PDA

View Full Version : re-boreing

white2lSR
08-08-08, 05:25 PM
just wondering if anyone had had their block re-bored. The reason i ask is that im planning on rebuilding a spare XE i have and im just wondering about cost????

the engine i have in now is just temp while i rebuild this one. Im looking to build a good strong engine that i will run on throttle bodies.
i may also get some forged pistons which will give me more scope for cams. this also depends on cost.

i intend to put this engine into a kit car if the worst ever happened to my nova :cry: so i will get the use out of it in the long run :thumb:

tom_beverley
08-08-08, 05:30 PM
Varies place to place but typically around the £80 mark including a hone. Normally about a 1mm overbore is considered a 'safe' limit but some people have gone further.

Ring round a few local engineering firms.

white2lSR
08-08-08, 05:33 PM
how much do standard and forged pistons cost??

apart from the pockets what is the advantage of forged pistons? its an area ive not really looked into.

Paul
08-08-08, 05:53 PM
you cant run standard pistons unless you find a block with next to no wear. its the top 5mm of the bore where you will notice the wear. (If you dont know its the lip on the top of the bore where the rings dont reach. If there is no lip then you do not necessarily need to rebore it. Depending on how bad the block is, depends on what size to overbore to really, 86.5mm is the common one, followed by 87mm obvisouly.

There are some forged pistons as standard in early engines I think if your block is ok. (But the chances of that are slim). As said, a bore is usually aroun £20-25 per cylinder. Forged pistons are around the £400-500 mark new. Avoid Wossenor as they are softer than the others, a Mahle/JP/Omega piston is quite a good common choice.

Forged pistons are basically stronger thqan standard.

Hope that is of some help.

Paul

white2lSR
08-08-08, 05:56 PM
you cant run standard pistons unless you find a block with next to no wear. its the top 5mm of the bore where you will notice the wear. (If you dont know its the lip on the top of the bore where the rings dont reach. If there is no lip then you do not necessarily need to rebore it. Depending on how bad the block is, depends on what size to overbore to really, 86.5mm is the common one, followed by 87mm obvisouly.

There are some forged pistons as standard in early engines I think if your block is ok. (But the chances of that are slim). As said, a bore is usually aroun £20-25 per cylinder. Forged pistons are around the £400-500 mark new. Avoid Wossenor as they are softer than the others, a Mahle/JP/Omega piston is quite a good common choice.

Forged pistons are basically stronger thqan standard.

Hope that is of some help.Paul

My block does need re-boring, it has a hell of a lip.

im in no hurry so i think ill wait and see if some 2nd hand forged pistons turn up, i have seen the odd set.

white2lSR
08-08-08, 06:23 PM
2.0L BOTTOM END PARTS
PIST-OM86.00ECN £420.00
PIST-OM86.05XS £406.40
PIST-OM86.25XS £406.40
PIST-OM86.50XS £406.40
PIST-OM87.00XS £406.40
PIST-OM87.00SLS £588.80
PIST-OM87.50XS £406.40
PIST-OM88.00SLS £588.80
PIST-OM88.00XS £406.40
PIST-OM87.00-TURB £406.40

The above is what SBD list, are these forged ones? presumably OM meaning OMEGA?????