PDA

View Full Version : Help No Brakes!

gtachorley
22-07-08, 08:29 PM
Hi all,

Few weeks ago my brakes stopped working, so pulled off the road, 10 mins later fine so ignored it.....

Today on way to work brake pedal had no bite until the last few centimeters then stopped wirking all together, got to work on the handbrake lol and water was boiling over (water was brown as the proverbial, and hardly any in) . Finished work and drove to a Texaco topped water up and brakes are fine, but worried about this happening again.

My car is a 1.0 with standard brakes, had mot less than a month ago and I know the pad are as new, day off on Thursday so will take apart and have a good look at hoses ect, any one any tips on anything to look out for.

Rory

Pls give any tips
Cheers

large_steve182
22-07-08, 08:46 PM
brakes are overated anyway

mowgli
22-07-08, 10:08 PM
I reckon its in the servo/master cylinder area......

Welsh Dan
23-07-08, 07:55 AM
I read your post as "the water in the brake reservoir was boiling over" "it was ok after i put more water in the brakes". If thats correct then thats your problem.

jimbob-mcgrew
23-07-08, 08:14 AM
yeh i was thinking the same as dan, dont mean to sound stupid, but u didnt put water in the brake fluid reservior did u ? if it was mega low, either youve got a leak somewhere in the system or your pads/discs are worn down to nothing, which will effect braking too obviously. if the fluids as dark as that, its had it and will want flushing thru and bleeding with fresh stuff - dot 5.1's the better fluid to use.

novacabrio
23-07-08, 08:36 AM
Cant be ar5ed to read all the replies but am I right in thinking you put water in your bake servo?

gtachorley
27-07-08, 10:55 PM
Lol, forgot I posted my request for help, no didnt put water in the brakes the car was boiling over but thats nowt to do with it. Brakes have started playing up again.

They hold on and make a squeeking noise at low speeds and the brakes get worse and worse till they dont do anything, fine some days and never on a short journey, gonna be putting 2.0 brakes on this week so will check it all over then.

Any Ideas

mikey14sr
28-07-08, 08:11 AM
sticky calipers imo, keeping the brakes applied a bit which overheats the pads, which starts to boil the brakefluid especially if it's old stuff. You are going to need to change the fluid while doing the calipers, and remember to bleed them from the back first.