PDA

View Full Version : spark plugs and blue smoke??

sr james
22-07-08, 08:52 PM
my 1.4 sr is puffing blue smoke when let idle for a min and then given high revs? it does not do it wen cold tho. i topped the car up with oil for a diesel car 1 day as i had nothing else and it was the weekend wud this b anthing to do with it smoking? ive been told that it is the piston rings or oil steam seals. is there anyway of telling which it is? i also noticed a lose spark plug the other day and it has reckd the end that is in the engine duno what has done this??

tom reid
22-07-08, 09:06 PM
Leak down test will tell you wheather its bottom end or top end that's leaking.

white2lSR
22-07-08, 09:35 PM
my 1.4 sr is puffing blue smoke when let idle for a min and then given high revs? it does not do it wen cold tho.

stem seals id say.:thumb:

i also noticed a lose spark plug the other day and it has reckd the end that is in the engine duno what has done this??

unrelated id say, but id be worried if something has destroyed a plug end:eek:

sr james
22-07-08, 10:18 PM
the spark plug that had the end broke of it the lead was flauty on it and it was jumping of. would that b anything to do with it??

white2lSR
22-07-08, 10:25 PM
oh it was the lead end, nothing to worry aout then

and no

jimbob-mcgrew
23-07-08, 08:20 AM
blue smoke might be unburnt fuel from the cylinder with no spark.
change the plug and lead and see what u get

Will F
23-07-08, 08:37 AM
blue smoke might be unburnt fuel from the cylinder with no spark.
change the plug and lead and see what u get

No, oil burns blue, fuel is black/brown

Steam seals would smoke when cold 9 times out of 10, rings are worn under load

jimbob-mcgrew
23-07-08, 08:43 AM
allright allright, mr. brown smoke out the exhaust know it all, but before you spend mega bucks pulling the engine apart and getting new piston rings, change the plug and lead and see what u get.

lol will

white2lSR
23-07-08, 09:52 AM
if you were to drive along, say down a hill at a decent speed and let right off the throttle. Then re-apply the throttle, if you get a puff of blue smoke its almost deffo the stem seals.
Not a difficult fix, head off job though. if its an 8v then its easy, a couple of hours should do it :thumb:

sr james
23-07-08, 05:42 PM
yea if you go down a hill with no throtle but leting it ride on the engine to slow down then give it a blast at the bottom thats wen it gives the worst smoke out, it and wen it siting taking over, and given a rev. yea its an 8v..was quoted 100 to put oil steams, head and rocker gaskets on including parts. ok?? or to dear??