PDA

View Full Version : Front bumper clip/rivets

MK999
28-07-08, 10:36 PM
Trying to take my bumpers off atm to get at some rust that needs treating before it spreads etc, and on the front there's 4 fastenings on the underside of the bumper that the haynes manual describes as rivets and helpfully tells you simply to "remove" them.

Obviously missing a trick here somewhere, I'm guessing they're not actual rivet drill it out style jobs, so how do I get them off? :confused:

edit: it's a K reg mk2, forgot to mention that :)

brainsnova
28-07-08, 11:59 PM
im thinking they are the plastic one that you just need a nail punch or similar tool to push the pin in the centre out then the rest pops out with little force

MK999
29-07-08, 01:29 AM
From the top or bottom? I tried from the bottom but that didn't seem to work, although it was hard to get any kind of swing at it, and the top would be impossible, I could barely get an allen key in there to try and push down on it.

Jcb
29-07-08, 05:54 PM
They are clips which have a plastic insert in them. This spreads them and makes them grip. You just need a small flat head screw driver to push the insterts out from the top downward i think. Make sure you dont lose the little inserts as they can be put back in after.

MK999
30-07-08, 12:10 AM
got them out earlier today, seems they work both ways but getting to the bottom is easier obviously, altho it's quite hard to get the swing on them when they're 16 years old and never been out ! Thanks for the help guys :)