PDA

View Full Version : 1.8 or 2.0 8v (carb)

euro-rat
04-08-08, 05:55 PM
hello guys just got my mint 1.2 mk1

been told lots of rumours about how easy a carb'd 2.0 8v will "drop in" and with a crane and limited experience it can be swopped in a day ... is this true??

is there problems with drive shafts mounts?? are there ecu issues....

ive heard loads of peoples differant opions and no one has said the same thing twice...

so i knew i had no option but to ask you guys.... THE EXPERTS!!!

any help would be great....

thnx

Dan

euro-rat
04-08-08, 08:51 PM
no one on PERFORMANCE NOVA! have an idea??

any sort of ideas just to point me in the right direction??

thnx

Dan

General Baxter
04-08-08, 08:55 PM
forget about it

you just wont find one lol

staggy_gsi
04-08-08, 08:55 PM
you'll need conversion engine mounts and modified shafts for a start off mate. never done a conversion myself so have no idea about wiring in etc but if you had all the bits you could easily have the 2.0l in place in a day....

paul james
04-08-08, 08:56 PM
Well since the engine is a carb one there wont be an ECU, and since your MK1 is a carb car too, you don't need to worry about putting an injection fuel tank in. Not sure on the driveshaft aspect though, the injection 2.0 need different ones and engine mounts.

A carbed 2.0 would be a rare thing these days I'm guessing, better to go one of the tried and tested routes - injection 8v/16v 2.0, or a corsa 16v 1.6 which wont need mounts or driveshafts changing, but will need an injection tank.

davehaynes
04-08-08, 08:57 PM
not sure myself. but i think new drive shafts are needed, engine bay needs strengthening and engine mounts are different but can be welded in. and needs stitch welding. ecu and loom from that engine are needed.
as i said this is just from what i have heard. im no expert

Nobby
04-08-08, 09:34 PM
forget about it

you just wont find one lol

:thumb:

Gabbo
04-08-08, 10:21 PM
ive just put a 2.0 8v in mine thats injection not carbed and the ecu more or less runs the engine its self so all you need to do is keep your origonal nova loom and wire it in as it is, ie starter motor wire, alt wire, reverse switch, and so on.
as for shafts and engine mounts they both need changing and i bought the 16v kit off chris astley so it has the engine mounts, bigger shafts to fit 2.0ltr cv joints and then new flanges for the hubs so big cv joints fit on a nova hub.

its quite a bit of work though as i rebuilt the engine so i knew every thing on it was new so it doesnt have to come out again.
it would be easyer to get a whole car though not just the engine so you can take what you want off it and then scrap the rest.

i hope that helps mate :)

Steve
04-08-08, 10:24 PM
Try using the search function, the 2.0 engine conversions have been covered hundreds of times on here.