PDA

View Full Version : Mating GTE/GSI back box to 1200 system?

matt_vaughan
08-08-08, 08:40 PM
I'm sure it's probably been asked before, but the search funtion doesn't really narrow anything down when the key words are exhaust and GTE lol

Anyways, just wanted to know if its a lot of trouble to mate a GTE/GSI sized backbox (backbox inlet pipe) to a standard 1200 system.

How about cutting a slice out and nipping it up, much like they are fit on as standard?

Steve
09-08-08, 01:15 AM
That would probaly work ok, although I think the gte/gsi back boxes are a slightly larger diameter than the 1200 system so it should fit over it ok.

mowgli
09-08-08, 09:05 AM
they are the same size. my car has a gte system & at the moment there is a 1.0/1.2/1.3 backbox on it.

matt_vaughan
09-08-08, 10:13 AM
Really?

I thought GTE and GSI systems were slightly different diametre

mowgli
09-08-08, 10:46 AM
no, they all use 2" clamps... I only fitted the std box because I was experimenting with the 'bog standard' look. the back box even sits straight.

all of the flow restriction in a std system is where the 2 downpipes join together. 25 years ago, before performance exhausts were easily available, it was a standard mod to cut the joint open & tidy up the insides.

matt_vaughan
09-08-08, 05:36 PM
Thats good news

matt_vaughan
10-08-08, 11:45 AM
25 years ago, before performance exhausts were easily available, it was a standard mod to cut the joint open & tidy up the insides.

Anyone any ideas on this and wether it's work doing?

Dont want to buy a 4 branch yet, but this could be a half way house for the moment?