PDA

View Full Version : Problem found..

1.6 8v turbo nova
29-07-08, 08:49 AM
Hi if i posted about problems i was having with the 1.6 8v turbo..
thinking it was stem seals valves etc etc .. rebuilt top half.. when it still wasnt fixed.. piston rings..

have a look at this.. might give you a laugh, think this is whats causing all the smoke? lol lol lol

Oh and btw im in malta.. and this place is nova ridden, seen uncountable hatchs and around 20 saloons! :thumb:

http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/9732/564528072008386kv0.th.jpg (http://img73.imageshack.us/my.php?image=564528072008386kv0.jpg)

craig green
29-07-08, 10:00 AM
That would explain it!

Mike
29-07-08, 04:52 PM
lol looks fine to me lol

Bet your blocks funked now too

Adam
29-07-08, 05:10 PM
Nice.
Aye,you can see wheres it scored against the block bore

mikey14sr
29-07-08, 05:41 PM
Nice.
Aye,you can see wheres it scored against the block bore

and also that part of the second compression ring is missing, wonder where that ended up?

Adam
29-07-08, 05:44 PM
Better check the sump,Lol

burgo
29-07-08, 06:06 PM
holy funk

Adam
29-07-08, 06:09 PM
Thats probably the cost of pushing a good amount of boost with a spacer plate and std pistons!

Paul
29-07-08, 06:15 PM
new block time

novait
29-07-08, 07:02 PM
oh dear.....

1.6 8v turbo nova
29-07-08, 08:15 PM
haha! nice replies, blocks fine. And yeah that's what happens when std piston's get introduced to 14 psi of boost from a turbo off a nissan 240sx.. and a rather large right foot :D .

getting it rebored, new pistons, new oil pump/bearings etc etc..

then i might consider turning the turbo down, but where's the fun in that? lol

Gonna chip it get a better fuel pump. Aiming for 200bhp, or 250bhp with a lil shot of nos XD!

If it blows then its redtop turbo time.:thumb:

so buying a 3k nova.. doing 200 miles and costing another 1k one hell of a expensive 17 year old car rofl.

It WILL be back and better than ever :D!

See you at pod sometime ;)

Mike
29-07-08, 09:48 PM
Chip isnt worth the money or hassle. £300 for 6bhp? Get a megasquirt kit on it.

1.6 8v turbo nova
30-07-08, 07:42 AM
Chip isnt worth the money or hassle. £300 for 6bhp? Get a megasquirt kit on it.

Never heard about one of them before, cheers :thumb: .

just researched abit on it.. ill have a proper read later when i get back from 'splash and slide' lol. Didnt know chips only gave 6bhp :S oh well thats that idea out of the window.

mikey14sr
30-07-08, 08:57 AM
A chip will probably only be programmed for a slightly tuned non-turbo'd engine, so is a bit daft when you consider how lean it could be running (big holes in the top of the pistons if it's really lean).

A fully programable management system would be the way forward imo too, obviously it'll need time and money at a good RR tuners, but they'll be able to get everything set properly on the fueling and ignition to hopefully prevent any further meltings.

craig green
30-07-08, 05:07 PM
The Chips for 1600 8v's were crap. 6bhp if you were very lucky. TBH I doubt you can get them anymore.

Save your money & get a standalone setup mapped & installed.

Paul
30-07-08, 05:27 PM
ill eat my entire car if that block is not in need of a rebore.

Why you having it rebored if it doesnt need it?

1.6 8v turbo nova
30-07-08, 08:23 PM
ill eat my entire car if that block is not in need of a rebore.

Why you having it rebored if it doesnt need it?

you say you'd eat your car if the block is not in need of a rebore, then say why you having it rebored if it doesnt need it? lol

bigger better pistons my friend :thumb:

Adam
30-07-08, 08:31 PM
Get some low cr forged pistons in there, and then run some PROPER boost ;)

Paul
30-07-08, 08:43 PM
That block will need atleast +1mm overbore I'd say, will leave the wall's too thin between the bores for a turbo IMO. As it will make it run hotter than a NA, that is why you need a new block.

1.6 8v turbo nova
31-07-08, 07:04 PM
That block will need atleast +1mm overbore I'd say, will leave the wall's too thin between the bores for a turbo IMO. As it will make it run hotter than a NA, that is why you need a new block.

Dont need a new block and its not having a rebore now, got a new piston for cheap. be on the road for tues/wed :D

Adam
31-07-08, 07:05 PM
But what about the big score down the cylinder wall????

1.6 8v turbo nova
31-07-08, 07:12 PM
there is no score in the block, think the marks on the pistons are just from heat or something.
I'm not in eng atm so i'm just saying what mates told me over msn.
:)

Adam
31-07-08, 07:19 PM
Hmm, id wait and have a closer look/feel.
That looks to me when the piston broke, it scored against the bore, causing the witness mark on the piston?

1.6 8v turbo nova
01-08-08, 08:04 AM
haha, prob threw it on floor. Nah i trust the guy, so if he says its okay . its okay :).

he said hes took it to a place to get everything looked at, they say the block is a minter. Also had the other 3 pistons 'x-rayed' to make sure they was'nt cracking and going down the same road as that one did. It's from overheating, so imma get some of that rad cooler that is meant to bring temp down a extra 30 deg. and get some bigger fans etc, the seller must of knew it was going thats why he sold it to me.. because when i was taking the car home on the i saw smoke rising from the bonnet but thought it was rain on hot manifold.. oviously it was the piston going fooked. Oh well looks like a i pulled the short straw lol!

Adam
01-08-08, 03:49 PM
It probably was just rain on the manifold.

Also, when the guy says Overheating, sure he doesnt mean the heat from the boost your running, killing the piston. And not coolant temperature

mikey14sr
01-08-08, 04:34 PM

Also, when the guy says Overheating, sure he doesnt mean the heat from the boost your running, killing the piston. And not coolant temperature

Or from it running lean?

craig green
01-08-08, 04:39 PM
Mine used to cook head gaskets because the injectors were blocked/old. If the spray pattern of fuel is poor, the fuel doesnt atomise properly & you get hot spots where there is no burn. Fuel cools the piston crowns during the combustion cycle.

I strongly recommend having the injectors cleaned before you run any boost through it again. Also, if its a Courtenay job or similar, check the vacuum switch is operating. If they fail, the fuelling isnt increased upon boost. Instant melt down.

1.6 8v turbo nova
01-08-08, 05:22 PM
Thank's for the pointers/tips, i'll use them. Hmm on the digi dash.. the oil temp has never seen over 2 bars out of 5. and the water temp (after a 3 hour stop start journey on motorway) has seen 3 bars out of 5. (not 100% sure on how many bars but 100% sure it was 2 from red.)

Craig, not sure what you mean by the vacuum switch.
I am sure that it has a courtenay 'trick switch' tho. This forces more fuel when its running boost... so it's still ecomonical off boost, but gets plenty fuel on boost.
EDIT.. When the head gasket came off it was in perfect condition.. 9k miles after rebuild, and it got abused around the 'burg ring for most of them miles. :cool:

I have to run the car in properly, therefore i won't be on boost. So in that period i'll get the injectors cleaned to be on the safe side! :thumb:

1.6 8v turbo nova
01-08-08, 05:28 PM

Wasnt rain on the manifold, as it did it everytime. i only drove it 200 miles before smoke started apearing more. And i didnt 'abuse' it, yeah i put my foot down abit, but let it warm/cool properly before/after doing.;)

Hmm 14 PSI of boost is probally making the std pistons hot.. :roll:

mikey14sr
01-08-08, 05:59 PM
Oil pressure should be hitting the 4th bar on the dash, when revved, and when the engine's stone cold.

1.6 8v turbo nova
01-08-08, 06:01 PM
Oil pressure should be hitting the 4th bar on the dash, when revved, and when the engine's stone cold.

:confused: never seen it over 2. Thought it was temp tbh, im flying back at 4am so, ill get some pics of the rebuild and get properly updated on the work thats been carried out :thumb:

novacabrio
22-08-08, 12:33 AM
Hi if i posted about problems i was having with the 1.6 8v turbo..
thinking it was stem seals valves etc etc .. rebuilt top half.. when it still wasnt fixed.. piston rings..

have a look at this.. might give you a laugh, think this is whats causing all the smoke? lol lol lol

Oh and btw im in malta.. and this place is nova ridden, seen uncountable hatchs and around 20 saloons! :thumb:

http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/9732/564528072008386kv0.th.jpg (http://img73.imageshack.us/my.php?image=564528072008386kv0.jpg)

but its not a 1.6 lmfao

meritlover
22-08-08, 03:14 PM
any reasonable boost on an engine that has a timing map for N/A is asking for trouble.

fueling is easily sorted, but the timing os all too often neglected and means detanation occurs and pistons break ring-lands much the same as yours.

programmable 3D spark and fuel is the only way to do it properly. especially considering the financial outlay its taken you to get the project this far!!