PDA

View Full Version : Welding help/tips

AlexW
29-07-08, 05:14 PM
As title suggests im trying to learn to weld, but at the min all i seem to do is get half a good seem and then blow a massive hole. I can tack things in place alright i guess.

I would love a couple of pictures of what good pentration looks like (keep your dirty minds away) And any tips anyone can suggest.

_JH_
29-07-08, 05:19 PM
get on limewire and download the haynes welding manual. it's the american version but still relevant.

Also there is a big welding forum somewhere, have a look on google :)

Adam
29-07-08, 05:24 PM
www.mig-welding.co.uk

Awesome site

I learnt myself to weld off it,Lol.

paul james
29-07-08, 05:30 PM
Yep the above site is great

If your welding nicely for a while then getting holes, don't try and weld too much at once, take breaks to let the metal cool down a bit.

Wilson
29-07-08, 05:31 PM
by the sounds of it youve got too much heat and not enough wire, try thurning the amps down a litle bit and increse the wire slightly or leave it the same and might be a bit better. how thick is the material youre welding?

burgo
29-07-08, 05:43 PM
a technique i use alot, especially on thin stuff. its basically spot welding. you weld a spot and move the torch and weld another spot sort of half on the original spot before its cooled down. this way it'll remelt the original spot. hard to explain but does work really well as it stops the metal getting to hot

AlexW
29-07-08, 05:54 PM
Thanks for the advice guys, i will check that site out later tonight. The metal im praticising with is very thin, must be about 1mm maybe not even that.
After about an inch its blowing holes, maybe im too inpatient.

The mig welder only has 4 amp settings, min, max, 1, 2. Ive had a bit of a play with the wire feed too but not much help.

Burgo - i get your idea, i will try it.

burgo
29-07-08, 06:02 PM
what ampage welder is it? id surgest for that thin trying it on the lowest setting so min and 1 and keep turning the wire feed up until you feel it pushing the torch away, then knock it back abit. bare in mind tiny adjustments make a big difference with wire speed. when your getting close with the wire speed check your penetration and adjust the power accordingly

jimbob-mcgrew
29-07-08, 06:28 PM
what did i tell u alex.. ffs.. youll never learn lol

Adam
29-07-08, 06:33 PM
What welder is it?
Power settings sound like my Clarke 90

burgo
29-07-08, 06:35 PM
alot of welders use that system adam

Adam
29-07-08, 06:38 PM
Most higher power ones have more settings though

burgo
29-07-08, 06:41 PM
Most higher power ones have more settings thoughoh, well im using a 160amp turbo and its got those setting, im sure the 400amp at the bodyshop i used to work in had the same aswell

L14MNP
29-07-08, 06:52 PM
The Burgo method of spotting then moving, spotting, moving etc. Works a treat, then just fill in the gaps. Also a damp cloth has proved invaluable to me to stop thin body panels warping.
Aye I'd agree that the voltage is up too far, I can relate dude, welding any panel on a car is a bitch.

burgo
29-07-08, 07:02 PM
The Burgo method of spotting then moving, spotting, moving etc. Works a treat, then just fill in the gaps. Also a damp cloth has proved invaluable to me to stop thin body panels warping.
Aye I'd agree that the voltage is up too far, I can relate dude, welding any panel on a car is a bitch.shouldnt be gaps :confused:

L14MNP
29-07-08, 07:04 PM
lol I spot it then fill in, you can do it right next to the last one or a leave enough room to go back. I had to on my other car, the inner wings are thinner than my mates hair.

AlexW
29-07-08, 07:26 PM
Its a snap on turbo 130amp. At the min i have it at max and 1, with wire feed just below half way.

Its quite old, was my dads hasnt really been used for years.

Nobby
29-07-08, 10:14 PM
a technique i use alot, especially on thin stuff. its basically spot welding. you weld a spot and move the torch and weld another spot sort of half on the original spot before its cooled down. this way it'll remelt the original spot. hard to explain but does work really well as it stops the metal getting to hot

:thumb: this is great for forming a smoothish line but you need a good mask to see whats going on not like our welding mask at work :mad: ulitmate fail!!

burgo
29-07-08, 10:19 PM
:thumb: this is great for forming a smoothish line but you need a good mask to see whats going on not like our welding mask at work :mad: ulitmate fail!!well yes a good mask always helps

Ben
29-07-08, 10:21 PM
Best advice i give about welding is use best equipment you can afford incl mask and make sure your welding a clean area of good metal.

Car panels are notoriously bad to weld as they are piss poor quailty and far too thin.

AlexW
29-07-08, 10:22 PM
Il have another crack at it tomorrow. Today i fogot to turn the mask on....

Nobby
29-07-08, 10:29 PM
gutted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

youll regret that in the morning ;)

AlexW
29-07-08, 10:36 PM
luckly i only had a 3min attepmt. as i was putting the stuff away i realised.

Nobby
29-07-08, 10:37 PM
gona say mate flash is not good!!!

brainsnova
29-07-08, 11:02 PM
i ve got the clarke 105en mig welder and cant use the thing.lol lol what a waste

burgo
30-07-08, 01:36 AM
i ve got the clarke 105en mig welder and cant use the thing.lol lol what a wastewhy not?

Philsutton
30-07-08, 08:23 AM

thats actually how I do it, looks really good when you get just right. I kind of just spent ages messing around with a welder until I started to get good. Its just a matter of trial an error with the settings, once youve got used to it it'll all seem quite easy.

mikey14sr
30-07-08, 08:48 AM
I normally tack every inch then seam-weld an inch at a time from opposite ends on external panels, bit's that wont normally be seen I tack in place and seam-weld as much as I can before the heat gets too high. I only use a Clarke Pro90 but it's man enough for a nova!

TIDGE
30-07-08, 01:33 PM
is that clarke pro90 good mikey as i was looking at buying one of these

brainsnova
30-07-08, 02:15 PM
why not?

I just burn holes and when i turn the heat down the piece of metal falls off if i tap it :( . ive not got the gas bottle as i have to weld outside and the boy said the gas would blow away if its windy

mikey14sr
30-07-08, 02:55 PM
is that clarke pro90 good mikey as i was looking at buying one of these

Once you get used to it it's fine for a nova, it can't handle any more than 2.5mm thick though, not 4mm as advertised! The thermal overload cut's in now and again if you're using it at the higher settings like I prefer to, but I just stick a fan near it and have a cuppa/ciggy break while it cools down, but it can be annoying if you've only got a little bit left to do.

If I was to get involved in another big project I reckon I'd be looking into getting a 151EN or 160EN as they have fan cooling built in, and will handle 4mm thick with the extra power they've got. The only real difference between these two is that the 160 has better cooling, so will weld at higher power a bit longer than the 151 before the thermal cut comes on.

Brains, sounds like you could do with going through the tutorials on mig-welding.co.uk and have a few practice and play sessions to get used to it, I take it you're using the proper flux-cored wire if not using gas? I still use mine with gas outdoors and don't have too much trouble, once I've set up a couple of wind-breaks if it's a bit blowy.

burgo
30-07-08, 05:42 PM
I just burn holes and when i turn the heat down the piece of metal falls off if i tap it :( . ive not got the gas bottle as i have to weld outside and the boy said the gas would blow away if its windylol what boy? you will never get a good weld unless you have to gas.

TIDGE
30-07-08, 07:36 PM
Once you get used to it it's fine for a nova, it can't handle any more than 2.5mm thick though, not 4mm as advertised! The thermal overload cut's in now and again if you're using it at the higher settings like I prefer to, but I just stick a fan near it and have a cuppa/ciggy break while it cools down, but it can be annoying if you've only got a little bit left to do.
i dont mind waiting will it cools down and this was all my budget can streach to

burgo
30-07-08, 07:47 PM
whip the case off and have the fan blowing on it constantly and it wont cut out. :thumb:

ade
30-07-08, 09:18 PM
if youre blowing holes turn the wire speed up or move the torch a little faster.

Also make sure your working area is spotless - remove all paint/sh1te from both sides of the panels being welded. If using grinder/disc sander to remove paint/sh1te be careful you to it carefully. once on metal stop. Its easy to take the top of the metal which can change thickness dead easily and you'll blow it easily too. A penetreated weld will partly show through the back of the panel. Spot welding technique is great but takes ages - although nest for getting used to how long you can keep torch in one place.

Took me a while to get used to it but once you do its like riding a bike. My clarke 110 also has too settings and a wire speed. I usually have it on 1 for speed and 2 for power with wire at about 5.5-6. For 0.8mm metal (average panel) its a spot on setting. Setting 2 for power may seem high but the welder only cranks it up if you flick both switches on to max then all hell breaks loose!

lol

Keep practicing on scrap - you'll get it eventually!

AlexW
30-07-08, 09:26 PM
I shall be having another go soonish, but its too damm hot!.

Ade i think ive got the pentration right, like you can see where the weld is, but i need a picture lol

brainsnova
31-07-08, 12:09 PM
lol what boy? you will never get a good weld unless you have to gas.

Time for me to swap it over to gas and have another go. That way i can weld things the way i want :thumb:

AlexW
31-07-08, 03:51 PM
Had a go today, 1st bit of metal didnt seem too bad, but second i had probs with the wire sticking (welder does it some times) See pics.

First piece.
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh30/AW_06/HPIM0770.jpg
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh30/AW_06/HPIM0771.jpg

Second.
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh30/AW_06/HPIM0772.jpg
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh30/AW_06/HPIM0773.jpg

mikey14sr
31-07-08, 04:22 PM
wire sticking in the tip? more wire speed needed. looks like you either need to move quicker or turn the power down a bit too.

AlexW
31-07-08, 04:23 PM
No the reel sticks.

Edit: If i turn the power down it can barly work!

Adam
31-07-08, 04:26 PM
So the wire stops feeding?
Adjust the tightness of the reel clamp, inside the welder.
Or increase the tightness of the wire roller clamp

AlexW
31-07-08, 04:31 PM
I know my brother had a play with it but i havnt touched it, it has been fine. I will have a look next time i have a go.

burgo
31-07-08, 04:34 PM
oh my!! you really are a learner :P

AlexW
31-07-08, 04:36 PM
It took u this long to work that out!?

draper
31-07-08, 05:26 PM
i used to have a welder :(

it is all about practice and clean metal with cars

mikey14sr
31-07-08, 05:43 PM
Just realised I forgot to keep the SR's bonnet for spare steel in case I needed it, haven't got any left to doodle away on.

_JH_
31-07-08, 07:52 PM
If the wire is sticking try removing the tip and blowing down the liner with a compressor.

Could be full of dust, and if only used occasionally, rust from the wire. If the reel cover is removed you'll be able to see the sh!te coming out.

My advice to anyone with a hobby mig [ie hard wired torch] is to replace the plastic liner with a metal one. It'll need trimming down but it transformed my poxy Ferm welder I use at home.

If you can, look out for a 2nd hand Murex Tradesmig, they go on for years and you can still get parts for the 20yr old models easily.

draper
01-08-08, 01:48 PM
If you can, look out for a 2nd hand Murex Tradesmig, they go on for years and you can still get parts for the 20yr old models easily.

couldnt agree more, i know someone who has one, hes had it 22years and its only needed repairing once - im hoping to get myself one soon

5doornovaboy
01-08-08, 02:33 PM
to be honest its all about the quality of the welder i work in a bodyshop and we use cebora and these are the best money can buy imo you can tell if its about to blow a hole when the heat band sudedenly widens, then its time to take ur finger off the trigger lol
iv'e just finished my 3 years panel beating apprentaship with ford and it took me about 6 months to be able to get perfect welds all the time. and i spent a hour everyday at work practcing

DaveyLC
01-08-08, 02:57 PM
Number one tip is get a good earth and clean ANY crud off the surface..

Also its well worth stripping your welder down, cleaning and lubing the wire tube, there are special cleaners available..

I've been welding bits and bobs for a good few years (as a hobbyist) and still dont think im that good... I started off with a Gasless Sip Migmate, its very un-complicated and allows you to learn to handle the torch before you get confused with the various settings on more high end machines.. I know run an a reasonable 190amp Einhell SGA Turbo, it does make a big difference having a nice big featured welder but at the same time its good to learn on something simpler to configure :)

I've done 90% of the welding on my Mid engined Nova and I'm pretty happy with it.. Some of the more awkward bits (upside down & tight spots) have been done by a local pro and I dont mind admiting that :) but hey we cant all be good at everything :D

AlanH
02-08-08, 11:41 AM
if you're welding the shell of your car make sure theres nothing flammable on the inside as well, sound deadening, carpet etc. just cost me the carpet on mine and ate some sound deadening :( keep a bucket of water nearby as well. i tried a fire extinguisher that i always keep on the wall, stupid thing didn't even work(from about 1960 i reckon), by the time i got some water and put it out carpet was f**ked.

AlexW
02-08-08, 12:20 PM
I doubt i will be welding my car anytime in the near future, and if i was its striped out in the rear (where all the welding needs doing) and i have a fire proof sheet thing.

brainsnova
02-08-08, 12:37 PM
i love it when people weld with the battery connected and risk killing the ecu etc lol

draper
02-08-08, 12:40 PM
i love it when people weld with the battery connected and risk killing the ecu etc lol

its so you can listen to the radio ;)

brainsnova
02-08-08, 12:42 PM
lol im trying to weld tomorrow second attempt in my life

AlanH
03-08-08, 11:33 AM

seen a battery fry with someone doing that. mistook a febreze bottle for the water bottle i use to put small welding fires out once as well, f*ck me that stuff burns well!