PDA

View Full Version : Brake servo

Jack
24-07-08, 09:21 AM
Seems like the brake servo on the saloon is being silly. When the engine is cold, the servo doesn't appear to be working (brake pedal stiff), yet once the car has warmed up and I've done a bit of braking, the servo appears to start working and the pedal loosens up a bit.

Servo on the way out? Brake fluid level is fine...

AlexW
24-07-08, 09:58 AM
Sounds like it but have you tried the haynes method?

Welsh Dan
24-07-08, 10:29 AM
Check your one way valve, replace the rubber grommet between the vaccuum pipe on the servo, and put some more PTFE tape on the thread on the inlet manifold where the vaccuum pipe screws on.

Its more likely to be the latter. :)

Jack
24-07-08, 11:08 AM
Ahhhhhh, it doesn't have a one way valve. I forgot about that, but I do have one to put on :D Would that cause it?

[edit] Although its only just started doing it in the past week... Before then it was fine

Welsh Dan
24-07-08, 01:48 PM
Not having a one way valve will allow fuel vapours to slowly eat the servo itself.

It sounds like a small vaccuum leak where the vaccuum pipe meets the inlet manifold - as soon as it warms up it expands and seals itself - some PTFE tape should sort it.

craig green
24-07-08, 04:14 PM
No one way valve is a no-brainer Jack. Get one on (new about £3 from Vaux).

Leaks sound like a likely cause.

Lee
24-07-08, 06:59 PM
Ah yes, i should have made a list of the bodgery you had to put right lol. I had to make that servo pipe from bits we got from the scrappy.

Dont forget the engine will fall out if you dont replace the glue I used with bolts lol