PDA

View Full Version : head swap

Aragorn
07-10-02, 11:03 PM
ok im gonna strip down and rebuild this C14NZ i have here

when i take the head off

can i check the piston rings n shit?

also if i have the head of would it be worth getting the head from a 1.3?

what kinda problems COULD i face with the 1.3 head - ie valve stems/seals ?!?!

would it need skimmed for the new engine?

anything else i should make a point of checking while i have it in bits?

mmollart
07-10-02, 11:54 PM
if you do go for the 1.3sr head, look on ebay. i saw 1 on there last night, polished/ported with new valves/seals for a tenner + p&p

Dicko
08-10-02, 12:04 PM
wot is the c14nz engine? is it the single point injection?

you cannot fit a different head if u have the inujection engine, its completely different compression ratio and the ports r a different shape

Aragorn
08-10-02, 08:06 PM
its a single point injection and as far as i was aware was identical to the 1.4SR engine but with the single point injectors and manifold on it

i never pointed this out - but im changing to a weber 32/34 when im doin the engine up and im getting the original 1.3SR manifold for exhaust

so it will all fit :)

whats this about compression ratio tho?

Manta Mad
08-10-02, 09:51 PM
Thats what mine is (single point injection) was wondering if the SR uses a different ECU to mine and do you know if it uses a different fuel pump - mine is the pump mounted in the tank type - I know some had an external pump - sounds quite a simple conversion to get more power but might have hidden problems.

Aragorn
09-10-02, 09:19 AM
the sr doesnt use an ECU - it runs on a carburettor

if u are using a carb with the spi fuel system u need a regulator

Anonymous
09-10-02, 09:49 AM
Its easier to check the piston rings with the head on, force compressed air into the chamber (with a leak down tester or similar) and listen for air coming out of the dipstick or filler cap.
Failing that a simple compression test can reveal a lot.

Final test (with head off) is to cover the pistons with half an inch of a thin oil and see if it soaks past the rings quickly.

Chip

Manta Mad
09-10-02, 04:48 PM
It was more the SRi with muiltpoint injection I was referring to, wondered if it used the same ECU as a single point injection (Mk2 Nova 1991 on)

Aragorn
09-10-02, 09:03 PM
yeh it does
the spi uses some cack vaux thing

the multipoint uses a bosch jet-tronic or summat similar

the SRi is basically a GSi with smaller bore and stroke so it uses the same injection system