PDA

View Full Version : Really puzzled

Jcb
26-07-08, 12:40 PM
The other night, I left my house from a cold start, no problems what so ever. After about 2-3 miles, mid-gear change, the enging in my Nova completely cut out. So i coasted to to a halt and tried starting (assuming it had just stalled out) But to no avail?

The starter motor was turning happily but the engine didn't even stutter, just nothing happened except being turned over by the motor. I had filled it with petrol just earlier that day so it certainly wasn't a lack of fuel. Unless the pump cut out?

After making a few phone calls to arrange some help, I tried one last attempt and it jumped into life like there was ntohing ever wrong!?

The tempreture was fine the whole time, it just completely stopped working one minute, and then just started the next? It's been driving fine ever since, except for a very low idle followed by it over revving its's self for a few seconds to compensate upon a cold start. Once that's out of the way, it's fine.

It's a completely standard 1.2 SPi. And it's got me completely baffled. It simply has a mind of it's own!

If anyone could shine a light on the situation or maybe let me know to expect it again or how to prevent it etc i'd be very greatful! It's soon to come up for sale so I want it to be running right! It'll be you guys on here that get the first offer! ;)

Thanks

brainsnova
26-07-08, 12:45 PM
i could be wrong but it may be the automatic choke not shutting off

Jcb
26-07-08, 08:41 PM
I'm not sure if the fuel injected engines have a choke?

I have just pulled a load of wadding out of the exhaust pipe aswell now... It must all happen at once...

Any other ideas?

Dod
26-07-08, 10:57 PM
Coil and Injection Module below the coil. Any Money.

Lee-170
27-07-08, 12:49 AM
same thing happened to my 1.2 spi the ecu was the problem mate exactly the same symptoms good luck :thumb:

Jcb
27-07-08, 11:12 AM
So can i expect it to happen again at a random point in time? Changing the ECU shouldnt be too difficult should it? What about this coil and injection module?

Jcb
05-08-08, 05:42 PM
hi everyone, this just happened again. except this time, it won't start again for ****. are we still going with the coil and module under it [Dod]?

thanks

EDIT: how much is a coil and igniter module second hand roughly anyone?! :)

Mikey_J
05-08-08, 07:44 PM
You pulled wadding out of the exhaust? Could be possible that one of the silencers is blocked perhaps? Try cleaning the throttle body out aswell... certainly cant do any harm can it :)

Jcb
05-08-08, 11:08 PM
i have pulled wadding out of the exhaust actually :S but that wouldnt stop it one minute thne let it start the next would it? Would it not show some sign of staring if the silencer was blocked?