View Full Version : re shell

raymond
25-07-08, 05:40 PM
how do you going about re shelling a car but keep the original tags and plates

or is there no way possible

and is it legal

Nick J
25-07-08, 05:54 PM
I think legally you have to use a certain percentage of the original vehicle (parts etc) to be able to use the previous shell I.D etc Unsure how much it is but I do believe it is a bit of a sticky process, hence why some people just cut the required no's out and keep quite about it but obviously this is classed as ringing and illegal etc. Best contacting dvla to be sure etc.

mowgli
25-07-08, 06:12 PM
how do you going about re shelling a car but keep the original tags and plates

or is there no way possible

and is it legal

the best way is not shouting it out on a website about cars........

but the law is a bit hazy. If it was a new & unused shell then no problem...
but if you could show proof that you have rebuilt it using all of the original cars bits & reach a certain percentage (of which I can't remember), then they will ok it.

why not just use the other shell as the registered vehicle? does it have a v5?

raymond
25-07-08, 06:19 PM
im not really shouting about it just asking an honest question

i want to keep the original id of my rotter

ill contact dvla and see what they say

cheers

mowgli
25-07-08, 06:29 PM
Sorry about the shouting comment, but there have been thousands of cars reshelled with legit (not nicked) shells & the dvla has never been made aware, but I found this with google

this is the info you want....
Allocating a vehicle registration mark
The vehicle must score eight or more points to retain the original registration mark. If less than eight points are scored or a second-hand or modified chassis or altered monocoque bodyshell is used, an enhanced single vehicle approval (ESVA), single vehicle approval (SVA) or motorcycle single vehicle approval (MSVA) certificate will be required to register the vehicle. A 'Q' prefix registration number will be allocated.
Scoring components
The following values will be allocated to the major components used:

chassis or body shell (body and chassis as one unit - monocoque ie direct replacement from the manufacturer) (original or new) = 5 points
suspension = 2 points
axles = 2 points
transmission = 2 points
steering assembly = 2 points
engine = 1 point
Where there is evidence that two vehicles have been welded together to form one (ie 'cut and shut') a 'Q' mark will be allocated. ESVA, SVA or MSVA will be required.
Vehicle identification number
This is a legal requirement for all vehicles used on the public highway to carry a vehicle identity number (VIN). This may be lost when a vehicle is substantially rebuilt, particularly in the case of kit vehicles where the chassis or bodyshell may not have been stamped by the manufacturer. In such circumstances the DVLA local office will allocate a replacement VIN. The DVLA local office will issue an authorisation letter and registration will not take effect until the Agency receives confirmation that the vehicle has been stamped with the correct identity.

more here....http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/BuyingAndSellingAVehicle/RegisteringAVehicle/DG_10014199 (http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/BuyingAndSellingAVehicle/RegisteringAVehicle/DG_10014199)

Adam
25-07-08, 07:21 PM
Why would you want to?

NovaLad
25-07-08, 07:26 PM
Why would you want to?
Did you not read the replies?

i want to keep the original id of my rotter

Welsh Dan
25-07-08, 07:29 PM
If the new shell has a V5 you should be able to swap the plates.

Adam
25-07-08, 08:08 PM
Did you not read the replies?
No lol lol

I dont get it though, what car is this about Raymond????

Fair do's if its a Sport or something, but if its a "normal" nova I dont see the point personally?

jimbob-mcgrew
25-07-08, 08:16 PM
i thought about this a while back, and i came to the conclusion that providing both cars were registered in your name before one of them was scrapped, surely the dvla cant complain that youve used a stolen shell or anything. logically it makes sense, but the laws today, and peoples greed over money, im sure if they wanted to even tho everything was done honest, they could most probably fcuk u over to squeeze some money outta ya.

elgan
25-07-08, 08:28 PM
guy on migweb (ronnie) changed his astra van, swapped his plates, sprayed it white like his old one and used that with his old plates, tax and mot. seemed to think it was all ok himself when i asked in his thread. maybe worth pm'in him to see what the crack is.

personally id get another shell and transfer all your nice bits over and use the new shells ID, tax, mot etc honestly and properly.

Adam
25-07-08, 08:32 PM
But the stamped vin in the floor would be wrong?

Has to be illegal tbh?
Doing that means you could put your cars mot onto any similar car, without its condition being inspected etc......
A mot is based on the car itself, not 7 letters of the reg plate.

Andy
25-07-08, 08:44 PM
But the stamped vin in the floor would be wrong?

Has to be illegal tbh?
Doing that means you could put your cars mot onto any similar car, without its condition being inspected etc......
A mot is based on the car itself, not 7 letters of the reg plate.
Nope not illegal,as said you just have to use a required percentage of the car then im sure it has to have a new mot after dvla have been informed of the reshell to prove its roadworthy

Ash
25-07-08, 09:41 PM
I do see the point, I've still got my old J710BYD kicking around till I find a decent shell to re-shell it into :D

I know its just a number plate, but it's my first car and I've had it a long time now. It's worth holding on to, I'm guessing its the same for Raymond

Mike
25-07-08, 09:45 PM
It will end up Q plated ;) i tried this before and failed.

raymond
25-07-08, 10:05 PM
didnt think dvla used q plates anymore though

as for why basically ive got so much history with this car it would be good to keep it all original

if the point being it cant be done ill just have to swap everything and use the new cars id

cheers

jimbob-mcgrew
25-07-08, 10:21 PM
ghwaan ray - be defiant.. and plead innocence if the law asks :D

Nick J
25-07-08, 11:34 PM
As far as Im aware q plates are no more, Age related plates are what happens now, If you did this legally you would firstly have to take the car for a vic check followed by an mot for it to be roadworthy again. As said a lot of hassle which is why some people use the grinder followed by a welder!

Adam
26-07-08, 06:22 PM
didnt think dvla used q plates anymore though

as for why basically ive got so much history with this car it would be good to keep it all original

if the point being it cant be done ill just have to swap everything and use the new cars id

cheers
But it would be a different car, the history of your car is tied up in the car itself, not the vin and reg number......?

Jack
26-07-08, 06:28 PM
As far as Im aware q plates are no more, Age related plates are what happens now
58 plate Nova? lol

Nick J
26-07-08, 06:46 PM
58 plate Nova? lol

lol that would be a first! As per age of the new shell I would imagine, similar to what they do with the imports etc.

L14MNP
27-07-08, 02:39 AM
If it was mine and I was intending keeping the car I would probably 'ring' it providing the original ID had sentimental value/history etc. I don't see the harm TBH. As said if both ID's are in your name, what you are doing is giving your Nova another chance, providing the donor shell is sound then I think it is a good thing and why should the DVLA be informed?
Your history is still quite relevant, mileage on running gear/modifications etc as all would be transferred over.

Ringing in my eyes is using stolen parts/shells to hide your tracks and sometimes build rotten death traps with MOTs etc from solid shells. if I were selling the car, I would inform of the reshell. If it is another Nova enthusiast they should be OK with it, as said it is for the good of the car really.

I thought the 58 plate (or newer) Nova would happen! Is it Novasport that has the last, as of yet unregistered shell? I guess it will be assigned a reg. based on the year of manufacture though? I'm sure he wanted to use his Sports ID come to think of it.

Welsh Dan
27-07-08, 10:38 AM
I thought the 58 plate (or newer) Nova would happen! Is it Novasport that has the last, as of yet unregistered shell? I guess it will be assigned a reg. based on the year of manufacture though? I'm sure he wanted to use his Sports ID come to think of it.

I thought it was offplot that had the shell.

Mike
27-07-08, 10:39 AM
Basically, bit the bullit and use the easiest option. Register your "new" shell with your old engine number and live with it.

I wanted to keep my K reg plates onto a J reg shell i bought, it never happened.