PDA

View Full Version : X16XE not running right

BIGS
09-08-08, 09:46 PM
Ive had a dianostics done today and they said no sensors came up so might be something to do with fueling. Anyone with idea's? The problem with it is always cutting out and will not rev all the time and splutters. and when i do finally get it running for the few moment when it wants to i have to keep it over 4 rpm or more to keep it running. if i dont do this it will cut out and when i try and start it again it wont for ages then when it turns over sometimes it will rev fine then others times feel like no fuel is getting to it and splutters and will not rev at all. I dont know if this could be a problem with spark plugs or just fueling.

steve rdf
10-08-08, 08:19 AM
has your car got a cat this could of broken up inside and be partially blocking the exhaust. i found this problem on a customers alfa at work looked like a piece of rock was wedged in middle section his car was gutless and would just cut out and not restart

Adam*D
10-08-08, 11:11 AM
Sounds like fueling, have you had the plugs out and checked them?, has it been running ok and this problem just started?.

Mikey_J
10-08-08, 07:03 PM
Does it burn any oil at all? Id imagine it does because they all do at some point... I had the same problem on the last car i had except it was a x14xe but they basically are the same... Id place my money on the EGR valve being stuck/seized!

Try blanking it off if it hasnt been already?

BIGS
10-08-08, 07:57 PM
Sounds like fueling, have you had the plugs out and checked them?, has it been running ok and this problem just started?.

I did check them awhile ago. they were black but no oil on them so just gave them a clean and put them back in. do you think i should buy a new set? and it has been running right it started the day on the way to pvs and has since got much worst

BIGS
10-08-08, 07:59 PM
Does it burn any oil at all? Id imagine it does because they all do at some point... I had the same problem on the last car i had except it was a x14xe but they basically are the same... Id place my money on the EGR valve being stuck/seized!

Try blanking it off if it hasnt been already?

yea it does quite alot tbh and smokes very bad but put this down to stem seals? so you think i should try the EGR valve then?

BIGS
10-08-08, 08:01 PM
has your car got a cat this could of broken up inside and be partially blocking the exhaust. i found this problem on a customers alfa at work looked like a piece of rock was wedged in middle section his car was gutless and would just cut out and not restart

it a 1988 car so dont need a cat

Adam
10-08-08, 08:16 PM
Got a mpi pump fitted i take it?

BIGS
10-08-08, 08:17 PM
yea and also a astra gte pump after the tank

Adam
10-08-08, 08:26 PM
Hmm, check the crank sensor plug, does the rev counter needle shake/jump about when it starts hesistating?

Maybe the dispak failing too

BIGS
10-08-08, 08:32 PM
yea the needle goes up and down, dont think its a sensor or it would of shown up on the dianostics wouldnt it?

Adam
10-08-08, 09:52 PM
Not neccessarily, you have to have a constant fault for 30seconds for it to log the fault.

BIGS
10-08-08, 10:02 PM
Not neccessarily, you have to have a constant fault for 30seconds for it to log the fault.

Ah right i see. well i know someone that has one for sale so ill see what that does. but ill change the plugs tomorrow aswell. hopefully that would be it

Mikey_J
11-08-08, 06:59 PM
If its burning oil then id say its the egr valve... Take it off and have a look... can't do any harm can it. When the egr had gone on my car it would either idle fine or not at all. Would have to rev the hell out of it to get it to run or it would just die completely lol

Adam*D
11-08-08, 11:35 PM
If its burning oil then id say its the egr valve... Take it off and have a look... can't do any harm can it. When the egr had gone on my car it would either idle fine or not at all. Would have to rev the hell out of it to get it to run or it would just die completely lol

Oh sh1t!, I've just pulled the 1.6 16v engine out of my nova for these exact symtoms:eek: . I thought it was piston rings:eek: :eek: :eek: :cry: :cry:

Adam
12-08-08, 04:33 PM
You wont get blue smoke with a dodgy egr valve, it doesn't have anything to do with the oil system

Mikey_J
12-08-08, 07:20 PM
You wont get blue smoke with a dodgy egr valve, it doesn't have anything to do with the oil system

Correct! You get the smoke because its burning oil. Where does the smoke come from? the exhaust. What goes through the egr valve? burnt exhaust gases.. Sorry if that sounds sarcastic lol only way i could think to word it

The oil and crap that goes through the exhaust is what causes the egr to stick or seize or however you want to put it. The only reason i know this is because its happened to me and a load of my m8s lol

It wont always throw a fault code up either... at least it didnt on mine

craig green
12-08-08, 09:58 PM
BIGS, is your engine & the installation still the most horrendous load of wires & no airfilter etc that I saw in the services when these problems began?

No air filter wont help your case at all & may point at a ruined inlet sensor or gunged up whatever.

Post up some pics so we can look & see. New plugs need to be gapped, if the old ones were sooty it points at overfuelling, so its likely the plugs could be fecked & again is likely a symptom of no filter.

BIGS
12-08-08, 10:41 PM
Yea its still the same with the wires havent managed to sort it yet, well not untill i get the car running right. well ive put a filter on there now well bodged but it works is the main thing and ive done the plug today and still no change. but ill take a few pics tomorrow of the plugs and a few of the bay and see what you lot reakon from that.

I think the next step is changing the dispack and blanking the egr valve.

meritlover
12-08-08, 11:47 PM
PM sent ;)

BIGS
14-08-08, 03:13 PM
well here are the pics Craig. yes i know it looks a mess :(

dont think this pic is of any use tbh
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff314/b17ova/the%20saloon/dansnewpics075.jpg

or this one
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff314/b17ova/the%20saloon/dansnewpics076.jpg

the wires on the inlet are earths. dont know if they are in a good enough place?
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff314/b17ova/the%20saloon/dansnewpics077.jpg

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff314/b17ova/the%20saloon/dansnewpics078.jpg

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff314/b17ova/the%20saloon/dansnewpics079.jpg

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff314/b17ova/the%20saloon/dansnewpics080.jpg

Adam
14-08-08, 03:28 PM
Correct! You get the smoke because its burning oil. Where does the smoke come from? the exhaust. What goes through the egr valve? burnt exhaust gases.. Sorry if that sounds sarcastic lol only way i could think to word it

The oil and crap that goes through the exhaust is what causes the egr to stick or seize or however you want to put it. The only reason i know this is because its happened to me and a load of my m8s lol

It wont always throw a fault code up either... at least it didnt on mine
Never thought of that mate lol
Very possible indeed :)

Bigs-Those earths look dodgy as fook lol

BIGS
14-08-08, 03:46 PM
ah where would you recomend to put them?

Adam
14-08-08, 03:51 PM
They are fine where they are. I was just referring to the wires themselves (cut/chopped/bare etc)
If you get me.

Also, plug the egr in...

BIGS
14-08-08, 04:00 PM
ah yea i get you now.

well ive had the egr valve pluged in and made no diffence so im going to blank it off and see what that does. but i doubt it will do anything

Riggy
14-08-08, 04:00 PM
what tank and pump set up do you have as cant understand from your reply to ad , you got 2 pumps or just the 1 lol

also coolent temp sensor ?

BIGS
14-08-08, 04:04 PM
ive got a gte tank with a internal and a astra gte pump on right after the tank

so two, and where is the coolent temp sensor. would that make it run bad if it wasnt working right?

craig green
14-08-08, 05:08 PM
and where is the coolent temp sensor. would that make it run bad if it wasnt working right?

Blue, 2 pin sensor in the 'stat housing. Renew it as a matter ofcourse. About £7-8 from a factors.

BIGS
14-08-08, 05:11 PM
ah right cheers ill get that 2moro then

ck
21-08-08, 05:27 PM
there is nothing wrong with the wiring at all, all it needs is wraping in tape/loom wrap. the earths were a temperay bodge to make sure the engine is earthed properly since we did nto have any terminals to make up proper earth leads.

the egr valve is dead but its not that, hence why i havew disconected it.

the problem is related to the oil pump.
how you may wonder?

whoever owned the corsa previously (which the engine came from) had a cambelt kit fitted. and which ever cowboy done it stripped the thread in the oil pump for the cam belt tensioner.

due to the this camblet tension has gone slack and both inlet and exhaust pulleys have slipped a couple of teeth. this will make it run ****e and throw the cam sensor out of phase hence putting it into limp mode.

you know the oil pump needs changing. as i showed u a couple weeks ago.

we'll get the bugger done soon hey
my laptop is dead and so is my phone hence y i havent been able to get that oil pump n come sort it out for u.

im back on my o2 number mate anyway..

ck
21-08-08, 05:28 PM
forget about the coolant temp sensor for the time being, that will not make that much diffarence. do not buy an auto factor one, make sure you buy a new genuine one from vauxhall (£9.50 + vat so about £12 all in)

BIGS
21-08-08, 05:36 PM
Chris ive done the oil pump well over a month ago. and ive spent over £300 on bits and mechanic's to try and get it sorted ands have no luck so ive have up on it. im not spending another penny on it

Adam*D
21-08-08, 07:50 PM
If you need any bits for an X16XE I have a full engine for spares- everything cheap!

Adam*D
21-08-08, 07:52 PM
http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u324/adam_den/DSCF2747.jpg

BIGS
15-09-08, 11:22 AM
Right i still havent sorted this yet and its really pi**ing me off now :mad:, Ive spent far to much on it with parts and getting people to come and look at it. Now would the next step be to strip it all down to a bare block and refit everything again checking everything :confused:

ck
15-09-08, 11:34 AM
if u've had it all done and its not working then why get people around that dont have a clue what there doing? ive text you a couple times since changing back to my new number and not heard back from you

BIGS
15-09-08, 11:48 AM
if u've had it all done and its not working then why get people around that dont have a clue what there doing? ive text you a couple times since changing back to my new number and not heard back from you

huh ive txted you quite a few times:confused:

it does end in 835 dont it

And everyone that came out said they new what was wrong so of course im going to get them to look at it

ck
15-09-08, 11:55 AM
no, back on my original number with 370 on the end, i text u forst of all the day i changed back.

fair enough if they say they know what there doin but when it hasnt worked how has it cost u money cuz no1 would be entitled to be paid anything if they said they'll fix it and havent.

what exactly have you changed then so far?

BIGS
15-09-08, 12:01 PM
oh i havent even got any number with that all i have is 835

And ive changed
crank sensor
cam sensor
egr
blanked the egr off
plugs
leads
dis pack
earths as they got worn out and broke
think thats it

Southie
15-09-08, 12:08 PM
Have you got a speed sensor in the gearbox as if you don't they tend to cut out when the clutch is pressed.

BIGS
15-09-08, 12:14 PM
Have you got a speed sensor in the gearbox as if you don't they tend to cut out when the clutch is pressed.

Dont think so but mine cuts out if the clutch isnt pressed. but now it dont even start

Southie
15-09-08, 12:19 PM
Basically without one the engine management doesn't know the correct idle speed. You can usually get one from a digital dash. If I remember correctly it has a green, black and a blue/red wires. The blue/red wire will connect to the immobiliser which also connects from the main 9 pins you will have already connected. Could be worth a try? :thumb:

BIGS
15-09-08, 12:25 PM
hmm well if it do need one it must have it then as it has been running before with no problems at all.

Southie
15-09-08, 12:32 PM
How long was it running okay before it started running badly. Did you change anything beforehand?

BIGS
15-09-08, 12:35 PM
it was running for about 2 months or so. and didnt change a thing, it started on the way up to pvs and just got worst from then on

Southie
15-09-08, 12:41 PM
mmm not sure really then:( Did you try new plugs? It could still be something to do with the fuelling thou!
Sorry I ain't much help.

BIGS
15-09-08, 12:43 PM
yea ive put new plugs in aswell. i think i might just put the bodies on and have done with it and get rid of a load of rubbish.

And cheers for trying to help very grateful

ck
15-09-08, 12:44 PM
speed sensor is fitted. so you have changed most things. cambelt adjusted correctly? and are you sure of this beause it was 100% out by a few teeth when i checked.

ill grab a fuel rail with reg on to try as the reg could have fudged.

hmm, im back on 07729465370

ck
15-09-08, 12:45 PM
another thing, has anyone wired the management light in yet? gotto go through the loom check its all in order (was when i checked last time but that was a while ago) a wire could have snagged or earthed out.

Southie
15-09-08, 12:48 PM
No probs. Hope I don't get anymore with my ongoing c16xe conversion cause I've come to the end of my tether with wiring and looms, fueling and management.

BIGS
15-09-08, 12:49 PM
na i told them not to touch the wiring. and they guy that fitted the oil pump done the belt to what you left it as.

ok ill save that number and delete the other one now?

BIGS
15-09-08, 12:51 PM
No probs. Hope I don't get anymore with my ongoing c16xe conversion cause I've come to the end of my tether with wiring and looms, fueling and management.

Well dont give up because when they are running right its so much fun and the sound is amazing :D.

they are a pain to get right tho. im lucky that ck done all mine so now there was no problems with the wiring it in.

Southie
15-09-08, 12:55 PM
Well dont give up because when they are running right its so much fun and the sound is amazing :D.

they are a pain to get right tho. im lucky that ck done all mine so now there was no problems with the wiring it in.

I'm just waiting for a new loom and ecu at the mo as I had a x16 setup and earthed out the ecu lol I still might put my old bike carbs on from my old sr yet!

BIGS
15-09-08, 01:00 PM
I'm just waiting for a new loom and ecu at the mo as I had a x16 setup and earthed out the ecu lol I still might put my old bike carbs on from my old sr yet!

go on put the carbs on you know you want to :thumb:

ah well hope you get the new loom soon then and get it up and running

Southie
15-09-08, 01:05 PM
go on put the carbs on you know you want to :thumb:

ah well hope you get the new loom soon then and get it up and running

Really really want to lol Just saving the cash for the management at the mo (and wasting cash on standard looms) they sounded quality on the old 8valve.

Hope you get yours running as it sounds a right pain it the ass:mad:

ck
15-09-08, 01:08 PM
just one of those things hey lol. i will deffinatly pop down one day this week, pull the loom out, check it over properly, wire in the management light and put another fuel rail and regulator on. see what happens then. at least the diagnostics should then give us an idea if its still being a tw@t lol

BIGS
15-09-08, 01:08 PM
yea cheers i hope so. want to get it running right then think about putting the bodies on at some point

well you should get a project tread up if your doing a few bits to it!

BIGS
15-09-08, 01:10 PM
just one of those things hey lol. i will deffinatly pop down one day this week, pull the loom out, check it over properly, wire in the management light and put another fuel rail and regulator on. see what happens then. at least the diagnostics should then give us an idea if its still being a tw@t lol

Yea be great if you could, but dont think anything would come up on a diagnostics as ive took it down aj's to have that done and came up with nothing!

Southie
15-09-08, 01:12 PM
well you should get a project tread up if your doing a few bits to it![/quote]

I will be putting pics up shortly as I have only just joined up. Needing 10 post for external pic links :mad:

Not long thou :thumb:

BIGS
15-09-08, 01:13 PM
get posting then :p

Southie
15-09-08, 01:15 PM
get posting then :p

:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p 10 wooolol

BIGS
15-09-08, 01:19 PM
oh ive forgot to say welcome to the club

WELCOME lol

Southie
15-09-08, 01:31 PM
oh ive forgot to say welcome to the club

WELCOME lol

cheers:D

ck
15-09-08, 01:45 PM
aj's is the last place you want to take it, i could say the same with ap's lol. and thats bull**** lol, came up with several codes before. and the diagnostis wiring is behind the clocks, did he take them out to get to the wires to do a diagnostics did he?

do a compression test aswell, ill bring my tester done to hopefully confirm we have compresssion on each cylinder.

Ernie
15-09-08, 01:53 PM
fit a big block as they fix them self unless lee has anything to do with it lol.

BIGS
15-09-08, 01:57 PM
fit a big block as they fix them self unless lee has anything to do with it lol.

already doing one bigblock dont want two

and thought lee was good at putting them in, just the linkages he brakes :p

BIGS
15-09-08, 01:58 PM
aj's is the last place you want to take it, i could say the same with ap's lol. and thats bull**** lol, came up with several codes before. and the diagnostis wiring is behind the clocks, did he take them out to get to the wires to do a diagnostics did he?

do a compression test aswell, ill bring my tester done to hopefully confirm we have compresssion on each cylinder.

but would it of changed since we done it last time, not like ive drove it anywhere since.

umm tbh i dont know what he did. i know he said he had it on the rollers. but i dont think he cares he just wanted his money

BIGS
06-10-08, 01:16 PM
well i thought id let you know ive got it running now, and all it was is the map sensor connector :mad:. Because it hasnt got a rubber bit to keep it connected it kept losing a signal. and we think because of this it shorted out the ecu aswell. thats why it would start at all after a while. well got a new ecu thanks to ck and just have to get a rubber bit for the connctor now.

And a big thanks to everyone that helped out and to ck for coming down to help me fix it :thumb:

craig green
06-10-08, 04:17 PM
Same prob as what Adam had with his & its misfire.

I know a few people that have had issues with 8v SRi MPi engines & its been map sensors.

BIGS
06-10-08, 04:26 PM
ahright sounds a commen problem then, well atleast it gave me time/or shall i say chris to tidy that loom. looks much better now. and about half the loom gone with that blue conector.

Adam
06-10-08, 05:05 PM
Looking at your problem again, its exactly what mine was doing the other day(my map sensor plug was loose and kept disconnecting when i cornered/hit a bump, so kept get big misfires/popping/splutters)
So aye, i would of suggested map sensor if i had know how much of a problem they can cause if the ecu gets a dodgy signal from them.

Glad its sorted.

BIGS
06-10-08, 05:26 PM
yea i never knew that would cause it, but its on the road again so here i come combe :)

Southie
07-10-08, 08:00 AM
Looking at your problem again, its exactly what mine was doing the other day(my map sensor plug was loose and kept disconnecting when i cornered/hit a bump, so kept get big misfires/popping/splutters)
So aye, i would of suggested map sensor if i had know how much of a problem they can cause if the ecu gets a dodgy signal from them.

Glad its sorted.
Quick question (s) Adam/Bigs. Does the c16xe have a map sensor on the loom or is it just on the x16xe. If its on the C16 where is it as I think it would be worth my while checking mine.

ck
07-10-08, 04:48 PM
lol, c16xe has airflow meter and x16xe has map, normaly one or the other on a N/A engine.

oh the MAP sensor was causing the missfire / splutter it wasnt what caused it to completely stop working tho. most likely due to the ecu being left on the floor to be thrown around..

just to confirm the ecu itself died stopped it working at all, and the map sensor connector was all that was making it run dodgy