PDA

View Full Version : How to you replace the rear arches?

NovaBoi92
04-08-08, 09:13 AM
i found new rear arch repair panels on ebay. how would you fit them? and how do u get old 1s out? do they weld on or bolt on or slot on i dont know can anybody help :) ?

paul james
04-08-08, 09:48 AM
They are welded on, so you'll need to cut out the old ones.

nova23
04-08-08, 01:02 PM
Few pics here of when I did one.

http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68619

Rexy
04-08-08, 01:10 PM
you get a big angle grinder and chop the car in half, then you go and find a nova with mint rear arches on a street and do the same. Using bubble gum and some sticky tape carefully stick the back on which you just chopped up and stick it onto your front end.

Jobs done cwooooze the streets with mint rear arches Bo!

For added effect, find a three door saloon and have a mix and match nova :D

nova23
04-08-08, 01:36 PM
you get a big angle grinder and chop the car in half, then you go and find a nova with mint rear arches on a street and do the same. Using bubble gum and some sticky tape carefully stick the back on which you just chopped up and stick it onto your front end.

Jobs done cwooooze the streets with mint rear arches Bo!

For added effect, find a three door saloon and have a mix and match nova :D

Don't use sticky tape need to use gaffer tape, much stronger!

Rexy
04-08-08, 02:41 PM
Lmfbo.... Might as well use sikaflex and gaffer tape then :D

On the other hand... you will need to cut out the old arch and weld in the new panels, grind the tac welds down and filler, then repaint blah blah.

craig green
04-08-08, 02:44 PM
Not sure I have the time now,

But buy rear arch replacement panels. Draw around the rusty area on your car with a permanent marker.
Cut the rust & surrounding good metal away with an angle grinder & cutting disc.

Transfer the area cut onto the replacement panel & add approx 1cm extra to allow for overlap (underlap?). Offer the replacement panel metal into place in the arch & put marks accross when you are happy with its position.

There is a tool known as a 'joggler' which ideally you would use to fold a small step all the way along the edge of the new panel so it can sit behind the edge of the existing panel work, but the surface would sit flush.

When happy with the positioning etc, use a MIG welder to spot weld along the panel joins. Spot at 2" intervals as not to create too much heat, or the panels will distort. Keep spot welding along the panel joins until you have constant spot welds along the whole panel join. Next step is to grind all the spot welds back flat & follow with a skim of filler. The rest comes under paint work tbh.

Dont forget to primer or seam seal the weld from behind, within the rear quarter panel.

Cautionary note. Remove the earth lead from battery whilst cutting/welding the car. Beware of slicing into internal metalwork etc when cutting. Be carefull of metal splinters etc & wear appropriate safety googles & gloves etc.