PDA

View Full Version : lowering??

wilk182
04-10-02, 02:49 PM
can someone explain how cars are lowered? can it be done on the original suspension springs or do u need to buy new ones, if so how much do a set cost?

wilko

GR
04-10-02, 03:18 PM
The springs are what decipher the cars ride height, you can have lowering springs only or both springs and shocks.

You'll notice better handling if you get stiffened shocks, but a much bumpier ride.

Will
04-10-02, 04:34 PM
i would not recommend using the orginal springs, chopping coils off is a really bad idea and not safe, you can get a set of lowering springs new fro around 80 quid or half this if youu buy 2nd hand :)

Nutter

Ric 16v
04-10-02, 06:56 PM
slam the fucker 60mm on shocks and springs !!! u can get them from demon tweeks any car accessory dealer realy !!!!!! or if u have enough money you could go for coilovers which go to 120mm :D (I think) for around ?400-?500 coilovers would be best if u want ur car PROPER LOW !!!!!!! can't wait untill I get some :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

ade
07-10-02, 11:27 PM
Lowering yer car not only makes it look goods but also changes the centre of gravity - making it handle better (providing set up properly and in my opinion)

There are various heights you can go to - what ever you do make sure you do both springs and shocks (otherwise known as dampers).

DSont just change springs as you will not get the correct ride height for the springs because the original shocks are too long. Lowered springs come with shorter shocks which reduce the ride height properly. These are also stiffer to allow for the shorter distances - making the ride alot firmer. Gives that car the characheristic bumping up and down when travelling over bumps - cars with soft suspension roll over bumps like jelly - slammed cars bounce off bumps (mine doed anyway!) :o :twisted:

Its as cheap or as expensive as you want it to be. A m8 of mine got a full set of GMAX 60mm springs n dampers for ?40 off of ebay!

I however paid ?210 inc delivery to my front door for same kit

Check out back of car mags etc...

Fitting is fairly easy but you should use a torque wrench - suspension is serious stuff. Be prepared to pay updards of ?80 to get a garage to fit for ya (shop around).

If you go 60mm you will need to cut down the bump stops in the front suspension (rubber stoppers that stop top of suspension strut slamming into the suspension housing on the body)

Hope this helps

Ade