PDA

View Full Version : Spraying Tips!

twistysnovagte
25-07-08, 07:38 PM
hi all,i have some new panels(doors ,wings and bonnet )which ill be fitting to the car,what i need to know is how many coats of primer?then how many coats the paint itself? then how many coats of laquer?
the paint will be calypso red.
or is this best left to a profesional! just thinking if its easy enough to do then im willing to have ago(save a few quid in the process):thumb:
cheers for the help in advance andy

Benn
25-07-08, 07:44 PM
3 good covering coats of primer, when dry flat off with 800grit wet and dry till smooth,
Clean with a pannel wipe,
Are you using direct gloss as its red? Or base and clear?
Direct gloss 3-4 good covering coats, making sure its ever and coverd ok, last coat on a lil heavery.

Base and clear, 3-4 coats of base making sure its coverd ok and is even, then 3 coats of lacquar, last one being heaver.

Will you be painting with a gun and compressuer? or rattle cans? If its rattle can.. Give it to a bodyshop.

Martin
25-07-08, 08:05 PM
If its rattle can.. Give it to a bodyshop.

:thumb: :thumb:

lee-loon
25-07-08, 08:08 PM
3 coats of primer

sand with 500 on a D.A

2 coats of direct gloss or 3 coats of base with 2 coats of clear

Benn
25-07-08, 08:09 PM
2? I'd put more than that on.

lee-loon
25-07-08, 08:13 PM
all depends on colour and whar colour primer,i never put more than 2 on (HS+)

and for base coat that is the same with a drop coat to finish

Benn
25-07-08, 08:14 PM
I've allways been tough/told 3 coats,
More so with dg as you'll flat half the last coat of with flatting the polishing.

lee-loon
25-07-08, 08:22 PM
who told you to do it that way?im not saying its wrong just i got told 2 coats of base and 1 drop coat,or 2 coats of direct gloss,

Also i have just done my ATA (automotive technician accreditation) and have always worked for major body shops.

Benn
25-07-08, 08:25 PM
My old boss(30+years in the bodywork trade), and paint sprayer(20years+ in the trade) at the bodyshop i worked in for 5years,
learnt everything from them.

twistysnovagte
25-07-08, 08:41 PM
yeah i have a compressor and gun,but the way you guys are talking i think its a job best left to the professional,although im willing to give it a try on a couple of old wings or so, the panels are in black primer,am i to rub these down first?then when i start to primer do i give it the next coat after the first has dried or wet?

Martin
25-07-08, 08:45 PM
iirc u have to give it abit of akey up so the paint sticks?

lee-loon
25-07-08, 09:54 PM
yep sand with 320 or 180 then 3 coats of primer give them 10mins between,or use wet on wet primer 1 coat of wet on wet then flat the odd bit of sh!t when dry(bout 30mins in a garage) with 1000 wet n dry then put paint on top no need 4 keying.hence wet on wet!

Benn
25-07-08, 10:54 PM
Yeah you need to key(rub down) the pannels,
and you wanna let the primer dry a little.

Rexy
25-07-08, 10:56 PM
mix your paint up in a tub with activator and throw it on let it dry and stand back admire your work.

ade
26-07-08, 01:24 AM
give it to a body shop to do that way they can match the rest of the panels. Red is one of the worst colours to spray because the rest of the car wont match (fade) - most shops will spray the whole side of the car or a fair portion of it then buff up to match otherwise it'll look gash.

Yu can use rattle cans but it takes a few. I did my wings with cans - 3 per wing and also did my rear 1/4 panel - that took 3 aswell... Came out well.

lee-loon
26-07-08, 07:00 AM
[quote=ade]give it to a body shop to do that way they can match the rest of the panels. Red is one of the worst colours to spray because the rest of the car wont match (fade) - most shops will spray the whole side of the car or a fair portion of it then buff up to match otherwise it'll look gash.

just blend the panels

Martin
26-07-08, 08:38 AM
just blend the panels

thats ok for you to say, thelads not had and practise in this, and probswont kno how far to go into the next pannel to blend it etc..

Rexy
26-07-08, 12:55 PM
everybody has to start somewhere tho... Personally i would take it to a garage. Nothing worse than having a ****e finish because you wanted to save a few quid.

Oh and coverage is totally dependant on paint, colour etc You apply coats until the primed area is covered. yellow for example can take more than 2 -3 coats to get coverage.

I used to be able to do some repairs with just two coats everything is down to personal preference and no two people work the same. as long as the end result is of a quality outcome who cares.

lee-loon
26-07-08, 01:05 PM
Nail on the head

twistysnovagte
28-07-08, 05:40 PM
lee/ben/rexy/martin/ade thanks for the tips lads,but im now thinking this is defo best left to a pro,im going to try do this in two stages as my money wont allow for it all to be done at once!
is this possible?
new panels on and all the car rubbed/sanded down(ready for paint)!
then would it be ok to then use the car for general puposes for a couple of week, until i get the money together to actualy have it sprayed?
i dont have a garage to keep it out the rain!

andy

Martin
28-07-08, 06:03 PM
yeah it shuld be fine, just dont leave any "bare" metal areas shwoing

Benn
28-07-08, 07:09 PM
Thb rubbing them dont doesnt take long,
But things like undersealing the insides of the wings can be done.
Scotching the inside of the bonnet is a good thing to do off the car.