PDA

View Full Version : Chemical shell stripping

garethcolley
07-08-08, 05:03 PM
Whats the best way of stripping a shell back to bare metal? heard acid dipping causes loads of pin holes, shot blasting warps panels, plastic media blasting doesnt remove rust, burn off stripping in an oven can warp panels and not remove rust. What have people done? I want a cheapish way to get a rust free shell then spray it in a phosphate coating before paint.

craig green
07-08-08, 05:09 PM
There is no 'cheap' way i wouldnt imagine.

www.surfaceprocessing.co.uk (http://www.surfaceprocessing.co.uk) IIRC is where Keith had his done, they acid dip & can E-coat if you want it done.

I dont see why you can't shot blast it. Its only heavy handed, unsympathetic hoons that would blast the feck out of something to the point of bending panels, though the clean up afterwards would take all year.

I say find a rot free mk1 shell, strip it & set about adding seam sealer & underseal to it & preserve something that is already rot free.

Welsh Dan
07-08-08, 05:10 PM
For cheap I'd go with an angle grinder and a flapdisc.

For a 'proper' job I'd say the only way is to have it dipped like Keith Robinson did.

garethcolley
07-08-08, 05:29 PM
What did Keith say about the quality he got? Any good? I have spoken to them already, they say i can book in for January if i want it doing, costs around 1500 quid.