PDA

View Full Version : -50mm Drop with Factory Shox

cassanova
05-10-02, 06:59 PM
Will this work? -50mm Jamex springs with MK2 SR shox......

Any1 know??

Cheers
Ford

Adam Moran
05-10-02, 07:19 PM
My 1.2i is lowwered 60mm on standerd shocks. The advice that most people have told me is to get uprated shocks because they have the shorter pins in them but...... It's been lowwerd for about 2 months now and apart from the ride being a little "bouncy" it's been fine.

cassanova
05-10-02, 07:29 PM
cheers m8, think i'll give it a go, unfortuantely getin new shox just isnt an option, fucking stupid prices arent they :(

Should be more fun if it bounces anyway :D

Cheers
Ford

snapper
05-10-02, 08:28 PM
yeh, don't worry about the bounciness. i've lowered mine on just springs for the moment, g-max -60mm (according to the part number) and there has been a distinct lack of body roll and pitching when changing gear and under hard braking.

apart from that, still handles like shit. you hit a bump when going fast round a corner, it flings the car on ot the other side of the road!

and i've got some knocking coming from the back so it's new shocks for me soon 8)

Adam Moran
05-10-02, 08:39 PM
Sounds just like my car!! I have some GMAX shocks sat in my garage waiting to be fitted (1 day!!!!)

That knocking noise my friend is you exhaust hitting the spring! Not too dangerous but bloody annoying.

Do you think fitting these GMAX gas shocks will make any difference in the handeling?

AJ

Breeny
05-10-02, 09:07 PM
Will fail MOT and is dangerous because the springs can dislocate off the shocks, especially at the back. I'd advise to buy shortened/uprated shocks asap.

Adam Moran
06-10-02, 12:12 PM
Better get the shocks fitted ASAP then! :?

snapper
06-10-02, 01:18 PM
especially considering i've got my mot next month :|

anyone want to donate to Snapper's Fund for New Shocks??

Anonymous
09-10-02, 09:55 AM
Shocks are generally designed to work with in the region of 100mm of travel.
If you reduce the travel by 60mm you will ahve only 40mm of travel left.
This means the shocks will only work 40% as well.

Simple as that.

The bouncing that you are describing when you hit something mid corner is potentially lethal and is caused by the fact that your car basicalyl doesnt have any significant damping now, the reduced body roll and stiffer springs and loer c of g are all good for increasing the amount of grip, but once you hit something that unsteadies teh car you go from having lots of grip (and hence being able to go at a high speed round a bend) to having no grip, which given that you are already going quick means that you have no chance at all and the car will just fly wildly off the road, its the most common cause of death in badly modified cars.

Chip