PDA

View Full Version : Buying a nova - things to look for?

bfuller
07-10-02, 03:34 PM
im looking at buying a certain nova up the road from me, its a e reg 1.2 L, after looking at it, theres no rust, engine runs nicely, interior is nice and clean, and its a price i can afford, what else should i look for?

cheers,

The Britney Lover.

giggler
07-10-02, 03:40 PM
Well, when i looked at my nova, the first things i looked for was

Arches
Doors, cos they always seem to rust away!!!
Checked to see what state the oil was in

and basically just took it for a spin to see if it pulled, and if the brakes were ok!!! :D

bfuller
07-10-02, 03:47 PM
on closer inspection, theres a tiny spot of rust of the right rear panel, and a tiny bit on the tailgate, as i was planning on getting both these panels replaced, is that much of a problem?, i had a good look inside the rear arches there was no rust at all.

cheers

giggler
07-10-02, 04:00 PM
well, sounds like a decent enough car!!

When i was buying mine, i got the price down from 1000 to 850 cos the doors inside were rotten and the arches had a few bubbles!!!

If i was you, try and knock him down as much as you can!!

Lucky really cos so far (touch wood) nothing has gone wrong with it, its a good liccle runner!!

Gonna get the doors and arches done in a few weeks when it goes in for a spray!!!

GR
07-10-02, 04:03 PM
LOL, your signature brightens up the board mate, congratulations !

Just look for the normal things - Engine general wear, oil, mileage, usual bits.

Take your time to browse all over it - in detail and make sure its daylight too, as a lot of faults are missed if its not total daylight.

Being a nova, bodywork ; arches, inside boot area, sills all v. important as a lot if dodgy will fail an MOT. Be careful your not buying an MOT failure !

Mr Dan
07-10-02, 09:03 PM
Yeah, definately make a big fuss over any problem no matter how minor to get that price knocked down. If there hasn't been much interest in the motor they're bound to hear you out.

Britney = Good choice sir! :lol:

Alex
07-10-02, 09:39 PM
what they said about the cars. I just wanted to say Britney - oh yes, good choice

carltoncrazy
07-10-02, 10:27 PM
all the above,
also take the rear bumper off,
and if its got sr/gte bumpers pull em off and cheak all those hidden places.
BUT GET THE REAR BUMPER OFFcheck there n poke the holes hard

?Marty?
07-10-02, 11:51 PM
I allways give holes a damn good poking. Sometimes with my fingers, and sometimes with my tool.

Britney sucks! (Christina swallows)

ade
08-10-02, 12:10 AM
look down the side of the car for differences in the paint colour, contour lines - signs of a respray.

Get a magnet and run it over the rear arches - if it wont stick theyve been fillered at some time - check further

Take a look in the engine bay area at the seams - what condition are they in?

If the bottom of the tailgate is slightly rusty then take a look at the inner door edge where the drain holes are - chandces are these will be too - all this needs treating or it will rot. usually a sign that the inner wax protection needs updating (waxoyl will do trick)

Start car and leave to idle for 15 mins - check for blue/white smoke, weird noises in the engine area and any other unusual noises

Ade

How much they looking for?

bfuller
08-10-02, 08:09 PM
thanks for all the advice, i did buy the car in the end, turned out it had only done 30k with a vauxhall history to back it up, first mod was some clear side repeaters, after paying fekking twenty quid for them! (bloody ripspeed), going in next is a tft screen and ps2, as soon as i buy a power inverter.

Britney's Slave.

Aragorn
08-10-02, 08:43 PM
u might be better off buyin/building a DC-DC supply for the TFT and PS2 cos the junk that comes out of the inverter causes all sorts of issues with the sound

i had a full blown PC in the boot running winamp with a few gigs of MP3's and got an annoying ground loop hum as well as a noise that increases in pitch with the engine revs

aint reinstalled the PC yet as im trying to source a DC-DC supply for it

not sure what the PS2 uses for input? mains? if so crack it open and find out what the PSU is outputting into the console

the TFT is prolly 12v but i would reccomend getting a regulator for that too as pluggin it direct into the car might shag it totally