PDA

View Full Version : oil light

giss
27-07-08, 06:44 PM
hi all,
when driving ive noticed that my oil light keeps going on and off all the time even after 20 mins or so of driving some time it stays on for a few seconds and somtimes it's blinking on and off but its pretty constantly flashing

any idea's oil pressure? the sensor maybe???

thanks

Mike
27-07-08, 07:39 PM
You need some more oil as your running low :thumb:

giss
28-07-08, 03:37 AM
that was my first thought checked the dip stick and seems to be well topped up, when i reconned my engine i put all new oil in so oils only been in for a year ???

mikey14sr
28-07-08, 08:22 AM
Sounds like it's due an oil change. You shouldn't really leave oil in that long after a major rebuild, 1000 miles at most, as any swarf from any machining will easily block up the filter by then, which would cause the pressure relief valve to operate resulting in very low/no pressure.

The PRV could also be stuck, they're known for sticking on some engines which ends up killing them, or your oil pump could be packing up.

Dod
28-07-08, 10:38 AM
Try the connection or the wire to it. It may be damaged as the rebuilt took place.

craig green
28-07-08, 10:45 AM
Change it for some fresh 10W 40. Examine the wiring to the sender & take it from there.

giss
29-07-08, 01:48 AM
ok cheers would you suggest draining out all the old oil? if so how do i go about doing that and where is the sensor located( drivers side at the back 2 wires coming off??) i was running the car today and i noticed when the oil light came on and i reved my engine a little it went straight off??

Dod
29-07-08, 10:48 AM
Sounds like its low on oil. To Drain the oil out you need to jack the car up, get onto the Oil Sump Plug (iirc 17/19mm), remove it and have something suitable to catch the oil with it as it empties.

The oil light sensor it on the rear drivers side of the block at the bottom. 1 wire (green/blue?)

It really sounds like your car is low on oil mate, wheres it showing on the dip stick?

giss
29-07-08, 11:43 AM
about half a mm below the max line

Stuart
29-07-08, 12:28 PM
is this with a cold (ie stood for a few hours) engine?

you reconned the engine but you dont know how to do an oil change.... hmmm
get a haynes manual!