PDA

View Full Version : VERY urgent PLEASE help? engine head

mikeoxford
04-10-02, 11:03 PM
hi all

i need to deicde wether to use a 1.3 head or the 1.4

setup will be this,

twin 40s, ast2 kent cam, 1.4sr engine

do i swap the 1.3 head over onto it, or keep the 1.4 ???

which will give better performance, or runability LOL (looking for a better word there!!!!)

will either head increase compression or anything else??

i am planning to do it tomorow :roll: so need you advice quick time!!! :oops:

the 1.3 came off an engine that had the following work done so (which was fully rebuilt 5k ago) so im guessing the head will be good.

Rebored / honed block
replaced piston / main bearings / big end bearings
ground crank
full dynamic engine balance
lightened flywheel

thanks mikey

Chris_W
05-10-02, 12:02 AM
Mike,
Maybe I'm being stupid here, but most of the work you list there is bottom-end work, so surely it would be better just to drop one lump out and put the new lump in complete, as the whole of the 1.3 lump has been setup to work together? :?

HTH

Chris

Dicko
05-10-02, 10:23 AM
the compression ratio will not change a great deal. its the 1.6 head that would reduce it alot.
If you can use that 1.3 bottom end id go with that, if not use the 1.4.

Make sure you use some decent oil in there and plan to get the 40's setup as soom as the work is done. Even plan gettin it towed to have it tuned, they really can be that bad!

mikeoxford
06-10-02, 10:27 PM
hi all.

have planned to go with the 1.4.

as it was i couldnt get the major engine work i wanted done this weekend, will be the comin week hopefully.

however i did manage to get the old twin 40s out to play :lol: :lol:

anyone with any spare cash should DEFINITLEY at least try them! even if theyre not for you - sell em on you wont loose your money!!!

i was VERY fortunate not to have any major problems.

needed a shorter alternator belt, had a few hickups here and there, need some new fuel lines to tidy everywhere up, erm what else......

oh yeah, will get another chrome linkage bracket made up.

was fortunate in a way that once the carbs were on, adjusted the idle speed, they work!

i know thyre not a bolt on mod, and i am getting it setup as soon as the rest of the work is complete - dont want it done twice at twice the price :!: :roll:

anyway

rambling mode off!

cheers
mike