PDA

View Full Version : 1.3 to a 1.3sr ??

lucusade
07-10-02, 10:40 AM
Hello all,

Im after a 1.3sr engine (me orignal 1.2 is near death !!), but i know someone with a 1.3 engine.

Is there anything I can do to convert this mint 1.3 engine into a 1.3 sr engine at a later date (when money is not a problem) ?? or will I limited myself by buying this engine ??

Im stumped !!

Cheers all :)

Dicko
07-10-02, 10:49 AM
the 1.3sr is simply the trim, all 1.3's are the same engine. the only thing u will find diiferent on these cars is things such as suspension/rear spoiler/bumpers/vinal.

the engines are the same!!

mikeoxford
07-10-02, 04:45 PM
only difference they may be is exhaust and/or inlet manifold and maybe the carb i think.

one DEFINITE difference betwwen 1.3 base and the SR model will be the gearbox. the close ratio box will be different from i *think* it is the f10 - the five speed box on the 1.2 and the 1.3

i THINK as fitted to 1.3 and 1.4 sr it is the F13CR gearbox

lucusade
07-10-02, 05:17 PM
but am i right in thinking that the differences between the two car (engine wise) can be resolved later on ??

I can turn a 1.3 into a 1.3 sr later on by changing the manifold, carb etc !! At the moment i have a 4 speed gear box, and im thinking of using that one, rather than pay ?50 for a 5 speed !!

Is that a wise move and is it worth getting this 1.3 ?? I think im gonna have to get it anyway !! The compression in my 1.2 is fu*ked and i think the head gaskets going aswell !!!

Dicko
07-10-02, 05:42 PM
well the early sr's had a different carb, so if u mean u can fit a later model carb then yes, and i presumed you would keep the 1.2 gearbox as this was never mentioned

Aragorn
07-10-02, 09:09 PM
if u look at the exhaust manifold on the 1.3

if it goes from the 4 pipes into 2 then 2 into one further down then u have the SR manifold and more than likely the sr carb - to check the carb remove airbox u should see 2 distinct holes on the top of the carb covered with metal flaps if its the SR carb (it should also have peirburg 2E printed onto the top of it)

i know the 1.3 and 1.4 fitted to astra's was the same SR engine again exclugin the 'box so u should be lucky

Dicko
08-10-02, 12:02 PM
i give up, lol

he said engine, not gearbox/exhaust etc

you guys just being too picky

spanishfly
08-10-02, 06:16 PM
hasn't the 1.4 sr got a different cam ie: the 10 mm lift on both exh and inlet????

Aragorn
08-10-02, 08:16 PM
sorry but the inlet (ie the carb) and exhaust are determining factors between the 1.3 and 1.3SR engines

there are no other differences between the ENGINE

the gearbox is also different and some people would regard this as also important if your wanting to go from 1.3 to 1.3 SR

Manta Mad
08-10-02, 09:44 PM
Just out of interest, I have posted below the specs of the various Nova engines/boxes. Its the SRs final drive ratio thats different to a 'normal' 1.3.
http://www.mantamad.fsnet.co.uk/novaspec.jpg

mikeoxford
08-10-02, 10:46 PM
come on then some1 explain to us what final drive ratio is, what it does, what effect it has and what the difference is for!?!??!

Manta Mad
09-10-02, 04:45 PM
Not 100% on this but I think its the ratio of the final output shaft from the gearbox to the number of turns the driveshaft makes. If I have got this the right way round it means that for (in the case of the SR) for every one revolution of the gearbox output shaft, the final drive turns the driveshafts 4.18 revolutions which is why it goes faster than the 3.94 ratio of the normal SR.

Rear wheel drive and Mantas are more my thing and its easier to think about it with the rear axle (where the final drive is in this case) a 2.0 Manta has a 3.44 final drive, a 1.8 engine has a 3.67 ratio, if you put the 1.8 ratio into the 2.0 it will give you better acceleration.

Would welcome an expert answer as this is only my understanding of it and may not be correct

lucusade
10-10-02, 11:28 AM
New problem is that i want to use my 4 speed gearbox on the 1.3 !! I know it can be done as my mate has a 1.3sr with a 4 speed !!

Its just going to make the process of changing engines a little tricker i would imagine !!

rgv_stu
11-10-02, 02:01 PM
ONLY DIFFERENCE ENGINE WISE IS ............... NOTHING

ON THE 1300 SR THE BOX HAS DIFFERENT FINAL DRIVE - LOWERING ALL GEARS ,GIVES BETTER ACCELERATION

END OF STORY..............

U CAN USE THE 4 SPEED BOX NO - PROBS