PDA

View Full Version : Do we need to be more careful? Opinions Please

Jim
03-10-02, 09:34 AM
Hello lads,

I was thinking last night...I think Micky (Apologies if it wasn't you Micky) pointed out that someone from an insurance comapny had logged onto the site and appeared to have been casually browsing the forums taking note of undeclared modifications to our cars.

Do you think it's at all possible that a police officer could be doing the same? I read the post regarding "How fast have you been" (or something like that) and I was looking through peoples replies. People were saying they've reached over 100mph, sometimes getting up to speeds of 140+mph. I know it's a long shot, but chances are that most of those people that replied have probably got there cars featured on this site, some of those features probably have a picture with your registration in view. If not, then the car is probably recognisable and since we now have the ability to put our location by our names, police in your area will be able to identify the car and have written proof that you've reached speeds of over 100mph.

I'm not saying that the police will be able to do anything about it, but certainly it's going to make them more cautious of people with modded cars. The police are already cracking down on cruises and generally seem to be picking on those of us with modded cars instead of the sales reps and white van drivers that really are a danger on the roads.

Another example is the post about cruising in France. Saying that someone did a burnout on the eurostar might sound cool, but do you really think this is going to give the modified car scene a good name? It would be cool to be able to go cruising across Europe, but again if someone in the right authority was to hear of such events, I think it would be bad news for cruisers and modders.

I don't want to sound like a boring old fart, but after trying to attend my local cruise last weekend, I saw more police than cruisers which kinda pi55ed me off (especially since I spent all day sunday washing my car...INSIDE & OUT!!! :P )

I just think that in todays society, where the internet is such a big means of resource, we need to try and show the police and any other authorities that modding and cruising isn't just about driving at stupid speeds. When we do, we do it in a controlled environment, such as Trax and Santa Pod days etc.

Call me paranoid if you want, but personnaly I don't want the police breathing down my neck because I've moddified my car.

Cheers for reading (sorry for rambling, lol)

Jim

carltoncrazy
03-10-02, 09:40 AM
that made one of my post look short............and that saying something,
about the speeding bit,
what eivdence they got?we can jus say we making it up to look hard.
thats my excuse.

Jim
03-10-02, 09:52 AM
True Hayz,

but still, saying this sort of stuff to show off is only going to make the police more paranoid and prejudice that all modified car owners are wreckless drivers.

I'm not going to sit here and say I've never sped, and like the next person, I like to tell people what I've achieved with my car. However, after that post by Micky (regarding the lady from an insurance company) just made me think that there is evidence on the web to say that we've broken the law :|

GR
03-10-02, 09:59 AM
Well said and a good point made there SlimJim.
As HayzSR said there though, there is no actual hard evidence against anyone actually reaching these speeds.

In my mind though, i would of thought that if a copper were to come onto novaload and read a post about peoples claimed excessive speeds, burnouts on EuroStar's etc, they would ignore it, as to them, surely its just more ' Car Enthusiast Elevated Bullshit ' and they wouldn't waste they're time of day on it, let alone chase it up or find evidence ?

At the same time though, i agree that maybe the odd comment should be kept under the hat, just for safety & caution reasons.

Jim
03-10-02, 10:34 AM
In my mind though, i would of thought that if a copper were to come onto novaload and read a post about peoples claimed excessive speeds, burnouts on EuroStar's etc, they would ignore it, as to them, surely its just more ' Car Enthusiast Elevated Bullshit ' and they wouldn't waste they're time of day on it, let alone chase it up or find evidence ?

If thats the case, then why do we hear so many storeys of people attending cruises only for the cruise to be closed down or swarmed with police?

If you ask me, they apply so much man power to cruises that other crimes such as car crime and burgalry don't get the attention that is needed because the police know (or rather think) that attending cruises is an easy way to fine people. I've heard a number of people report that when they've been to cruises the police joke between themselves how many people they've fined in one night.

Posting comments about what speeds we've driven at and what mischief we've been up to can only encourage the police to clamp down on cruising and modified car owners even more :|

Jim

MattyWoo
03-10-02, 10:42 AM
The thing is thought surely nothing can be proven just by what people have posted, because although each person has their own unique username that doesn't stop people using their computers to post.
(Please Alert me if what i just said was bollocks or has already been said)
Matt

djp_y2k
03-10-02, 10:43 AM
I cant see how the police would be able to procecute any1 for wot it says in the posts. On the other hand, majority of the police are utter tw^ts so I wouldnt put it past them if they tried.

I agree that we should think about what we post as the police are always looking on the net to try and find the next cruise.

If we start writing how we've broken the law we will only end up gettin an even worse name for ourselves.

jkhilton
03-10-02, 11:06 AM
The cruise in MK on sunday night was a joke cos of the amount of police there!!!! I went down with my bro and jim, but just turned around and left cos there were so many people being pulled over!! it was really annoying!!

GR
03-10-02, 11:10 AM

If thats the case, then why do we hear so many storeys of people attending cruises only for the cruise to be closed down or swarmed with police?

Jim

Because although some old bill are bang out of order at cruises, it's more of a thing to worry about as it has two potential problems, rather than people posting theyre speeding antics.

1) Obviously the speeding factor at cruises.

2) Complaints from locals / civilians etc , public safety.

Basically, they reckon they have more to worry about at cruises because there is twice the risk.

It make me puke though. Its not people enjoying a cruise who are mugging someone round the corner or knocking fcuk outta some old granny, yet the police are theyre as its potential money for they're fine kitty.
Same concept with speed cameras, its comical. :evil:

Breeny
03-10-02, 12:23 PM
I don't want to sound like a boring old fart :lol: :lol:

I'm not saying anything, Next you'll be saying your under the thumb :roll: :lol: [/quote]

Ian
03-10-02, 01:38 PM
my opinion:

Bollocks

all that drug induced paranoia from micky has got you panicing, as some of you know (sheep dip certainly does now muhahahahahahaahaha) i work for an insurance company and we certainly dont have time to search the internet checking on mods, plus you dont need to register to read the forums or look at the features anyway.

half the people talk bollocks on the net anyway so its hardly proof so police wouldnt even bother even trying for a conviction.

jim you sound like an old fart :P

RobIsGrt18
03-10-02, 03:30 PM
i agree with ya jim

sunday night up mk was silly, the amount of police was SO unnecesary!! complete waste of there resources, all it takes is a couple of cars at each end of the road into the carpark, this will detur the "racing" that goes on up that road. simple. :evil:

?Marty?
03-10-02, 03:42 PM
The police wouldn't be able to prosecute. I haven't read the post as i assumed it'd be full of bullshit, but i don't think it would state that the speed was broken on public roads.
And even if you stated your name, address, road name and the speed, date, time etc....they wouldn't be able to prosecute, and even if they did, a decent lawyer would be able to get you off. It's all to do with rules of evidience you see.

?Marty?
03-10-02, 03:56 PM
Oh, and cruises are shit anyway. Last time i went to one, i ended up with a load of pissed up 16 year olds climbing all over my car and stuff. Ended up with a crack in my bonnet scoop and a dent in the roof.

If you want to go cruising - do what it actually means, get in the car, put some tunes on and cruise i.e. drive round (it's just driving without having an actual destination to go to).

If you want to spin your tyres and do burnouts, buy some private land and do it, or pay to go to a track.

If you want to look at modified cars (which is the main excuse used for wanting to 'go cruising') go to a show like Trax or Max Power Live. At least you'll see some decent cars. I mean, face it, what are you going to get to see at a crusie? Yet another shitbox, the main modification on which is some neon windscreen washer jets. Wow. Trully breath-taking.

And the claim that all the police resources are used for cruises and not 'to catch burglars etc' is a load of crap too. Most cruises take part on supermarket car-parkls and etc, which have been built so people could park-up and go into the store(s) to spend money. Not so they have to re-surface them after midnight burn out competitions. The owners of the car-parks don't want it.
The police are just doing there job, and it's the cruisers that are 'wasting police resources' by turning up. If you weren't there, then the police could get on with other jobs. Burglers and other criminals don't advertise themselves and the crimes they've committed or about to commit on the web. It only takes one or two officers to investigate such crimes and collect evidience. Whereas one officer would not be able to police a so called 'cruise'.

carltoncrazy
03-10-02, 04:41 PM
im thinking bout become a copper,dunno y but the thought of doing 140 on da m1 legally is appeling,
imagiabn all the bmw i culd give producers to.
yep im doing that.
sorry to rub this one in,but every new the old bill were crawing on sunday,a memo went round saying+there were 2 unmark cars at the cruise.
why dont u fink i didnt show up.
sadly i dont fink MK cruise will last much long

Ben (lurk75)
03-10-02, 05:44 PM
A lot of good points being made by different people,

I think that Marty is spot on with his thoughts on Cruises as do you really want to try and impress some 15 yr old slag drinking white lightning?

I quite like the idea of going to france or other parts of Europe looking at other peoples cars as you can see what other people are upto as afterall each country has there indivadual style.

It is true that the "how fast you been" topic is full of rubbish like 1.2's going 120mph etc (my top speed was recorded by Avon and Somerset police force :P )

Jim is quite right though people dont help themselves by writing crap on the net, not just with the police etc but with other people in general looking in to see how people think, as the net is used as a huge research tool.

Insurance companies like people not having Modifications declared as you are paying them money for nothing as when it comes to claim they are not entitled to pay you and all th money you have paid for your insurance is void.

Will
03-10-02, 06:09 PM
I think that Marty is spot on with his thoughts on Cruises as do you really want to try and impress some 15 yr old slag drinking white lightning?

LOL, but so so true, southend essex slags neway ;)

jkhilton
03-10-02, 06:18 PM
I dont know whether it is the people I have been to cruises with or just the cruises I have been to, but I disagree wholeheartedly with marty's comments about cruises being about impressing drunk 16 year olds!

And the point about getting in your car and actually going cruising, have you been to southend? that is what people do down there, but from what I have heard the police are more concerned about that because it is on main roads and not in a car park away from anyone that doesn't want to get involved.

Cruises are a good way to meet people that are as into cars as most of the people on this site, ok, some people that go there are only going to cause trouble, but the majority of them are there for the cars(and I suppose the chance of seeing some naked breasts!! :D )

I will probably read this afterwards and find that it makes no sense, but I dont really care!! :P

John

carltoncrazy
03-10-02, 06:21 PM
none of my post make ne sense
so join da club,

Ian
03-10-02, 06:26 PM
cruising has gone down rapidly now john, marty has a point mostly it is muppets in suxos with neon washer jets or tossers destroying mummys cars, you hardly see any decent cars

Jim
03-10-02, 06:48 PM
Intresting comments Marty...

firstly I never intened this post to be read that I was saying the police can prosocute us for posting certain claims and what mischevious behaviour we've all been up to. However, it does advertise the fact that some people with modified cars do get up to illegal events such as speeding and wreckless driving, etc. Do we really want to be advertising this fact to the police as it would only bring more heat onto those of us that modify our cars for a hobby and our own personnal enjoyment.

You say cruises are sh*t Marty? Well I'm sorry to hear of your misfortune, but I think the majority of people will admit that they enjoy going to cruises otherwise I'm sure they wouldn't do it.

Your explanation of cruising is a little crude. As most people know going "cruising" is a means of showing off your car to other enthusiasts. I hear what you're saying about driving around with the tunes playing taking it nice and easy, but come on, lets be truthful, really we're wanting to impress any other modified car owners with all the hard work that we've put into our cars. We're after recognition from other enthusiasts that we've done a good job with our cars.

I agree about burnouts, I find them pointless and for people that literally have money to burn.

Your comments about going to Trax or Maxpower are a tad insulting. b]"At least you'll see some decent cars. I mean, face it, what are you going to see at a cruise"[/b] - I take it you're having a laugh with this comment, otherwise I find it odd that you're willing to state that those of us that go to cruises (which is probably quite a lot of people from this site) have shit cars? :o Yes you do see some nice cars at Trax and MaxPower etc, but bere in mind these cars have been made by companies that do this job for a living, they can afford to spend ?20,000 on a show car. Personnaly I'd rather see what the lad down the road has done to his car with his months wages. If all you've seen at the cruises that you've been to are cars with neon windscreen washer jets then you really should get your ass down to Southend...it's packed with very nice cars on a weekly basis :D

I never said that "all the police resources are used for cruises" but certainly they seem to over react when it comes to cruises. Unfortunatley there are a minority that go around doing burnouts and handbrake turns in carparks, but the rest of us want to turn up, chat to people, show off what we've done to our cars and get ideas from other people. If cruises could be confined to someones driveway then that would be great. However when a couple of people get together and they both have modified cars, this attracts intrest from others. Before you know it you have 50 modified cars and not enough room on your driveway, so what do you do? You wait till its late evening when the general public are at home and you meet up at a relevant location with lots of spaces to park 50 cars...unfortunatley this makes supermarket car parks an ideal loaction. It would be a lot easier if every town had a specified location for us all to meet up at, but they don't. Instead we have to use what resources are available.

I'm sorry you don't agree with meeting up with fellow enthusiasts, but I'm curious? If you are so against it, why are you a member of a modified car site? Seems a little ironic if you ask me :?

Jim

Ben (lurk75)
03-10-02, 06:56 PM
Oh dear i think this topic is going to be a big one :!:

This is definately down to personal opinions and there is no cut and dry answer :!:

Should be quite intresting though....

Chris LR
03-10-02, 07:57 PM
If West Mids Police Wake up, Get off their lazy arses and manage to catch me, well fair play. I don't expect to see them in my mirrors any time soon.

carltoncrazy
03-10-02, 08:16 PM
sorry but the old bill can catch a nova easy,those new vectras+the omeges will go passed u under 3000rpm,
think we hit a touchy spot here with jim
chill bruv.
fink it was marty point out bout guys trying showoff to teenage girls.
FULL AGREE WITH YOU.
sorry but serious
sadly look at guys that goes to cruises,i aint being nasty but they normal have max power open on certain pages,says sumthing bout em.
ive never been for the cuises,for person reason.
at the end of the day we are improving our cars and adding our own touchs,jim right most "done up"cars are done by companys..........wots the point?????????
its not about whos got the skills,its about whos got the money.
i think thats a shame.

Jim
03-10-02, 08:47 PM
LOL, you aint hit a touchy spot :)

Marty has his opinions, which I appreciate, and I disagreed with some comments.

At the end of the day I don't want to be hassled by the police which I haven't been so far (touch wood). The post was something I thought about after what Mickey was saying and after what happend on Sunday night when I went to my local cruise only to see the police had blocked all entrances to the meeting point and were out in force with speed cameras.

As I drove past the meeting point to turn around I thought "this is ridiculous" there were people with nice cars parked in the car park chatting between themselves. The police however seemed to be causing a bit of a stir. All it takes is a couple of police cars at the correct points so they can see whats going on. It wsa a nice big open car park, so if someone was to have started burnouts, the police could have seen it and dealt with it promptly. Instead there were police units all over the police and to be honest they wern't parked carefully like you would expect.

Thats when I thought is it possible that the police have read whats gone on in other cruises on websites and have decided to clamp down on all cruising. Even when the cruises are trying to be organsied in the safest possible way by people who like modding their cars.

Jim.

Breeny
03-10-02, 09:13 PM
Burnouts are wank, donuts can be funny but agreed that needs to stop at illegal events (as does everything else like that)

Most cruises ive been to have a fair share of shitters but also some really nice cars. Its the same with most hobbies..

Marty is just a twit and obviously cruises down his local mcdonalds :lol:

Cruise scene has decreased rapidly this year and needs to be brought back up. I'm gonna leave off the mk topic cos that should be in a post on its own... There a huge amounts of people in MK with modified cars, and a lot of them do go up the city on a Sunday, its just the muppets who can't accept that acting sensibly is the way forward.

Personally i prefer cruises to any car shows, its a chance to meet up with your mates and its usually a good laff. Most of the cars you will see at shows etc will turn up at cruises. If they don't then there obviously "show cars" which in my opinion is pointless anyway. Cars are built to be driven, most owners will polish for hours on end etc but they will still drive it!

As regards to the burnout on the eurotunnel btw... it was more like a 5 second wheelspin :roll: :lol: and it has already been said that this should stop at the next one.

At the end of the day, only the people that modify the cars make the modified car scene, so its upto everyone to not give up on the various police problems etc. The police have to do there jobs... It will be maybe 1 or 2 people that tell the PC's to go to a cruise, most of them don't want to be there, so be nice and you never know the response you will get.

If you are ever treated unfairly by a policeman take down his badge number and make a complaint. And make sure you do, because there are some down right arrogant ones out there.

?Marty?
04-10-02, 02:34 AM
My original reply was based on my own experiences, and was not just a reply to the original topic, but also my observations on opinions made about cruising as a whole. Obviously my own experiences do not necessarily reflect those of others, so it is inevitable that there would be a conflict of opinions.
I intend to state my opinions and read what other people have to say on the matter, rather than have a 'slagging off match'.

majority of people will admit that they enjoy going to cruises otherwise I'm sure they wouldn't do it

I do not dispute this. However, the reasons why people enjoy going to cruises are going to be different. Some are genuine car enthusiasts, while some are just there to cause trouble. At some cruises they represent the minority, while at others they will be the majority. However, at EVERY cruise there will be someone like that.

really we're wanting to impress any other modified car owners with all the hard work that we've put into our cars. We're after recognition from other enthusiasts that we've done a good job with our cars.

Your comments about going to Trax or Maxpower are a tad insulting. "At least you'll see some decent cars. I mean, face it, what are you going to see at a cruise" - I take it you're having a laugh with this comment, otherwise I find it odd that you're willing to state that those of us that go to cruises (which is probably quite a lot of people from this site) have s**t cars?

I did not intend to say that all cars at cruises are shit. In fact even the cars with very few modifications cannot be said to be of less value than one's that have had thousands spent on it, as to do that there would have to be an equilibrium of factors. Such as - the ages of the owners, their earning capacities, the length of vehicle ownership, the ammount of time/money spent, and intended to be spent, on their cars, and etc...
However, those there to cause trouble are either not even old enough to drive and just get drunk, or drive cars that are very badly, or barely, modified. This is because they are not genuine car enthusiasts, do not intend to put in money/hard work into their cars to gain recognision/impress people, don't value their own cars, and are there to cause trouble. People like that end up causing damage to other persons property because of jeallousness, recklessness or just plain ignorance.
And, unfortunately, they tend to be the ones with the cheapest/tackiest modifications on their cars, as they are not really into the scene, are not prepared to spend any money on their cars and do not have any knowledge as to what trends are taking place in the scene. Neon washer jets were used for purposes of illustration, as whether they are, or are not tacky, is a moot point.

Yes you do see some nice cars at Trax and MaxPower etc, but bere in mind these cars have been made by companies that do this job for a living, they can afford to spend ?20,000 on a show car. Personnaly I'd rather see what the lad down the road has done to his car with his months wages. If all you've seen at the cruises that you've been to are cars with neon windscreen washer jets then you really should get your ass down to Southend...it's packed with very nice cars on a weekly basis. I'm sorry you don't agree with meeting up with fellow enthusiasts, but I'm curious? If you are so against it, why are you a member of a modified car site? Seems a little ironic if you ask me.

What would 'a real' car enthusiast rather do?
- go to a car-park with a 100 similar cars, all with not much more than a different set of alloy wheels and exhaust?
or
- go to a modified car show and see what the best of the scene has to offer.

Yes, i too like to see what modifications the lad has spent his months wages on, but the end result is going to be limited by his own knowledge, skill and disposable income.
Why wouldn't i want to see a show car made by people that's had ?20,000 spent on it by those that do it for a living? People that appreciate art go to Art galleries that feature work by world famous artists, not by their local primary school.
Genuine car enthusiasts would rather see what is ultimately possible, ability and financial resources allowing, rather than look at the same things time and time again. The very reasons you state for not wanting to see those cars are the reasons why they should be seen. Those people earn a living at it because they have the skills and knowledge to carry out such work. And the more money they have to spend on their project cars, which are at the end of the day merely tools for advertising to generate more business, the better they must be at their proffession in order to make that much money from paying customers.
And they are the companies that create the cars that 'that lad down the road' aspires to and where he goes to spend his months wages. You still end up seeing those companies products, but only to the extent of what he can afford. Why see it in small stages, when you can see the final thing, which is not limited by anothers lack of knowledge, ability or financial position?

I am interested in modified cars. That in itself does not mean that i must also go to cruises. Maybe the one's that i have been to were on the 'wrong day', or just 'at the wrong location', but my opinions have been formed based on the observations i made at the cruises i have attended and i make no apologies for that. If the cruises were different, then my opinions may well have been different. But that was not the case. Being a member of a modified car site is not part and parcel of also attending cruises.
Attending a cruise at Southend is not really an option for me. I would rather spend the money it would cost me to get there on modifying my own car.
I think it's unfortunate the way the police are treating cruises at the moment, but seeing as to the events that took place leading to this position, i am not surprised. Because the possibility of those said troublemakers, however minute, the police treat each cruise the same. They do not know what to expect. Whether it'll be total reckless mayhem, or a controlled environment, can only be seen at the actual event. I have been on the receiving end of police harassment myself. Sometimes i think fair enough, we create cars to stand out, and this is the negative aspect of it. They look like they're made for going fast/racing and we drive them on public roads, the police are bound to notice us. And as long as everythings legal there's nothing to worry about. But on somedays i think, just because some modified car drivers behave in a certain way, doesn't mean that we are all the same. However, the same can be said about the police. This is because everything is categorised, and if the majority of the 'modified' car drivers (even if it's just in that particular area) are cause for police concern, they will treat all others with contemt too. But just as some drivers of modified cars shouldn't in fact be on the public roads, some police officers are bigger wankers than others. I have been stopped by both kinds and i have come to realise that the way i'm treated is not just influenced by the fact that i drive a modified car, but by the character of the police officer that stopped me. Even though driving a modified car will be a contributing factor. It will also depend on the extent of your modifications. There is scale - at one end is a standard car (which 'blends in' and the police don't notice) and at the other is a 'well' modified motor (which stands out a lot, but will generally be treated similar to high performance sports cars). The trouble is that, somewhere in between lies the 'boy racers' car. And that is what the police will target. The difficulty is in distinguishing where the line is drawn.

?Marty?
04-10-02, 03:16 AM
Marty is just a twit and obviously cruises down his local mcdonalds

:lol: Isn't that where most cruises take place? That location comes highly recommended by max power too! :lol:
Sorry, i merely turned up to cruises at the locations they were held at. I did not organise them. And if there was a cruise of the type you like held at your local mcDonalds, would you not go? Or is it because an Asda car park is THE place to be? :D

Personally i prefer cruises to any car shows, its a chance to meet up with your mates and its usually a good laff. Most of the cars you will see at shows etc will turn up at cruises. If they don't then there obviously "show cars" which in my opinion is pointless anyway.

If the cruises i went to were full of my mates and had quality cars to look then i'd never leave! And whether show cars turn up at cruises depend on the geographical location of the cruise. Some places will get more show cars than others. Some will get none. The poeple who can only go to the latter, will not feel as enthusiastic about it as those who get to go to the 'decent' cruises.
Show cars are best viewed at shows i think. And at least they will ALL be there, rather than a select few. So you get to look at the ones that interest you, rather than be confined to the ones that actually turn up.

BUT show cars that are all 'show' and are just trailered from show to show are definitely pointless.

Ian
04-10-02, 01:20 PM
i think marty made plenty of good points there.

i also agree with his views on cruising more and more it is being infiltrated with muppets, i used to go every week but hardly at all now, full of wannabes in their "maxed" motors (sunstrips neon lights and jap graphics) typical example just check out cruisecheshire.co.uk, post about what you drive, half of them say "when im old enough..." and other half have rude boy suxos and corsas.

Breeny
04-10-02, 03:31 PM
So just because of some twits in suxo's your gonna give up cruising?

Im gonna use the recent trip to france as an example here.. i can only think of one shitter that went and that was Chips nova... Its meant to be like that, it looks like a heap of poo but has 2.016v with TB's.

Maybe its just up norf you have loads of muppets in suxo's and stuff, we have a few down here and they just get the pissed ripped out of em so dont bother going to most cruises.

Personally i laugh in the faces of those who have all those gay neon washer jets and all that tat on there cars, there just wannabe's and dont like it if you laugh at em :wink:

carltoncrazy
04-10-02, 04:02 PM
if im bluntly honest i think cruising is dead,
its all about money now,
one of the reason im sorting out the carlton,is no1 takes the piss,as it rwd etc,yeh its big brick but its different,
we will always have a twat who thinks it cool to smoke out his cosworth tyres,
until they go,for me,i wont go to cruises.
i aint going to the nova meet in mk as i know the old bill are gonna be there IN FORCE

Jim
04-10-02, 05:18 PM
This post has drifted from what I was originally trying to say, but it's cool to hear what people have to say.

Marty, I appreciate everything that you've said and it's good to see you can reply with a sensible post and not type the first thing that comes into your head :)

I agree with Marty about companies showing off what they've done, but isn't that what me, you and the guy down the street are doing with there own cars? Trax, Maxpower and other such events only happen on certain dates throughout the year. With cruises, they generally happen every week and you don't have to pay to get in. Ok, you might not see a large quantity of quality, but every time I've been to a local cruise or down to Southend I've seen a handful of cars which in my opinon are of the standard of show cars.

Ian, I'm sorry to hear that cruising up North has died down. I never got into the cruising side of things whilst I was living up there, it's only recently that I've been going to cruises.

The main reason I go to cruises are probably to meet up with friends. It's nice to see what people have done to there cars whether its a Nova, Corsa, Saxo, Clio, etc, If I see something that I like I will respect the owner for what they've done.

Jim

P.S. Ironically last night I saw an escort cab with, 'yep, you've guessed it' blue neon windscreen washers. LMFAO

carltoncrazy
04-10-02, 06:53 PM
oi
watch ya mouth,
me carlton GLI only has the neans washer and alloy lookalike hub caps.
lol.
who h8s the alloy look alike hub caps?
I DO

Breeny
04-10-02, 09:56 PM
i aint going to the nova meet in mk

err actually i can pretty much say there wont be any police at the meeting itself. The cruise may well be full of them, They didn't mind 30-40 novas meeting up at the last one ;)

[/quote]

Jim
05-10-02, 01:46 PM
precisley Breeny :) I doubt we'll get any trouble at the meeting, but I can't vouch for the cruise in the evening.

carltoncrazy
05-10-02, 10:29 PM
i ment the cruise.
THERE WILL B OLD BILL BY THE TONS
so tax ya cars boys

CP
06-10-02, 11:01 PM
This reminds me of some of the mega posts we had going in the "good ol days".

To answer your original question Jim - yes you are being paranoid.
I cant honestly see anyone from either the insurance or police bothering to browse these sites with the intention of catching people out - it just wouldn't be worth their time. They are bogged down with paperwork and are constantly struggling to keep up as it is

As regards cruises they have become a victim of their own success - it was bound to happen. All and sundry are jumping on the bandwagon and who can blame them? For many its about as exciting as it gets.

If you want to be paranoid about something why post where you are intending to cruise if you don't want the old bill there? Also why go to the same place?

As rgds MK, having had a van turned over, aren't the police just responding to what they see is a growing nuisance which lets be honest is exactly what most cruises end up being?

?Marty?
07-10-02, 01:41 AM
I blame the Fast And The Furious. :lol: