PDA

View Full Version : Suggest a welder?

Leeboo
30-07-08, 02:12 PM
Hi, I am looking into buying a MIG welder. I only need it for odd jobs like exhausts etc, its not for business use.

What is the best on the market at the minute? Are gasless welders crap?

I am not looking to spend too much, but want something half decent if thats possible. Had a look on screwfix, the cheapest Gas Mig seems to be around the 200 mark.

What have you got?

Thanks.

mikey14sr
30-07-08, 03:14 PM
I have a clarke 90EN, which manages to cope with most jobs, and only cost £130 when I bought it. Though in hindsight I do wish I'd got a 151 or 160 (around £200), as they last a bit longer on high power before the thermal cut-out comes in.

SIP are ones to avoid unless they're the proper heavy duty ones costing £400 upwards, the wire feed on the smaller ones is utter rubbish according to most peoples experiences with them.

The next most important thing is a good quality auto mask, the hand-held cheapies that come with the welder are pants really, as you need that hand free to steady the one holding the gun.

L14MNP
30-07-08, 03:18 PM
can't fault my Clarke 170 or 175? Will look later. Never failed yet and a good deal at 230 quid from Machine Mart. Had a Wolf MiG before that from Screwfix - was fcuked straight away, didn't even power up! So hard to recommend those lol. My Snap-On 130 was OK, did for fitting a new fr. panel on my Nova, hard to get parts for, swan neck was a 'mare to find. Plus the ones that use the small gas bottles at 10 quid? a shot aren't worthwhile if you plan to use it reguarly.
Avoid gasless mate.

Leeboo
30-07-08, 04:16 PM
Thanks dudes, that gives me some food for thought.

Any recommendations on the cheapest websites for welders and tools in general? I only really know of screwfix and tooled-up.com

mikey14sr
30-07-08, 04:19 PM
Machine mart for Clarke gear mate, but keep in mind the customer service is pant's, as the staff are nothing more than box movers.

burgo
30-07-08, 05:36 PM
basically spend as much as you can and you shouldnt go far wrong. try and get a fan cooled one as it makes a world of difference

General Baxter
30-07-08, 05:38 PM
basically spend as much as you can and you shouldnt go far wrong. try and get a fan cooled one as it makes a world of difference

or stick a large desk top fan in it lol

Paul
30-07-08, 05:40 PM
clarke turbo ones are failry cheap and seem to deliver a failry decent weld.

dont go for a gasless one.

burgo
30-07-08, 05:40 PM
or stick a large desk top fan in it lolthat worked a treat and you know it lol

ade
30-07-08, 09:21 PM
I've got a clark 110e (gas) - dont get gasless theyre pants.

I wish I'd paid a bit more for the turbo so I could work a little longer (cuts out every now and again when hot) but its an excellent welder none the less and helped my patch up both my novas good n proper!

Only thing I can recommend is get a big co2 cylinder and a regulator rather than buying the little bottles at £10 a shot. you go through them v quick!

Also - get an auto dimming mask - thats my next investment.

belly257
30-07-08, 10:03 PM
ive got a sealey 180 mig fan cooled, purchased it off ebay and has been spot on welds awsomw with argon gas

Leeboo
31-07-08, 12:41 AM
Thanks for the replies dudes! Gives me somethig to work on! A welder will defo be the next piece of equipment I buy.