PDA

View Full Version : Why Does My Engine Get So Hot?

NovaBoi92
09-08-08, 12:19 PM
after about 5-10minutes of running the engine gets so hot, u put ur hand on bonnet and it burns u. i dont know y, any ideas anyone?

Welsh Dan
09-08-08, 12:30 PM
Is the coolant topped up? If not, wait for the engine to cool before you put any in, otherwise you could cause various parts to crack.

If it is topped up with coolant, drain it out, flush the whole system and replace the waterpump, before filling with fresh coolant.

Andy
09-08-08, 12:33 PM
Check the oil level sounds like that could be very low or old and watery

mikey14sr
09-08-08, 01:03 PM
The bonnet will get hot, after-all, there's an exhaust manifold under it that'll be running at a few hundred degrees! I used to drive an astra that when it rained, as soon as it hit the bonnet it turned to steam!

Is the coolant temp normal?

NovaBoi92
09-08-08, 01:21 PM
the dials say temp is normal. its got new oil in and everything, topped up with water

Adam
09-08-08, 01:26 PM
Theres nothing wrong with it then.
The bonnet will get hot if the cars left sitting, with the engine running, seeing as things like the exhaust manifold etc do tend to get a tad warm ;)

Welsh Dan
09-08-08, 01:32 PM
If you're still convinced its too hot:

Flush the coolant system out, making sure to remove the radiator and run the hose pipe through it in both directions, its worth replacing the thermostat seeing as they're only a few quid. If that doesnt fix it then change the cambelt and water pump.

Will F
09-08-08, 03:11 PM
If you're still convinced its too hot:

Flush the coolant system out, making sure to remove the radiator and run the hose pipe through it in both directions, its worth replacing the thermostat seeing as they're only a few quid. If that doesnt fix it then change the cambelt and water pump.

lol
What a waste of time. If the gauge is reading Norm - forget about it.

Simon 1867
10-08-08, 10:43 PM
I have had the same problem... check your thermostat and fan are working correctly as these should kick in when the engine gets to hot.

Just run the car with bonnet up and watch to see when they kick in, check your temp gauge at same time.(make sure your levels are right too before you do this)

Jack
10-08-08, 11:08 PM
Mmm, we're assuming the gauge is reading right here.

My gt4 bonnet gets too hot to touch after a bit of hard driving lol - I wouldn't assume a 1.4SR engine (judging by username) to get so hot it burns the bonnet...

GTE999
10-08-08, 11:43 PM
The bonnet will get hot, after-all, there's an exhaust manifold under it that'll be running at a few hundred degrees! I used to drive an astra that when it rained, as soon as it hit the bonnet it turned to steam!

Is the coolant temp normal?

Agreed, i had the same issue with a few cars!

brainsnova
10-08-08, 11:46 PM
just keep your hands on the steering wheel and alls fine :D