either way, yes the lines are a set distance apart, as is the time between flashes. If you get a NIP, write back and request BOTH pics, and the calibration certificate. If you get them back then you can measure the distance and the time.

Distance/time = speed.

brainsnova
10-08-08, 01:32 AM
how many flashes as 1 means trigger by opossite direction and if it was two do the above

stevenf
10-08-08, 01:35 AM
they can flash twice from the opposite direction as well

dannyb
10-08-08, 02:10 AM
The car is an entirely standard Audi 80 with the tyre size recommended in the handbook (195 65 15) I know the speedometer isn't out as I drove through the camera at a steady 30 the other week without a flash.

Its the camera as you leave Brighton on the A23 just after the viaducts Loggyboy, but I know the one you mean!

I always assumed that 2 flashes meant it had film and 1 flash meant it was out of film..?

Thank you for the quick replies people, much appreciated

GTE999
10-08-08, 02:32 AM
If you were honestly below 30mph then the camera is only re callibrating itself as it does this every so often. if you want to pm me ill explain in full!

Nobby
10-08-08, 07:37 AM
busted!!:D

Jack
10-08-08, 09:25 AM
how many flashes as 1 means trigger by opossite direction and if it was two do the above
lmfao what? A gatso is a pretty simple machine - if its radar (or piezo road strips) detects an object travelling over the speed limit, it takes two pictures.

If you're confident you were going under 30mph then don't worry about it. Could have been the guy in the other direction that set it off - they're not supposed to flash at oncoming traffic but they do (I had one flash in my face once when doing 50 in a 30 zone - before you rant, there was no signage - and heard nothing of it).

Its said that a Gatso which flashes in your face is a fake one - apparently, real ones have an impeder which stops them from taking pics of oncoming traffic to save film; ones with no film in don't have this.

Rich
10-08-08, 08:08 PM
2 of my mates have been done by a speed camera facing the opposite way, there are lines on both sides of the road though so they can get you from the front as well.

Mike
10-08-08, 08:11 PM

FAIL lol

Lee
10-08-08, 08:55 PM
2 of my mates have been done by a speed camera facing the opposite way, there are lines on both sides of the road though so they can get you from the front as well.

If they were done from the front, they were Truveo cameras, not Gatso's. A gatso cannot get you from the front.

L14MNP
10-08-08, 09:25 PM
I've been flashed by a Gatso from the front before, as said they CAN'T do you. Only the IR Truvelo cams can take pics of you legally from the front.
I think I read that their radar works in both directions so can be triggered by oncomming traffic. Nothing will come of it as said.

Jack
10-08-08, 10:55 PM
Truvelo, not Gatso.

Gatso will NOT nick oncoming traffic - you could (successfully) argue in court that the flash blinded you and could have caused an accident. Also, I believe they aren't type approved for oncoming traffic, for that same reason. Much like SPECS being single lane only lol

Lee
10-08-08, 11:17 PM
Truvelo, not Gatso.

Gatso will NOT nick oncoming traffic - you could (successfully) argue in court that the flash blinded you and could have caused an accident. Also, I believe they aren't type approved for oncoming traffic, for that same reason. Much like SPECS being single lane only lol

SPECS are crafty though. You never know what configuration the cameras are recording you on. In a row of 5, it may be the second and fourth, or the 1st and third, or any combination, so lane swapping is a lottery lol

ade
10-08-08, 11:18 PM
I thought Gatso's were digital not film?

Seems mental in this day and age some bloke going round loading gatso's with film and then sending them off to some lab to get the processed - maybe they use boots or jesspos!

lol

You'd think digital'd be the way to go - send the image wirelessly to some central computer and you;d get a letter the next day.

Lee
10-08-08, 11:19 PM
Thats what Truvelo's do :( Ive been done by one. And i dont care what anyone says, in the dark, the buggers flash!!

lee 16v
11-08-08, 12:09 AM
burn it, thats what i did. it only cost me just under £2000 lol
if you was doing 30 i wouldnt worry, i seen busses stuck in traffic set these off.

belly257
11-08-08, 12:27 AM
ive been through the speed camra near me at 25 and it goes off sometimes, think they test them or something

dannyb
11-08-08, 01:59 AM
Thank you again for the further replies, I won't worry about ti too much and know that I am able to write back to who ever it is if anything comes of it. I'll let you lot know what happens too in case you're ever in my situation.

1.6 8v turbo nova
11-08-08, 02:05 AM
Can tell which ones have the film in them too, little shiny disk in the small box. normal cameras cant get you when your oncoming. When my dad was around.. used to go through them at 100++.. bikes have no front mounted reg plate :).

Jack
11-08-08, 12:22 PM
There is no way, externally, to tell if a Gatso camera is "live" or not.

I thought Gatso's were digital not film?

Seems mental in this day and age some bloke going round loading gatso's with film and then sending them off to some lab to get the processed - maybe they use boots or jesspos!
The latest Gatsos ARE digital - they're easy to spot as they're smaller boxes in a different shape.

Old (film):
http://www.cambs.police.uk/camops/safetycameras/information/images/gatso.jpg

New (digital):
http://www.clearlicence.co.uk/images/redspeed_bristol1.jpg

I seem to recall there being questions about how easy it is to manipulate digital images, hence why the digital ones were never used - obviously they've come up with reasonable answers and methods against tampering I assume.

mowgli
11-08-08, 08:27 PM
There is no way, externally, to tell if a Gatso camera is "live" or not

as you look at an old gatso head on, if the windows look very dark, the mechanism is not in. on the A45 in coventry, they have tons of boxes, but they aren't always loaded. I spent a few weeks delivering stone to a job near there, & after the first run I knew which ones were loaded. I used to fly past them in my scania & I never ever saw anyone loading one with film, or doing any form of maintenance.

http://www.cambs.police.uk/camops/safetycameras/information/images/gatso.jpg

1.6 8v turbo nova
13-08-08, 12:19 PM
[quote=mowgli]as you look at an old gatso head on, if the windows look very dark, the mechanism is not in.
:thumb:

that is what i meant :)

Lee
13-08-08, 12:23 PM
Yep, the internals are the expensive bit. if the borough has 150 cameras, I would bet my bottom dollar that they only have 50 odd mechanisms that they rotate.

Smurf-Xx
13-08-08, 12:51 PM
I think there all pointless. yes they catch few people out...

But the way they sign post them and make them so obvious people slow down only for 1 minute then cain off again!!

Lee
13-08-08, 09:09 PM
I think there all pointless. yes they catch few people out...

But the way they sign post them and make them so obvious people slow down only for 1 minute then cain off again!!

I think in certain areas they are a very good idea, such as past schools, in heavily built up areas where children might be playing etc. Its the places where you are genuinely notcreating any more danger my going 10mph over the limit, especially where the speed limit is ridiculous as well.

Theres two roads in Newbury that I use to make this point. One is a 30 limit, and one is a 40 limit. Both have cameras, but one of the roads has NO side turnings, about 3 houses, and the road is wide enough for two cars side by side in each lane. Its that one thats the 30 limit! Ridiculous!

Mike
13-08-08, 10:21 PM
used to go through them at 100++.. bikes have no front mounted reg plate :).

Dude, ive done it plenty of times in a car, although not quite that fast! I have one around 1000yds up the road from where i sit typing this and have done it at a tremedous speed on a bike & in a car. It flashes every time yet i never get anything back.